• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream Fillings

RodneyCk

I am going over cream filling recipes and all the variations. Basically, I guess, they are homemade puddings, but differ in a few ways in their thickening agents. Some use flour. The Bavarian CF uses gelatin and cornstarch, usually, and some use just cornstarch. I am sure there are more ways.

My question is which ones work and/or taste the best? I have made the cornstarch variety a number of times, but have always noticed that it produces a gelatinous consistency one gets with cornstarch, sometimes good, sometimes not. Any thoughts?

Also, if you would like to share a favorite recipe, that would be much appreciated. I have a few, but do not know if they are the best of the bunch.

If it's gelatinous, you're using too much cornstarch.

If you can find something called Green Bean Flour (try an Asian supermarket, and it's sometimes called Hoen Kwe flour), Renee mentioned that it's used in some local bakeries to make fudgy, puddingy frostings.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

If you can find something called Green Bean Flour (try an Asian supermarket, and it's sometimes called Hoen Kwe flour), Renee mentioned that it's used in some local bakeries to make fudgy, puddingy frostings.

Interesting, thanks. I have never heard of green bean flour. I will look into this.

Usually I make pastry cream ,and uses flour in small %, its never slippery but creamy ,expecially if you pair it with some whipped cream ( chantilly ).It really depends on the formula , how much milk , flour eggs sugar etc.

Vanessa

You can use your favorite pastry cream recipe as a cream pie filling. A great idea for cutting back on the cornstarch is adding a little white chocolate or cocoa butter to the still-hot cream. Gelatin is usually only used in bavarians, which to me denotes a chiffon-type filling with whipped cream added to either a pastry cream, creme anglaise or fruit puree. More loft, less puddingy texture.

Personally I love butterscotch banana cream pie.

Sounds good, thanks. I am about to start playing around with different cream fillings, pastry creams and the like to make and experiment with two different end products, a buttercream and a light mousse-like filling.

1. The French style Cream Buttercreams where pastry cream, cream fillings or custards are beat into butter and whipped into a buttercream. These are purported to be very tasty.

2. Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible has a recipe where Italian meringue is beat into pastry cream to lighten it up like a mousse.