• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harris Ranch Steakhouse/Coalinga

syrah girl

We have an Entertainment Coupon for $22 off a meal here we need to use before the end of next month. I would love opinoins on recent visits here. The online menu looks great and you get both soup and a salad with your entree which is quickly becoming a thing of the past. TIA

Eaten there many times on the way to LA or Vegas. Have to agree...not worth an hour's drive to redeem a $24.00 coupon. If you're on I-5, it is THE place to dine between SAC & Buttonwillow. Sometimes the smell alone from the feed lot can queer your appetite!

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

syrah girl. I happen to find your question interesting because obviously Harris is more of a convenient stop while on 5 instead of a destination place. But since you seem really curious and you have the coupon maybe you'd go anyway and tell us about the whole experience? The trip could be a first.

syrah girl. I happen to find your question interesting because obviously Harris is more of a convenient stop while on 5 instead of a destination place. But since you seem really curious and you have the coupon maybe you'd go anyway and tell us about the whole experience? The trip could be a first.

I agree what AlexBernardo said. The fact that you posted this thread to get other people's opinions may be evidence that you are a real foodie and eGulleteer.

... agonizing over the cost/benefit of dining at Harris Ranch with a $24 coupon ...

syrah girl, are you the type of person that will play "what if" games in your mind if you didn't go? I think you should go and give us a full vicarious dining experience report.

At least you're not driving to Kettleman City ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

It's OK - if you like feedlot beef, pumped full of more hormones and drugs than an MLB star. To top off your meal, you'll catch a nice whiff of the feedlot next door...

...on top of all that, their beef is nothing special. I tried it a number of years ago - before I knew about such things as sustainable farming and such.

Bring a sandwich on your trip - and don't go out of your way for this "deal" - life's too short.

My $0.02

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

Stu is spot on - the place smells horrible and they're serving grocery store quality meat. If you're driving between SF and LA, sure it'd be worth considering, but going out of your way to eat there? Not unless you live somewhere with even worse restaurants.

Melkor asks the real question. What are your options without the hour drive? If you live in a big city, or in a foodie-rich place (wine country) then Harris Ranch may not be worth the drive. On the other hand, if you don't have other options close by, then it might be worth while. Remember, it's the Central Valley. Whether or not you like the beef, I've also had great salads there and other stuff with really fresh produce. Of course that was at other seasons and not mid-fall. Besides, here in LA, you could easily drive over an hour to get to some hot restaurant that may not be worth the drive or the price either.

Go and enjoy yourself. So what if it's not The French Laundry or Spago or Chez Panisse or whatever?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I've had many meals there and enjoyed every one. Having said that, I would not make a special trip to eat there. It is in the middle of nowhere and the food is not that spectacular. If you are driving by on I-5 and are hungry it is great.

I spent the night at Harris Ranch in August and found that both the food and accomodations were somewhat shabby. I've had some decent dinners there in the past (HR really is the best option for an overnight stop between Oregon and SoCal) but this time around the steaks were poorly prepared (medium instead of medium-rare, under seasoned) and not very flavorful. You do get a salad with dinner but we're talking iceberg and underripe tomatoes.

Ditto the above comments on the smell. There's really nothing like it.

If you do go, they have some decent California wines on the list and the doughy rolls with whipped butter are always nice, but my two cents would be to save yourself the drive.

Eric