• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oktoberfest

Vancitygirl

Does anyone know of any descent Oktoberfest celebrations. Please not the Commodore. I am thinking celebrations with big mugs and lots of sausage (no snide remarks please I know how that sounds!).

Fried Bratwurst, Bierwurst, Bockwurst, Knockwurst......

Some place where lederhosen would be welcome (had I any).

Gastronomista

Does anyone know of any descent Oktoberfest celebrations.  Please not the Commodore.  I am thinking celebrations with big mugs and lots of sausage (no snide remarks please I know how that sounds!).

None listed yet for Vancouver:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Events-Show.asp

Does anyone know of any descent Oktoberfest celebrations.  Please not the Commodore.  I am thinking celebrations with big mugs and lots of sausage (no snide remarks please I know how that sounds!).

It's been many years since the Fabulous Commodore Ballroom has had any such celebration - but considering the new chef is German, perhaps it's time to reconsider...

In my background I've got it deeply entrenched that Octoberfest includes dancing the waltz and polka's however, I am unsure many even know how to do that anymore. That alone may contribute to the lack of appeal to the oom pah pah bands (by the way, try and find a German/Swiss/Austrian band). The beer on the other hand I'm sure no one minds!

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

There's always stuff happening at the Alpen Club (Victoria Drive and 33rd):

http://www.vancouveralpenclub.ca/activities-october.html

i love spatzle!

also something happening in Port Alberni:

Oktoberfest, Port Alberni 2006

Edited by flowbee (log)
album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

I WAS JUST AT OKTOBERFEST in Munich! lol sorry i just had to say it, needless to say i don't remember much, i only made it to 2 beer tents and passed out after a few steins. One of the best experiences ever! The food around was amazing and the beer so unique. The beers at oktoberfest are not made with any preservatives that is why you dont hangovers from the beer there.