• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Cookbooks

9 hours ago, catdaddy said:

Saucier's Apprentice by Sokolov. Not so much a cookbook but a life of food.

One of my favorite food writers ever* and one of my most prized books on cooking.

*On reflection, my favorite, if I could name but one author.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Although I live in France and trained here as a professional chef, one of my favourite cook books for the basic, brasserie-type French recipes is Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles cookbook. The recipes work, they're easy to follow and it's an entertaining read in its own right.

Other than that, THE reference is my catering school text book, 'La Cuisine de Référence - Techniques et préparations de base, fiches techniques de fabrication' by Michel Maincent-Morel. It's the set text recipe book for all professional cookery schools in France, but it's not an easy read. It's all in French, to start with, and there's no index either so it can be hard to find a specific recipe.

But this is cooking as done by Escoffier and the generations that followed.

• Like 2

Chris Ward

http://eatsleepcookschool.wordpress.com

I wrote a book about learning to cook in the South of France: http://mybook.to/escs

This might not have been on KT's mind when he started the topic, but the notion of "must-have cookbooks" gets at several interesting (to me, anyway) questions.

Does "must-have" mean the latest ideas/ingredients/techniques, or does it mean the books we rely on the most or would miss the most if we didn't have them, i.e., desert island books (assuming one's island came complete with a fully equipped kitchen and pantries)? Or does it mean something else?

How have your choices changed over time to reflect changes in interests, skills, motivation, maturity, etc?

As with the previous question, have your choices changed because of what's become available on the 'net (or via public libraries, for that matter)?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

"Must-haves" are the ones you value the most.  It won't be the same for everyone.

For instance, I cook Italian and farm-to-table quite a bit.  Probably the former more than the latter.  There's no way I would consider "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" to be a "must-have", even though Marcella's recipes are top-notch.  For one thing, Italian cooking is regional and Marcella's books reflect her background in Emilia-Romagna (IOW, northern Italy) and upbringing.  It would be a mistake to think that the lessons imparted in her book apply towards the entirety of Italian cuisine.

If I were younger, I might have done so.  I'll concede that point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

"Must-haves" are the ones you value the most.  It won't be the same for everyone.

For instance, I cook Italian and farm-to-table quite a bit.  Probably the former more than the latter.  There's no way I would consider "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking" to be a "must-have", even though Marcella's recipes are top-notch.  For one thing, Italian cooking is regional and Marcella's books reflect her background in Emilia-Romagna (IOW, northern Italy) and upbringing.  It would be a mistake to think that the lessons imparted in her book apply towards the entirety of Italian cuisine.

If I were younger, I might have done so.  I'll concede that point.

You are right, the must haves are very personal.  So MH is not Your cuppa tea, er Grappa!  I am aware of the regional differences concerning Italian cooking.  I just find her recipes and ingredients to my liking. I am not mistaken.    I have other Italian cookbooks from other regions, but find I keep coming back to MH.

what Alex said.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

You are right, the must haves are very personal.  So MH is not Your cuppa tea, er Grappa!  I am aware of the regional differences concerning Italian cooking.  I just find her recipes and ingredients to my liking. I am not mistaken.    I have other Italian cookbooks from other regions, but find I keep coming back to MH.

what Alex said.

She's ok, but she's not "essential" IMHO as far as Italian cookbook authors go.  The "worship" of MH has gotten to ludicrous levels with the New York Times weighing in with articles like "the only tomato sauce you'll ever need"  -- uh, I beg to differ.

I rate Lidia higher on that scale, but I don't see her stuff as an essential either even though I have most of her books and cook from them often.

I'd say The Silver Spoon certainly qualifies to me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I admit, I only read a couple recipes of MH. I met her once, she was visiting the French Culinary when I was a student and we talked about the food of my region. Well, I was perplex. I think not having a language barrier makes life much simpler.

Going back on track, I think the books I've cooked the most have been the one from Jennifer McLagan.  She knows her stuff, never found her condescending, her recipes are truly tested and I like them a lot. I don't enjoy complicated foods but  very straightforward good food. And I love offals, fats and bones and bitter flavors!

And I also cooked tons from Repailles from Stéphane Reynaud. I love his humor. But I was living on the French Riviera. It's very difficult (as people noticed in the reviews on Amazon) to make his recipes out of France. I challenge anybody in North America to cook pied et paquets :biggrin:

To be honest, also many of the recipe of Jennifer McLagan are a bit difficult here in the States.

And when I have time to kill, I enjoy some of Ottolenghi things, not all of it but a lot of interesting things.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What cookbooks do you love to cook out of at home? Anything by Suzanne Goin.

Is there a specific recipe that is your favorite? That is a hard one. I like 90% of her recipes, 50% are fantastic and challenge me as a cook.

Or is there a book you just can't live without? Don't laugh, but here's the cookbooks I've used for over a decade: Ms. Field's (remember her? great recipes), Martin Yan (I love his stuff, I refer to Quick and Easy at least once a month), Julia Child (I have them all, I use Julia's Kitchen the most), and my Costco cookbooks! I love my Costco cookbooks and if I'm honest, I use them the most for day-to-day cooking.

Must-have? As in I-really-like-it but I don't use it all the time? I like the Zuni cookbook, although honestly, I never cook out of it. Gjelina is another fun one for California cuisine. I love Batali's books too. Food Lab is another good, fascinating read, as is the Modernist Cuisine books (I have them all, and honestly, have not read a single one). But I'm hoping eGullet's threads will motivate me.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

Food Lab is another good, fascinating read, as is the Modernist Cuisine books (I have them all, and honestly, have not read a single one). But I'm hoping eGullet's threads will motivate me.

You own a copy of Modernist Cuisine and you have not read it?

Have you at least looked at the pretty pictures in the Photography of Modernist Cuisine?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You own a copy of Modernist Cuisine and you have not read it?

Have you at least looked at the pretty pictures in the Photography of Modernist Cuisine?

Unfortunately, no. :o

Mr. Smokey works at the book factory and I've inherited a lot of books from him, most he has not read, but for one reason or another has accumulated.

He wanted a decent cookbook collection that was a source of information, rather than finding recipes he could cook from. He's more a collector than a foodie.

That's why I have so many reference cookbooks (if you look on my EYB account). I've 2 editions of Culinary Institute of America, I have every Julia Child book, I've got every America's Test Kitchen, all the Modernist Cuisines, Joy of Cooking, Joy of Baking, Fannie Farmer, etc... I read maybe 10% of that.

But I'm getting excited to read the Modernist Cuisines after browsing the threads. :D

• Like 1

I am sure these books have already been listed. I just wanted to list some of my favorite cook books as a cook. I really fell in love with each of these books. I have a longer list....but I trimmed it down for this post. You can read the full list if you want. However, the descriptions on these few are the exact same there are just a few more books!. I hope I gave proper credit for the pictures? All of them are from Amazon, also check out the links to the books! It helps support his awesome forum!...I didn't connect the first one because I still can't believe the price.......

Grand Livre de Cuisine by Alain Ducasse

This is by far my favorite recipe book. When I worked at the Herbfarm and did a lot of the pastry, I would pour through this book. The pictures are fantastic, and the recipes are great. Now that is a rare find. I do often find it is a trade off, good pictures, bad recipes or the other way around. This one is fabulous. Jut look at the picture on the front cover, this dessert is so simple, but is so delicious. Each page has pictures and recipes like that. Most of which are doable at home. Ducasse really had a way with desserts, and food in general. This book is worth every penny if I was rich...

Nothing in this book really should challenge a home cook. The difference between what a chef and a home cook would make in the end is purely technique. The chefs would just have a better executed product...or we  have a problem. So don't think you can't do these recipes. I believe in you.

I am not sure if the price is accurate on Amazon.com!!! It was putting it close to 900-1000 USD. I find that so hard to believe. However, I never had to pay for it..

[PIC FROM AMAZON.COM]

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=2848440163&ServiceVersion=20070822&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&Format=_SL250_&tag=buy05cb-20

Flavor Bible by Little Brown

The first book I would recommend any aspiring chef, cook even hobbyist is the flavor bible. It is not a cook book, it is more of a reference book. It helps develop any bodies understanding of how flavors work with each other. Don't worry about getting the fanciest cook books with the freshest techniques. Instead, especially as a cook starting out, your goal should be to understand food at the lowest levels. Dishes will come with time and experience. It is more important to understand what flavors pair well with thyme, paprika, lemons and so on. This book is great because it is written in such a way that any one can understand. You don't need any fancy kitchen equipment, or vacuum sealing machine. Just a few ingredients and time to read. It highlights the best flavor combinations in bold, and bold and stars for those that are classic, holy grail level combos. It even has example dishes from restaurants. Including a blurb from my old kitchen, Cafe Juanita![PIC FROM AMAZON.COM]

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=0316118400&ServiceVersion=20070822&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&Format=_SL250_&tag=buy05cb-20

On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee

Before we start getting into the cook books, I have one more reference book I would recommend everybody who wants to be good at cooking get or read is On Food and Cooking. If you want to understand the science behind cheese, sweetness, and food in general. This book is amazing. When I first started at the Herbfarm, the current Sous Chef the time handed me this book and I couldn't get enough of it. Don't expect any pretty pictures, only basic diagrams of microbes and fauna here! Like the previous recommendation, I am a firm believer in understanding something at its lowest point first and then building from there. That way you can really make it your own. I say this a lot. However, if you want to break the rules like a master, learn the rules like a pro. Once you can wax on and wax off. No one can beat you! Not that this is a competition or anything.

[PIC FROM AMAZON.COM]

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=0684800012&ServiceVersion=20070822&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&Format=_SL250_&tag=buy05cb-20

Manresa-The Edible Edition

For the most part, I tend to dislike modern Chef recipe books. They often have impossible techniques for home cooks to try and it is not always a skill thing. Sometimes it is a equipment problem, a miscommunication in the recipe, maybe even just getting an ingredient. Cooking out of a Chef cook book is like any "Expectations vs. reality meme ever(Don't even get me started on Alinea's Cook book). Manresa was probably one of the better cook books that a home cook has some chance of scaling. If anything...the pictures are beautiful. The fossilized vegetables is a pretty cool dish. I have even followed some forums that have home cooks talking about making this specific dish. It does require pickling lime (if you don't want to pay for Manresa's Calx which is super expensive). This particular dish has you slow roast root veg that have been soaked in a pickling lime solution. In the end, it creates a petrified look and shell on the outside and a super soft inside. More than a little cool for a cook book. Again, if anything the pictures are great.

[PIC FROM AMAZON.COM]

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=1607743973&ServiceVersion=20070822&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&Format=_SL250_&tag=buy05cb-20

Alice Waters :The Art of Simple Foods 

I am a little bit of a history nerd. Not necessarily do I know everything about history. However, I love knowing how concepts, movements, etc, got from point A to point B. One such movement is the slow food movement. This book was written by one of the Chefs that has played a large role in this movement. She came along much after the inception. Nevertheless, you can't here about Berkley or American slow food without Alice Waters coming into the conversation. She just has such a simple and beautiful way about food. There is no fuss or muss. She just makes good food. Alice Waters in not necessarily the first person to do it, and every country has had it's own start. In fact, I got to meet a lady very closely intertwined with the Beirut Slow Food Movement. It is however, a great bit of history to read into!

[PIC FROM AMAZON.COM]

q?_encoding=UTF8&MarketPlace=US&ASIN=0307336794&ServiceVersion=20070822&ID=AsinImage&WS=1&Format=_SL250_&tag=buy05cb-20

Edited by nonkeyman (log)
  • Like 5

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

• 1 month later...