• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East Coast Grill--Hell Night

Nishla

East Coast Grill's "hell night" is coming up at the end of the month. We're going on Oct 31. Is anyone else going?

For those who haven't heard about it, this is a three-day affair of super spicy food. Menu items are rated in bombs, and even the cocktails are hot. The most famous dish is the "pasta from hell" (10 bombs), with a habenero sauce that will literally leave you speechless and breathless for a few minutes.

We went this past spring, and have been talking about the next one ever since. This time, I'm taking the next morning off :wink:

• 1 month later...
East Coast Grill's "hell night" is coming up at the end of the month. We're going on Oct 31. Is anyone else going?

For those who haven't heard about it, this is a three-day affair of super spicy food. Menu items are rated in bombs, and even the cocktails are hot. The most famous dish is the "pasta from hell" (10 bombs), with a habenero sauce that will literally leave you speechless and breathless for a few minutes.

We went this past spring, and have been talking about the next one ever since. This time, I'm taking the next morning off  :wink:

It's a really fun night for chileheads. I still remember the night I was slurping the noodles and one whiplashed into my eye. I was blind for the next half hour, but recovered and kept eating. Ring of Fire is a good reason to take the next morning off :wink:

Jim

• 1 month later...

Well, I've never had NYE dinner at East Coast but I've eaten there countless times and always had excellent food and a good time. My guess would be NYE there will be noisy, crowded and fun and the eating will be first rate.

As for the rest of Inmann, Ryles will almost certainly have something either jazz or latin in nature which is nice. If you want to slum, the Abbey Lounge has some great local rock (it's the dive bar all the other musicians go to to hear live music).

I'm old, NYE at East Coast followed by Christina's Ice Cream for 2nd dessert is fine by me

As for the rest of Inmann, Ryles will almost certainly have something either jazz or latin in nature which is nice. If you want to slum, the Abbey Lounge has some great local rock (it's the dive bar all the other musicians go to to hear live music).

ahh, the abbey lounge. That place is only good if you are very drunk and some dingy punk rock band is playing. The last time I was there (I think a year ago) the Jabbers played - ex members of the Queers and GG Allin's band. After I left the show I saw the lead singer blowing lines in his car with his girlfriend in plain sight.

sorry, not food related

but yeah, head on over to bukowski's and have your fill of belgians on new years eve. Triple Karmeliet, corsendonk christmas, and delerium noel will all be good to start off with.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

ahh, the abbey lounge. That place is only good if you are very drunk and some dingy punk rock band is playing. The last time I was there (I think a year ago) the Jabbers played - ex members of the Queers and GG Allin's band. After I left the show I saw the lead singer blowing lines in his car with his girlfriend in plain sight.

sorry, not food related

but yeah, head on over to bukowski's and have your fill of belgians on new years eve. Triple Karmeliet, corsendonk christmas, and delerium noel will all be good to start off with.

See...now that's part of the Abbey's charm. The coke, the dirt, the noise. Also, they get very nice straight ahead rock as well as punk. You know, there used to be a great little wine bar (Z) right next door; I'm convinced they struggled in part because it looked like part of the Abbey (Abbey Lounge and Wine Bar? What?).

I don't care for Bukowski's as a bar but I can personally vouch for the Corsendonk Christmas beer as we opened a magnum sized bottle at our Christmas Party last week. A good time had by all.

Sheenagreen, you're my kinda people!

sorry, not food related

See...now that's part of the Abbey's charm. The coke, the dirt, the noise. Also, they get very nice straight ahead rock as well as punk. You know, there used to be a great little wine bar (Z) right next door; I'm convinced they struggled in part because it looked like part of the Abbey (Abbey Lounge and Wine Bar? What?).

I don't care for Bukowski's as a bar but I can personally vouch for the Corsendonk Christmas beer as we opened a magnum sized bottle at our Christmas Party last week. A good time had by all.

Sheenagreen, you're my kinda people!

I'm not a fan of bukowski's either. For some reason it doesn't taste like they clean their lines that much and the bottles always seem "skunked." For my money I go to the Public House in brookline. I am there usually every friday and get my share of beers. For a few weeks now they had hercules double IPA on tap for only $4 and it was awesome. Great price for a 9% beer.

I noticed that wine bar next to the abbey and I always thought they were connected. Then I noticed the selection of pizza at the abbey lounge. They put it in that see through "cabinet" or whatever its called. gross

you're my kinda people as well!

Thanks for the info. We get to East Coast Grill for brunch - i love the tortilla rellenas - and the occasional hell night but not for a regular dinenr.

I like the beer list at Bukowski's but never enjoy being there - i've also had lousy beer experiences and it can be very loud. We used to hang out at the Druid, but i haven't been since they renovated.

Is the Public House what was Anam Cara? Fantastic beer list, good food too.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info.  We get to East Coast Grill for brunch - i love the tortilla rellenas - and the occasional hell night but not for a regular dinenr.

I like the beer list at Bukowski's but never enjoy being there - i've also had lousy beer experiences and it can be very loud.  We used to hang out at the Druid, but i haven't been since they renovated.

Is the Public House what was Anam Cara?  Fantastic beer list, good food too.

Cheers!

yup, used to be anam cara. I actually still call it anam cara and never the public house. They are actually opening up another beer bar next door with more seating + a hostess so you don't have to fight for a table. Its called the "monk's cell" and it's opening next month. I am staying at anam cara, though because I like the bartenders there and the bar. I have never sat a table so I don't care about the increased number of tables. However this is great news for a lot of people seeing as how there is always a huge line.

I noticed that wine bar next to the abbey and I always thought they were connected.  Then I noticed the selection of pizza at the abbey lounge.  They put it in that see through "cabinet" or whatever its called. gross

More's the tragedy, they were connected only by landlord. Z, when it was open, was a lovely place featuring Italian wines (although they had some nice French and US stuff too). The kitchen was small but they were a member of slow food and sourced locally whenever possible. Even made their own Limoncello. It was a great place and it just NEVER took off (again, I'm convinced everyone thought the same as you).

Right before I moved back overseas, the owners were selling out. Don't know if it remains or is as good but the original was outstanding. *sigh*

edited to correct stupid spelling error. there may be others...

Edited by IlCuoco (log)

I noticed that wine bar next to the abbey and I always thought they were connected.  Then I noticed the selection of pizza at the abbey lounge.  They put it in that see through "cabinet" or whatever its called. gross

More's the tragedy, they were connected only by landlord. Z, when it was open, was a lovely place featuring Italian wines (although they had some nice French and US stuff too). The kitchen was small but they were a member of slow food and sourced locally whenever possible. Even made their own Limoncello. It was a great place and it just NEVER took off (again, I'm convinced everyone thought the same as you).

Right before I moved back overseas, the owners were selling out. Don't know if it remains or is as good but the original was outstanding. *sigh*

edited to correct stupid spelling error. there may be others...

made their own lemoncello? classyyyyyy,.....nice. I should've went their when it was open. I always commented about it when I walked by it :

"what the heck is a classy joint like this, doing next to a shithole like the abbey?"

how was the food, btw?

oh and this thread reminds me of a great misfits song. whooaaaa hell night

eta: was it that great? considering danzig was no longer in the band

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

gallery_15898_4036_70331.jpg

The Infamous Pasta from HELL, with Sausage Bolognese (You Must Sign The Release Form!) (9 Bombs) Now, this pasta is where things started to get serious. It was the last thing we recieved, and immediately I could tell it was in a whole different ballpark. You can see the slices of peppers just sitting on top (what I believe are either scotch bonnets or habaneros....or some crazy south american superpepper), and the entire sauce was little more than chili paste and meat. What made this dish so difficult for me to eat was the fact that the pasta was slightly underdone, meaning I really had to chew each bite.

East Coast Grill: Hell Night Review

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

Wow, Andrew, I just read the report on you blog and I can't believe you finished most of that pasta yourself! That stuff is HOT!!!. The first time we went to Hell Night, five of us shared the plate. Definitely involved tears, gasping for breath, sweating, etc.

Last time in October the ribs were also one of our favorites. We also got the "Wings of Ass Destruction", and they certainly did the job. The other dishes weren't ridiculously spicy, but I managed to eat a whole chunk of habenero that came with a pork dish. That led to some dizziness and choking, so of course everyone else decided they needed to try a bit too...

Hello, could anyone explain to me why one would go to a restaurant in order to eat food that is so hot as to be painful? food so hot that one has to share a plate with a bunch of other people and is still barely able to finish it?

I really dont get it, but I hope some of the afficionados here can explain. Because I live very close and would regret if I was missing out on something really great.

gg

The pasta from hell is a exception to the rule. Most all the regular menu items are about layers of flavor and not heat. Some are not hot at all.

When vacationing on the Cape I often drive out of my may to visit as its one of my favorite restaurants.

Always wished to make it for Hell Night. Maybe next year.

Robert R