• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venison Rawhide

FabulousFoodBabe

Once again,I have an allergic dog that likes to chew stuff. He can't have pork or beef or chicken and is on a strict fish and potato diet. While I've found ostrich rawhide and dried sweet potatoes work pretty well, I'd like to find something a little more substantial for him so he stays the heck away from my shoes.

Does anyone know where I might find venison rawhide bones that last more than a few minutes?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Once again,I have an allergic dog that likes to chew stuff.  He can't have pork or beef or chicken and is on a strict fish and potato diet.  While I've found ostrich rawhide and dried sweet potatoes work pretty well, I'd like to find something a little more substantial for him so he stays the heck away from my shoes.

Does anyone know where I might find venison rawhide bones that last more than a few minutes?

How about Water Buffalo Hide?

Bison or horse would be good if you can find it too.

SB (Checking for a local homemade source. Lots of hunters around here)

I'd like to find something a little more substantial for him so he stays the heck away from my shoes.

Glad to hear you have a new pooch. I hope you can find something for him to chew on - otherwise you'll have to PhotoShop teethmarks into your avatar. :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Oh, what great ideas! And her I sit, related to a born'n'bred "good ole boy" who hunts everything. I think deer season is on down south, and I'm emailing him now.

Thanks, all!. I'll let you know what Charlie (pronounced, "Chollie") says about the rawhide. Maybe my next dog will be low-maintenance ...

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office