• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golf-themed wedding cake

Darcie B

A friend's sister asked me to make her wedding cake. They were getting married in the golf clubhouse and played a lot of golf, so they asked for a golf-themed wedding cake. I discussed it with her and came up with the following. I wanted to make the "water hazard" cakes irregularly shaped like real ones, but I ended up running out of time (to reiterate, I'm not a pro, and couldn't take time off to make the cake, and as usual underestimated how long it would take). It turned out OK, but I would appreciate suggestions on how I could have improved it. I think the large golf ball on top is too big, but I didn't have any other size round pans except for the small ones, and the bride didn't want the top ball to be that small (I think it would have been the perfect size.)

(please excuse the poor photos. my camera sucks and I'm not much better)

golfcake.jpg

golfcake7.jpg

Heh, I love the grass! Are the golf balls just regular cake, or was marzipan or something also used? The big golf ball on top seems like a difficult shape for just regular cake.

The golf balls are just regular cake with a butter/confectioner's sugar icing. The larger one was a bit unwieldy, but held together fine.

I absolutely love it. I don't know what you would want to improve. You did an awesome job. It has character and charm and is well balanced with the extra hazards and all the little ball cakes sitting around. It's adorable.

Way cool!

And making ball cakes will give PROS a migraine. You did GREAT.

You're right.....carving spheres freehand is a son-of-a-b*tch! I do have some dome shaped pans, but if you need certain sizes, you're doomed to freehand carving! Unless someone knows an easy way or a cool shortcut......hint hint. :wink:

You did a great job, good for you! Adorable. I am sure they loved it!

There is a grass and a fur tip available. Tip number 233 is usually used for grass, tip number 234 can be used for grass or fur, it makes larger diameter strands.

Well Wilton does have the mini-ball pan, so that is an option for the smaller balls.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.c...A68AF3A1910E9AD

There is such a variety of ball scoops of dippers in the U.S., the larger ones work well. Make cake balls by combining about 1/4 of a cup of icing to the equivalent of about a 6x3 inch cake and using one of the sizes, shape into a ball and freeze. Use disposable gloves when shaping. I freeze and dip in melted chocolate or candymelts.

Alternately, use my old pal Cookieman's recipe for cakeballs.

2 cups crumbled cake scraps

2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa powder (if cake scraps are not chocolate based)

1/4 cup chopped almonds (or any other nut you like, or mini-chocolate chips, or M&Ms, you get the idea!)

2 generous shots of amaretto (or any other liquer you may like, a good non-alcohol substitution is any flavored coffee creamer)

Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix on medium speed until the ingedients form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more of the liquid used to make it moist enough to form into balls.

I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to make the balls uniform in size. Roll the scooped dough in your hands to form a nice smooth ball. Allow cake balls to set on a parchment lined cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then dip them in chocolate(following) or roll them in confectioners' sugar or cocoa.

Melt 1 lb. of candy melts and add approximately a tablespoons of crisco to make it a bit more smooth. Also, put the container (in my case, a pyrex measuring cup) of melted candy melts in a very hot (I use amost boiling) water bath to keep the chocolate fluid. dip balls into the chocolate using a spoon and a dipping fork (in my case, a plastic fork with the two middle tines cut out) Don't worry if the dipped balls have a "foot" at the base after drying. You can break some off after they have hardened and once they are in the little cake liners, no one will notice. Also, you can decorate the tops with just about anything, sprinkles, candy confetti, chopped nuts, etc. before they dry. Or after they've dried, pipe designs with royal icing or melted candy melts of different colors! End of Recipe

There are chocolate molds that are golf-themed with balls and tees and a small golf bag.

You can use piping gel coloured blue for the water. I have made golf bags from fondant mixed with a bit of Gum-tex powder to make it harden up. You can use wooden skewers broken off to an appropriate length covered with fondant and shape a few golf clubs to fit. You can make evergreen trees using various sized ice cream cones covered with icing using 1 number 352 leaf tip.

You did a great job, good for you!  Adorable.  I am sure they loved it!

There is a grass and a fur tip available.  Tip number 233 is usually used for grass, tip number 234 can be used for grass or fur, it makes larger diameter strands.

Well Wilton does have the mini-ball pan, so that is an option for the smaller balls.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.c...A68AF3A1910E9AD

You can make evergreen trees using various sized ice cream cones covered with icing using 1 number 352 leaf tip.

Thanks for the ideas! I will look for those #233 and #234 tips. I used the mini-ball pan for the small balls (just made 1/2 balls so it would be one serving per). I used the larger ball pan (2 halves) for the large ball, but wish they made one in between, because I am NOT at the level of sculpting any cakes!

Thanks all for your replies. I feel better about the cake now (the bride didn't seem that impressed when I brought it, even though it's nearly exactly what we agreed upon). The bride's sister said the cake was very well received by the guests, though, and the chocolate went especially quickly. (I used the CI sour cream chocolate bundt cake recipe.)