• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shanghai Cafe

Nathan

I believe "rou" (or the sound that would be made by those letters) means pork, so that sounds a lot like New Yeah's "tong-po pork." The description is spot-on (as matched by this picture). I'm glad you mentioned it's on the menu because I came here once earlier and couldn't find it anywhere. I should have just asked for it.

As for how they make money on it, it's probably not Berkshire pork! ;)

"Rou" means "meat."

FYI, Larry, your photo link sends me into a cyber blackhole.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

re: "Cutting through the fat." If this dish is what I *think* it is, and if by "cutting through," you mean to eliminate the fat altogether, then that is criminal, in Mandarin-speak. Believe it or not, Chinese people DO eat the fat. In fact, as Sneakeater seems to understand, the fat IS the point of the dish.

That being said, I eat it the fat with heavy (pun intended) moderation. That is, I allow myself one piece. Otherwise, I have too much of a guilty conscience for the rest of the week to bear, knowing I could have had a bucketful of ice cream instead.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I believe "rou" (or the sound that would be made by those letters) means pork, so that sounds a lot like New Yeah's "tong-po pork." The description is spot-on (as matched by this picture). I'm glad you mentioned it's on the menu because I came here once earlier and couldn't find it anywhere. I should have just asked for it.

"Rou" means "meat."

"Rou" means "meat", but "rou" without any modifiers (i.e., "chicken meat", "cow meat", "lamb meat", etc.) almost always means pork.

---

al wang

"Rou" means "meat."

"Rou" means "meat", but "rou" without any modifiers (i.e., "chicken meat", "cow meat", "lamb meat", etc.) almost always means pork.

Good point. But, I was just pointing out to larrylee that "rou" simply means meat, although, as you point out, without a modifier, it *usually* means pork.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account