• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network reaches new low

Nick Soapdish

not that I have a great opinion of foodtv canada to begin with, but I just checked the schedule and it looks like they're not bringing iron chef back this season. I know they're all re-runs but it was the best show on the network, imo. what's the deal? did they have to make room for another rachel ray show?

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

The Food Network (Canada), despite being my go-to channel, definitely annoys me at times. So many of the shows are utter crap, not worthy of viewers' minutes, yet they persist year after year. More so if the personalities in question are lithe young women. There's an excellent recent article in the New Yorker about the Food Network, and the writer's experience of watching 72 hours of it one weekend.

To me, the great shows on the Canadian channel are the original Iron Chef, Restaurant Makeover (for my Toronto food fix), and Good Eats (Alton Brown should be worshipped).

I dont know xtal, I realize its obviously a personal opinion, but shows like restaurant makeover just have no place in my mind...on a food/cooking network. And Alton Brown annoys the heck out of me.

Theres a few shows that I enjoy on FoodTV

Kylie Kwong - Simply Magic, a great cooking show on Asian food.

David Rocco makes some great italian dishes, and you get to see the food scene in Italy...what more could you ask for!

The original Iron Chef is my favourite without a doubt.

But shows like Rachel Ray...and this show about 3 guys who make food contraptions....*pokes eyes out*

I've heard recently that the main Food Network in the US, has also cancelled Iron Chef. Checking just now the Food Network(US) website, they now only air it overnight at 4am once a week.

-Steve

Edited by SteveW (log)

...and this show about 3 guys who make food contraptions....*pokes eyes out*

holy crap, that food jammers show is so stupid and contrived it's not funny. it'll probably go on for 5 seasons though...

I have to agree with xtal about alton brown, I've been loving good eats for years

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

sadistick,

I think my like of Restaurant Makeover stems from my penchant for the old days of Trading Spaces on TLC. Mix that up with some good cooking, and I'm happy.

I fully agree with you about Rachel Ray though... why is she still on TV?

As for Food Jammers, I think it's mildly amusing to see how far three obvious potheads can go on Food TV... but only mildly amusing.

It's sad to see the true chefs disappearing from TV, to be replaced by the likes of Rachel and Giada.

I know that Canadian radio stations have to have a certain percentage of music by Canadian artists played per hour. I'm wondering if the same applies to televison? That would be why there are such differences between Canada and the US.

I remember hearing one story from a former Program Director who worked for a Detroit station, but the transmitter was actually in Canada. He still refuses to play Gordon Lightfoot since he was forced to do so much of it.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

CRTC

That link says that private stations much achieve 60% (day) and 50% (night) Canadian content.

It goes on to say that specialty channel requirements vary - but when I searched I couldn't find FTV.

I don't mind that FTV Canada shows different shows than the US. I just wish they were better all-around.

Yeah I watch less and less of foodtv, I just can't stand the combined onslaught of rob rainford,bobby flay, giada,rachel ray and barefoot contessa. Some shows are half decent, Iron Chef america isn't so bad, some guest cooks are really good and it's pretty funny but I can't stand the commentary from alton/kevin though. Food Jammers is dumb. The new show with MarK Mcewan looks like it might be half decent but i bet it's going to be too contrived and made up, like Made to Order that has the potential to be a really good show if it didn't feel so rehearsed. Restaurant Makeover i find has it's place it's interesting to see what goes into a reestaurant, it's kinda like opening soon.

It just keeps getting worse...

About the only shows I could ever watch were ICJ, A Cook's Tour, Thirsty Traveller, Opening Soon... Now it seems there are less of those shows and more of the ones I dislike. I'm honestly quite sick of the nerdy-foodie type shows (Alton Brown, Surreal Gourmet, Food Jammers - smoked enough pot?) - but then again those shows aren't really aimed at people like me (ie. food professionals).

Oh well, lately I've been watching less and less TV anyway, in favour of reading books...

I dunno whats wrong with the Food TV guys.....that show with 3 guys and some weird contraptions suck,i just saw it once,cant got through another one again.If i were one of the head honchos at Food Tv this is one show that I would never have allowed to be aired.

• 2 weeks later...
One more to add to the list of people who need to be axed from Food Network...Surreal Gourmet...oh man that guy drives me bonkers, and all the tasting and licking of fingers makes me cringe!

Aw, Bob Blumer's really a very sweet man. I'd be happy to go for a spin and a cold beer in his big silly toaster any time.