• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations Sought: Big Kahuna Burner

Dave Weinstein

Three things:

1) Be sure to check out this thread, and any of hzrt8w's other wok burner threads...

2) Check the burners at http://www.outdoorstirfry.com/ -- much more powerful than the Big Kahuna

3) Check your local Asian grocery/appliance stores for even bigger savings on the burners mentioned above

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I'm very happy w/ the Kahuna and I've been using it w/ a 16" 2-ear carbon steel wok (Atlas). The output roar is scary and so far I've never used it at full output. However, there are a few things to be aware of:

The made-in-China construction is of stamped and formed sheet metal, except for the funky sand-cast pot-metal burner, and the admirable heavy-duty metal reversible wok cradle. Overall, it feels flimsy, but it's design is very functional and I've had no complaints. The burner is in two pieces, which you can disassemble if ever spider webs get in there.

The burner is a small 4" diameter, so the heat is concentrated in a small area. For this reason, I would surmise that an 18" wok would be ideal - carbon steel w/ 2 ears. If you have Popeye biceps, a 16" pau style (one long handle) might be feasible. Read "Breath of a Wok" to see if a Chinese thin cast iron version would appeal to you. Note that Eastman's woks are deeper than typical Chinese woks - more Indian shaped (and pricier than Atlas or Chinese brands). The steeper shape may let you get away with a slightly larger diameter, but I can't picture this thing w/ a 22" wok.

This is strictly an outdoor burner - no propane tanks in the house.

For $50 + free shipping (Amazon) I feel it's a good deal - however, mine was not double boxed, and the round body arrived bent. Eastman's customer service was eager to fix things, but I ended up pounding it back into shape with a rubber mallet.

Monterey Bay area

I've had my Big Kahuna Burner for a little over a year and I absolutely love it. Is it the world's highest BTU burner? Nope. Does it need to be? Nope. It is FAR more powerful than what you can probably get for your house and is plenty hot enough for great stirfrying (IMHO). On full blast it gets the metal grate glowing red and the wok smoking hot very quickly. The extendable legs are a godsend after kneeling to stirfry for years in front of my old fryer burner.

It won't last forever. Mine is already showing some rust on the burner itself, but it is purely cosmetic. I would expect the same of any of these units if left outside year round in New England.

Highly recommended, especially given the price.

Good luck and have fun with it.