• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Reservations: Season Three

CMeathrell

Has anyone checked the video preview for the new season of No Reservations that's up on the Travel Channel website? Looks like the locations will include: Ireland, South Africa, Namibia, Ghana, and the Pacific Northwest - and apparently Tony is in L.A. right now filming an episode - can't wait to see the inveterate New Yorker's take on La La Land!

Any other word on where else the crew will be visiting?

Now we just gotta wait til January...

Bourdain's already done LA.

This is cool - episodes can be downloaded from Amazon for $2 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Anthony-Bourdain-No-...s/dp/B000I5QJGQ

Mac users are out of luck, however. :angry:

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Bourdain's already done LA.

This is cool - episodes can be downloaded from Amazon for $2 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Anthony-Bourdain-No-...s/dp/B000I5QJGQ

Mac users are out of luck, however. :angry:

OPERATING SYSTEM: The Amazon Unbox video player application is only compatible with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition SP2, or Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2. The Amazon Unbox video player is not compatible with Apple/Macintosh operating systems.

Ugh...that sucks. If you have an Intel Mac you can use Parallels to run Windoze.

We have to wait till JANUARY???!!!!

In the meantime, I guess I'll keep amusing myself with my TV's PIP feature. (So far, the most entertaining combo is VH1's "Flavor of Love" and Nancy Grace, but Samantha Brown goes great with the Teletubbies.)

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Just moved to the Pacific Northwest less than a month ago - wonder what his plans are here or if he's already filmed the show. I have a girlfriend in this area who has a major crush and who would probably go into stalker mode if she hears about this.

Just moved to the Pacific Northwest less than a month ago - wonder what his plans are here or if he's already filmed the show.  I have a girlfriend in this area who has a major crush and who would probably go into stalker mode if she hears about this.

Already filmed unfortunately! :angry:

• 2 months later...

Wrote this last night in a state of slightly-drunken, food-inspired bliss. I had to go back and censor out the naughty words for public consumption.

Dear Tony,

It's New Year's Eve and I'm sitting at my computer, stuffed to the gills from a five-course foie gras tasting menu consumed at a friendly downtown Portland bistro. I'm still blissfully buzzed from the wine I had with dinner, still tasting the duck prosciutto and goose confit that accompanied the foie, and very, very happy with life. Thus, I'm writing to you, cheerfully, lovingly, and slightly drunkenly, to say simply, "Thank you."

You see, a year ago at this time, not only would I not have sought out a meal like the one I ate tonight, I'd have refused to eat it if it were offered to me. All my life, I've been a picky eater, never moving past that stage kids go through where they shun anything unknown to them, especially if it has even the faintest hint of something odd about it. I was a thirty-five-year-old toddler - limited of palate, fearful of anything new, and a horrible influence on my son, who thankfully has managed to avoid picking up those bad habits.

Then I started watching food shows on TV. Gordon Ramsay was the first chef to really catch my attention, though at first the food was less of a draw than the man himself - watching him trying to straighten out lazy chefs and stupid restaurant owners was entertaining as heck and who cared what he was cooking? Still, he drew me in, and while my palate was still narrow, my interest was piqued. I started to read, to seek out books and TV shows centered around chefs and food. Before long, I actually started paying attention to what he was doing at the stove, too.

And then, Tony, I discovered you.

Reading your books and watching you in action on "A Cook's Tour" and "No Reservations" has changed my entire relationship to food. My husband, who after nearly fifteen years of marriage had almost gotten used to my finicky ways, is astounded. (He may also be a bit annoyed that you, a person I don't even know, were able to accomplish in very short order what he hasn't been able to do in all the time we've been together. But hey, he no longer has to restrain himself when he cooks for us, and that's what counts, right?)

The upshot of all this is that tonight, a dear friend and I had reservations for a meal that not so very long ago, I wouldn't even have considered tasting, let alone laying down a sizable chunk of my measly day-care worker's salary for. And it was one of the best f'ing meals I've ever had. In terms of sheer, unrestrained, decadent culinary delight, it was the best. I cleaned my plates, and that, for me, is saying a lot.

So, Tony, I'm writing to say "thank you." Thank you for living life to the fullest and bringing us along for the ride. Thank you for teaching me that there's nothing to be afraid of, and that for God's sake, try everything you can because it's a big, beautiful world with a lifetime of wonderful experiences and delicious food just waiting for you. Thank you for not holding back on us.

Next on the list: Durian from the Asian supermarket over on 82nd. Thank you for that, too.

Thank you for being you.

The durian, by the way, wasn't bad. Certainly tasted better than it smelled. *G* :laugh:

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

I'm just an 'Alpha foodie'-home cook in Tampa, but sincerely, I'm very happy for your rewarding metamorphosis!

I anticipated a corny post, but that was REALLY nice...

I enjoyed reading it!

All the best...

Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun trying new things.

"d00d where r u???"

I'm just an 'Alpha foodie'-home cook in Tampa, but sincerely, I'm very happy for your rewarding metamorphosis!

I anticipated a corny post, but that was REALLY nice...

I enjoyed reading it!

All the best...

Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun trying new things.

Can I get an amen?! (I mean that in a multi-denominational/secular way)

Edited by menon1971 (log)

That's a big change from a year ago...I wonder where you'll be next year?!

I am very happy for you and your family. I wish the picky eaters I know would see your letter- sadly- I think they just wouldn't get it.

Jennifer

That's a big change from a year ago...I wonder where you'll be next year?! 

I am very happy for you and your family.  I wish the picky eaters I know would see your letter- sadly- I think they just wouldn't get it. 

Jennifer

Well, I think it's something you have to be ready to change. I mean, my husband tried for years to get me to try new things and for the most part I was having none of it. But I sort of got to this place where I actually wanted to try new foods. That was right about the time I started getting into food-related things, and then I saw Tony in action and got inspired.:biggrin:

Edited by SorchaR (log)

"d00d where r u???"

I think I just saw the future of fine dining, and Tony Bourdain was there! :blink:

The Gypsy Chef! :shock:

Brilliant! :laugh:

SB (and did I maybe recognize one of the diners?) :rolleyes:

Aroo? Which one?

This was an awesome show. He made my quirky little town look wonderful, which it is, of course. Loved the serial killer reference, too. :raz:

"d00d where r u???"

I think I just saw the future of fine dining, and Tony Bourdain was there! :blink:

Aroo? Which one?

This was an awesome show. He made my quirky little town look wonderful, which it is, of course. Loved the serial killer reference, too. :raz:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1341386

Aroo? Which one?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1341386

Awesome! If that was Ling with the redred hair, she are very cute! I loved the Otter Pop idea and the Pop Rocks. I love people who have fun with food.

"d00d where r u???"