• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help - Boston shaker jammed together

Bricktop

OK, so I made a cocktail this eveing (a White Lady for those keeping score at home), and I shook it perhaps too vigorously, and I can't get the bastard open now.

I have whacked it hard several times, and no joy.

Any tips or tricks to free the Lady from her glass and steel prison?

OK, so I made a cocktail this eveing (a White Lady for those keeping score at home), and I shook it perhaps too vigorously, and I can't get the bastard open now.

I have whacked it hard several times, and no joy.

Any tips or tricks to free the Lady from her glass and steel prison?

Assuming you're right-handed, hold the metal part in your left hand with the glass pointing up. Now tap it smartly with the heel of your right hand, fingers pointing up, at the approximate spot where the metal and glass meet. Repeat until the vacuum is broken, rotating the shaker a quarter-turn or so after every tap.

Good luck (and this happens to everyone)!

Edited.

Spelling? Who cares about that old thing anymore?

Edited by Splificator (log)

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Thanks, Splificator. My hands are killing me from the effort, and still no luck.

I'm going to try heating the metal part with boiling water to see if I can expand it enough.

(Nice of you to mention that this is a common deal. The drink was for my wife. I made a Bacardi Classic for myself first, which she polished off while I did battle with the shaker. :biggrin:)

These stories are another reason I've gone over to a metal-on-metal Boston shaker arrangement. Since both the small and large parts of the shaker are flexible it is considerably easier to break the seal, and you never need to worry that you might break any glass. Even the fanciest Boston shaker can't compete with a really nice cobble shaker on looks, so I don't feel that much is lost asthetically by going all-metal.

It makes a cool snapping sound when you break the seal, and because you can wrap your fingers around the top part of the smaller piece, it gives you added security to do things like this without worrying that the shaker will fly apart (which eventually happens to everyone with the glass-and metal kind):

gallery_28660_3644_23093.jpg

--

We had one shaker get so badly stuck that it finally took a well placed hit with a rubber mallet to get it apart.  Talk about an icy cold drink!

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. I went to Home Depot at lunch and bought a small rubber mallet. A couple of pops, and we were back in business. Luckily I listened to my wife and did it outside.

Here is a better photo of Sam shaking the bejesus out of 2 junperitivos with a double metal on metal boston setup.

gallery_22527_3599_215678.jpg

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin