• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe Artigianno "chain" sold

eatrustic

I've heard this from two separate sources so I guess it's out in the open that Vince Piccolo has sold his Cafe Artigianno coffee houses to someone in the Earls company.

He still owns and operates his roasting facility -49th Parallel- which is completely separate.

Good for Vince as he obviously made some $$$ on this but it remains to be seen how the Artigiannos get spun off (and obviously expanded outside B.C.). Is it inevitable that they will be dumbed down a la Starbucks?

I wonder if this includes the Artigiannos in Korea as well?

The epitome of dumbed-down Starbucks has to be the SB situation in NYC. There are 384 SBs in NYC and proof of what happens when you expand to that degree is how terrible the drinks and the service are in NYC. By sheer chamce we stumbled on a newly opened coffee bar in the village (Blind Tiger) and had a good cappucino which had to tide us over until we got back. Otherwise, it was nigh impossible to get what we in Vancouver consider good espresso.

I can only hope we don't lose the quality we have come to expect from CA. But if it does happen - maybe that opens the door of opportunity for someone else?

Cheers,

Karole

I would imagine that Vince will remain a part of the CA scene if he is still doing all of the roasting for them. 49th Parallel will still be the roaster to the entire chain, including all of the new stores that roll out. Expect to see big things from these guys real soon.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

My apologies for the misspelling of the name it is "Caffe Artigiano".

And on another coffee related topic I see that all of the retail locations of Seattle's Best have closed in Vancouver including the sweet location on Granville and 11th.

And on another coffee related topic I see that all of the retail locations of Seattle's Best have closed in Vancouver including the sweet location on Granville and 11th.

Whaaa?

Jeez, I REALLY need to get out more often. So what's the scoop with them?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Whaaa?

Scoop here.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Whaaa?

Scoop here.

Huh, it's strange that Starbucks HQ would sell those off rather than convert them to (even more) Starbucks locations.

[Huh, it's strange that Starbucks HQ would sell those off rather than convert them to (even more) Starbucks locations.

I've noticed a couple of Starbucks actually closing down - for example the one on Denman being converted to a Yaletown Sofa (which seems to be the go-to tenant for empty storefronts). I did not see another Starbucks being open nearby - and the note on the door at the time said - "We're closing - thanks for letting us have your money" - or something like that.

Has Vancouver (finally!) hit a *$ saturation point?

That being said - I think *$ does go into locations that other coffee places don't go and creates a neighbourhood hanging out point that in turn brings in other businesses. The location on 14th and Main (which now has a JJ Bean accross the street) and out on the fringes of the Downtown Eastside along Cordova (around Roger's Sugar).

There's an article about the Artigiano sale in the Vancouver Sun today. It was bought by Willie Mounzer, a former Earl's executive. As noted the Piccolo family retains ownership of the coffee roasting operation.

[i've noticed a couple of Starbucks actually closing down - for example the one on Denman being converted to a Yaletown Sofa (which seems to be the go-to tenant for empty storefronts).  I did not see another Starbucks being open nearby - and the note on the door at the time said - "We're closing - thanks for letting us have your money" - or something like that.

I think that particular Starbucks closed a few months after they opened the one at Davie and Denman, in the old Miriam's spot.

Cheers,

Anne