• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Baking and Pastry Challenge (#2)

Ling

A co-worker had a suggestion, which follows many of yours, and honors my desire to have a local/regional flare - mincemeat tamales.  We're we're having some language difficulties in communicating with my local carniceria...but I think I'll have some fresh suet be the end of tomorrow.

Interesting...tamales are more specific to New Mexico but empandas might be another possibility.

The other meat flavored profile that I thought about is red mole. Perhaps one could tweak the balance of flavorings to make a sweeter but still pleasing take on the mole flavorings in a dessert. One could play up the dried fruit, toasted nut and chocolate flavors.

I just ran across this older post from albiston about a trip he took to Sicily... click The dish sounds like beef mole filled emanadas!

Our last day in Sicily was dedicated mainly to shopping, food and non-food. The hard part about flying by plane when I travel to Italy is having to limit the amount of stuff I can bring back. Somehow there's always just another bottle of wine or cheese that I'd miss at home  :rolleyes: .

What really rocked us though was the 'mpanatigghi, little pockets filled with a mixture of nuts, spices chocolate and beef descending directly from empanadas. These were introduced here by the Spanish religious orders who established monasteries in the city during the times of the Borbón kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

The 'mpanatigghi:

gallery_9330_174_18687.jpg

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 month later...
Anthony, your fame stretches from the Mexican border to the Arizona border to the small towns of Gila, Cliff, Glenwood, and Deming...dude, that makes you about as important as our local firetower watchers!

Sweet. Lets keep the fame at "known only in emergency".

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea