• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelatin Conversion

amccomb

Nope

One leaf = one leaf whatever the colour. They are interchangeable

"Gold" sheets are the smallest, right? One sheet of gold will do whatever one sheet of "bronze" or "silver" will do.

So, "gold" is the purst and strongest form of geatin, less is needed. "Bronze" is a little weaker so more is needed This also explains the price differene between the varities.

Here's a "3rd year apprentice's" question:

Where does the diamond pattern on the sheets come from?

Answer?

It comes from the wire nets the soft extruded gelatin lies on while it dries

So would it be safe to say then that if 1 leaf = 1 leaf no matter the "colour" then if you are weighing your gelatine leaves (for a larger recipe) you would need to make a conversion?

And you could do this by weighing your gelatine in the "colour you use" then count the leaves, use the same number of leaves in the "new colour" and check the weight of that?

Understood - but sometimes I have to weigh out the gelatine for large recipes. For example, I have a recipe which calls for 50g of gold leaf gelatine. Its quicker to put some on the scales than count out 25 leaves.

I'm just trying to link it back to the original question in the first post which was a weight based measurement.

Edited by gap (log)