• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Room at Country vs. at The Modern

BryanZ

Which should I go to?

The Modern has more interesting food. Country is more classically elegant. I've been the the Bar Room numerous times but never the dining room. Country might offer a better overall "fine dining" experience.

I'd be ordering the cheaper tasting menu at The Modern vs. the four-course prix fixe at Country.

I've read both applicable threads on eG.

Opinions?

Another vote for the Modern.

That said -- Country doesn't suck. (I know, ringing endorsement)

I've been to Country a couple of times now, and depending on what's on the menu, sometimes it's more successful than others. Most of the time the food is quite good and interesting -- a salad composed entirely of mandoline-sliced-thin Greenmarket vegetables comes to mind, and I'm a fan of their cocktails, especially the mezzanine champagne lounge. The service there also is extraordinarily solicitous. I always feel very "well taken care of" there. But the clientele can be very touristy (don't forget, it's in a hotel), and the neighborhood around Country is kind of odd -- not quite business district, not quite residential, often close to empty at night.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either, but Modern is likely to be the better experience.

Which should I go to?

The Modern has more interesting food.  Country is more classically elegant.  I've been the the Bar Room numerous times but never the dining room.  Country might offer a better overall "fine dining" experience.

I'd be ordering the cheaper tasting menu at The Modern vs. the four-course prix fixe at Country.

I've read both applicable threads on eG.

Opinions?

This seems like a totally subjective decision you need to make for yourself, but may I ask how great a part the food plays in your overall "fine dining" experience? I know there's only so much classical elegance I can eat. The Modern far surpasses my subjective need for an elegant setting. It really is an elegant setting and I like its style, but the design of a restaurant almost always plays second fiddle by a long shot to the food for me. Then again, as at many fine restaurants, the best food may be on the most expensive menu or the a la carte menu.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bryan, you dine often enough in NYC - do both! Go first to whichever one your gut tells you to.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It's hard for me to make a decision for myself, without some sort of context. What do I feel like eating, what is the occasion/guests, etc. Sort of like being asked to name a favorite restaurant.

That said: The Modern.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Bryan, you dine often enough in NYC - do both! Go first to whichever one your gut tells you to.

I have two meals to spare over the holday weekend. One will be at Del Posto only to judge its quality for myself. This Modern vs. Country debate is somewhat skewed because it will be with my family and for a birthday, thus shading toward a more classically elegant and sedate experience.

Decisions, decisions.

My vote is on The Modern. I am actually going to the Modern on Saturday night.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I have two meals to spare over the holday weekend.  One will be at Del Posto only to judge its quality for myself.  This Modern vs. Country debate is somewhat skewed because it will be with my family and for a birthday, thus shading toward a more classically elegant and sedate experience.

Decisions, decisions.

What's the opposite of classical--romantic? expressionistic? or do you need Greek columns? The design of The Modern stikes me as very classic, although perhaps there's some drama in the proportions of it's very high ceiling in relation to the floor space. In spite of the exciting proportions, I find the space quite sedate, or at least the restaurant is sedate, perhaps the bar is less so, but that's probably true at every restaurant I can think of. I've been in the restaurant at both lunch and dinner. I probably prefer lunch because of the view to the garden and the natural llight, although with less natural light, the room is probably more sedate at dinner.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Having experienced an extremely disappointing meal in the Bar Room at The Modern on Monday (more later), I would head to Country simply by default....

I have been disappointed by my one meal in the Bar room at the modern and thoroughly satisfied by two meals in The Modern dining room. One was a dinner some time ago and the other was a lunch very recently. The meal at the bar room might not have even brought me back, had I not had Kreuther's food at Atelier when he was chef there. It may be that the menu in the bar room is less interesting or less accomplished.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable