• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some place fun in Vancouver, BC?

elswinger

I am going up to a friend's wedding in a couple weeks, and am looking for someplace good to eat on a Friday night. I don't want to have to dress up since I will be wearing a suit all of Saturday. I am staying in the neighborhood near BC Place Stadium. What do locals think about Steamworks or Dix?

Edited by elswinger (log)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I am going up to a friend's wedding in a couple weeks, and am looking for someplace good to eat on a Friday night.  I don't want to have to dress up since I will be wearing a suit all of Saturday.  I am staying in the neighborhood near BC Place Stadium.  What do locals think about Steamworks or Dix?

Nyet on both.

My choice would be Chambar or Salt. Both are loud, boisturous and fun. How many of you?

I definitely agree with Lee about Chambar, and I would make sure that I have a reservation, because the wait can be up to two hours even early in the week.

Although I love Salt :wub: , I don't recommend it for dinner. It's a great place to go before or after dinner, or just for some nibbles, but it's not really for a meal.

There will be 2-4 of us. We are leaving Seattle at 5pm and since the border is unpredictable I didn't want to make reservations we might not be able to keep. And like I said, after a long drive and a wedding the next day, we'd like to keep it casual but want the food to be great. I've been to Vancouver a lot to visit my friend in Kerrisdale (sp?) and the only restaurant I know from repeated visits is Sophie's.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Chambar and HSG are both very good.

Make a late-ish reso at Chambar - say around 9pm and head on in. If its only two - then a seat at the bar may be in order. Personally - I think the bar is the best place to sit at Chambar.

HSG is also great spot - a restorative Hanger Steak and GingerBreadPudding after a long drive would just hit the spot. Have yourself some tall long beers and a wander around Yaletown - perhaps a second round of desserts at Diner. Sounds like a good evening.

Just to add a few more to the list, here are a couple of fun, casual places in Gastown that you might be interested in checking out. This is more for hanging out on the patio, people watching, having a couple of pints and some good share plates or pub food.

- Six Acres (203 Carrall Street, behind Gassy Jack)

- Chill Winston (across the street from Six Acres)

- The Black Frog (108 Cambie Street)

After reading your original post and thinking about your original suggestions I am going to recommend Hamilton Street Grill as well. Steamworks and Dix can't hold a candle to Neil's food and service. Prices are reasonable too. They'll be some familiar items for the gourmet-virgins and some great choices for the savy-types.

Your choices are not recommended. I repeat - not.

Gastronomista

My friends and I have booked rooms in the Sandman Hotel that has Moxie's and The Shark Club. Are either worth eating at?

One thing that you gotta realize about Vancouver is that for many of us a clean fleece hoodie, a clean t-shirt, a cleanish pair of jeans along with your good pair of runners is considered 'dressed up.' There are probably more places where you'd feel out of place in a suit than you would in a sweatshirt and jeans. It comes as a shock to many from outside Vancouver that we are so casual when it comes to dressing for dinner. I would like to think that our attitude is more Resort Casual than lazy, but it is what it is.

For your dinner in Vancouver on a Friday night, dress as you would for a party at a friend's house where you wouldn't necessarily know everybody and your boss might be there. You'll probably look better than everyone else. Dress in a suit and everyone will wonder what other city you're from.

I would try reserve at Chambar late, as Lee suggested, and if you arrive early, have an appy and a coupla drinks someplace else, in the lounge. There are dozens of great places that offer full menus in the lounge that are fun.

Hope you let us know how your night went!

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

I went ahead and made reservations at Chambar for Friday night. What do you recommend?

Edited by elswinger (log)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I loved Chambar!