• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valrhona manjari

Desiderio

I bought some Valrhona manjari, I never had this chocolate before , and while the taste is quite particular and nice , I found it quite zippy ( can I say zippy :rolleyes: ) anyway , the back taste of red fruit , makes this chocolate hard to place expecially in chocolate making.I think I need to try some recipe for ganaches and fillings and try using it to cover some chocolates , but the question is , with that kinda of strong taste what kinda of combination would be the best or the more appropriate?

Thank you :raz:

Vanessa

I might try some fruit centres with it first and see if it compliments them, blackcurrent, raspberry. It doesn't sound like it will compliment the caramel or vanilla flavours very well.

I also might just mix up a variety of centres (I usually have a variety of left over bits in pastry bags in the fridge), mold up some cuvettes and taste each centre with the new chocolate. If it seems to compliment certain centers nicely, then I'd probably try a ganache with that same flavour.

It is a little more acidic than most bittersweet chocolates, due to the red fruit flavours. I would pair it with an almond...something with richness and a bit of bitterness to compliment the flavours of the chocolate. And some Amaretto. (Also, when I taste raspberry in Manjari, so my first thought is raspberry-almond-chocolate.)

Edited by Ling (log)

Kerry and Lorna , great ideas thank you so much.I actually do have bunch of left over ganaches to try , Almond rasbperry sounds faboulous (sp?), I will definatley try the amaretto ( since I got a bottle :rolleyes: ),Maybe a nice butter amaretto ganache.

Thank you Ladies :biggrin:

Vanessa

I have to say even if I risk to sound blasphem ( sp ) that i dont like this chocolate particularly and I did regret buying it also because its expensive,but at least I tryed.I think a less strong chocolate without those harsh tones would be much better, so next buying will be Apamate El Rey , that I really think its worth the money .

I did a ganache with Manjari , like suggested , was a butter ganache with amaretto and sour cream,very tangy, and unespectedley my husband liked it a lot , and tasting the chocolate again today I have to say it grow on me , so back to the experiment table because I have 6.6 lb of it have to use it hehe.

I was thinking making mini chocolate bars very thin with rosted almonds and orange peel something like that , I will report back.

Vanessa

As mentioned, Manjari and citrus fruits and berries works very well. Similarly cardamom, with its orange tones, lemon verbena, and, although I've yet to tried it, lemon thyme.

As mentioned, Manjari and citrus fruits and berries works very well. Similarly cardamom, with its orange tones, lemon verbena, and, although I've yet to tried it, lemon thyme.

Thank you Escry , for the suggestions , I love cardamom and lemony flavors in chocolate I will definately give it a try.

Vanessa

I have to say even if I risk to sound blasphem ( sp ) that i dont like this chocolate particularly and I did regret buying it also because its expensive,but at least I tryed.I think a less strong chocolate without those harsh tones would be much better, so next buying will be Apamate El Rey , that I really think its worth the money .

I did a ganache with Manjari , like suggested , was a butter ganache with amaretto and sour cream,very tangy, and unespectedley my husband liked it a lot , and tasting the chocolate again today I have to say it grow on me , so back to the experiment table because I have 6.6 lb of it have to use it hehe.

You bought 6+ pounds of a pricey chocolate you'd never tried before? If after further experimentation you decide this chocolate isn't right for you, and you want to unload it, please PM me.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

You bought 6+ pounds of a pricey chocolate you'd never tried before? If after further experimentation you decide this chocolate isn't right for you, and you want to unload it, please PM me.

:laugh: I will definately :raz:

Vanessa

IMO, Manjari should be used where chocolate is the feature, like a mousse or a Marquise,etc.

Caribe (66%) or Guanjara (70%) I think would work out more for your use.

BUT, because of the Manjari's (to me) red wine-ish back notes, maybe enrobing some red wine based Pate de Fruit or a Cabernet or Shiraz based caramel center if for candies could hardly go wrong, I think?

Just my two cents...

Good Luck!!!

2317/5000

I like Manjari as a mousse or relatively simple ganache with brandied cherries... very successful as a chocolate mousse filling for a black forest cake. It also bakes quite well (ie flourless or molten cakes).

It's a bit too strong for me for molding, I would suggest a straight liqueur filling to stand up to it.

Count me in if you decide to re-sell.

I did some orange truffles ( the real truffle , hand rolled then enrobed and tossed in cocoa powder) with manjari both in the ganache and the enrobing , and its definately a winner , meaning the combination is very very nice just perfect for orange .so as said before I am going to use it for fruit fillings and maybe I was thinking to make and orange cardamom chocolate cake with ganache and all , will see if I have some time ( or if I dont Ill do it at night as usual :laugh: )

Thank you for your help on the matter guys.

Vanessa