• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ile de Re

Franci

I am looking for reccomedation for restaurants in Ile de Re.

Is there any pastry or bread, that is characteristic from there, that is worth trying?

What should I bring back home besides salt?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Franci (log)

We were there for only a day trip(stayed in La Rochelle) Until the Millau bridge the one to Ré was, and I think, still my favorite. We ate at one of the harborside restos and I'm not a beer drinker but did buy the local Ile de Ré Blanche and brough back my flipflop bottle. I did buy a canvas shoulder tote to carry bottles back in. it reads ile de Ré.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

I am back. We were very lucky to have a fantastic weather. I think we'll visit again, it's a good place to go for the week end and satisfy the urge of fresh seafood.

img1614jm9.jpg

img1615ex5.jpg

img1623ar0.jpg

We were staying in La Flotte, so, the first night, we tought of going to the Richelieu. I didn't make a reservation and they were fully booked...but honestly, I didn't feel too bad, we were in the mood for a more casual place and we went back to the quay and had dinner at "Poissonnerie Degustation du Port". We had a plateau de fruit de mer with a bottle of local wine. I can compare it to the Skipper in St Martin where we had lunch two day after. Well, so much better the Degustation du Port and the service was very friendly.

We managed to go to Bistrot de Bernard in Ars. It was very good. I had a pave de maigre with mushrooms and my husband the grill fish of the day and a plate of assorted desserts. Couldn't try le Chat Botte (it's closed on Sunday and Monday morning).

We had plenty of oysters, stopping at the farms along the way, plus we stocked up on fleur de sel at the cooperative, we stopped at the Confitures du Clocher and I finally got to taste the tourteau fromage.

I found many recipes on line, but if anybody has a direct experience on making this cake and would like to spare tips would be appreciated.

img1636fg7.jpg

img1643rn6.jpg

I can't believe how timely this thread is. Just today I was invited to share an apartment some French friends have rented for a week for the Toussaint holidays. It's in les Portes on the Île de Ré, a place I`ve never been before.

I`ll get to suprise them with my insider knowledge of island restaurants.

• 9 months later...