• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toysan Foods

hzrt8w

I usually just slice the chicken or beef, marinate it with salt, MSG, oil, and cornstarch, mix in some thin shreds of fresh ginger and lay that on top of the rice. There should be just a skimming of water left on the surface of the rice. That will mingle with the chicken to form a flavourful juice that will permeate the grains of rice.

I just bought a cast iron pot the perfect size for 2 people. I plan on making lap mai fan on its first use.

Has anyone used one of these pots? Should I season it like any other cast iron pan?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I am making another dish from my childhood tonight, salt chicken in rice pot.

Every Chinese person has eaten "salted chicken", that is the cooked chicken is hacked into pieces and salted, as a method of preservation but it changes the taste significantly. My mother's other version is to salt raw chicken for a couple of days before use. The salting process changes the flesh into a very, very silky texture and the taste is divine.

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces (after rinsing), mix with some ginger and scallions, put on top of cooking rice at the boiling stage.

YUMMY!!

I usually just slice the chicken or beef, marinate it with salt, MSG, oil, and cornstarch, mix in some thin shreds of fresh ginger and lay that on top of the rice. There should be just a skimming of water left on the surface of the rice. That will mingle with the chicken to form a flavourful juice that will permeate the grains of rice.

I just bought a cast iron pot the perfect size for 2 people. I plan on making lap mai fan on its first use.

Has anyone used one of these pots? Should I season it like any other cast iron pan?

Those descriptions sound absolutely delicious, definitely drool worthy!!!

I want to try making "salted chicken"....hmmm, maybe tonight...thanks Ben and Sue-On :wub:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Ah Leung, I'm not familiar with "rice cooked in clay pots" ... can you provide a recipe?

I assume the clay pot (sand pot?) is used to cook the rice slowly in a braising liquid -- would this be water or some form of master sauce? The issue, I would guess, is how to prevent slow cooked rice in liquid from turning into a form of congee ...

Here is one:

Minced Beef Over Rice in Clay Pot (窩蛋免冶牛肉煲仔飯)

There is no braising liquid or master sauce involved. Simply, it is cooking white rice with some marinated meat (beef, pork, chicken, etc.) on top using a clay pot (sand pot). Cooking rice in a clay pot was a traditional way to cook rice before National popularized their electric cookers.

The key is in the meat marination and timing. You cannot cook too much meat in one setting (or too little). Usually you start cooking the rice first. When the rice grains start absorbing the water (before the grains turn dry), you lay the marinated meat on top and let it cook for 5 to 10 more minutes. When the rice is done, so is the ingredient on the top.

Examples of rice clay pot dishes:

- Salted fish with minced pork

- Chicken with black mushrooms and Lily buds

- Ground beef patty mixed with chopped water chestnuts

- Laap Cheung (Chinese sausage) with chicken or pork slices

The "Salt Air Cured Pressed Duck", available in the Autumn and Winter months in Hong Kong, almost always cooked in Clay Pots over Long Grained Rice, often together with Laap Cheung or Translucent Duck Fat Sausage were definitely from Toysan.

Stalls and Restaurants advertised by signs the Toysan village that the Duck originated, with prices based upon reputation.

This combination Pot was very popular at Restaurants that featured this dish, and the resultant rice, enhanced by the oils and flavors was delicious. When we worked late we brought our Clay Pot to the Restaurant, requesting it be ready when we picked it up on our way home. Somehow it always tasted better that way.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

What are the characters for 'hum ha'?

This is what they were talking about:

Chinese name: 蝦醬

Thanks for that. I immediately realized what it was --- altho I've never used it. For salted shrimp flavor, I usually use the dried shrimp, rehydrated, and finely chopped.

Jo-mel,

That ain't nothing close to ham ha flavour and aroma. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for that.  I immediately realized what it was --- altho I've never used it. For salted shrimp flavor, I usually use the dried shrimp, rehydrated, and finely chopped.

Jo-mel,

That ain't nothing close to ham ha flavour and aroma. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

(Pounding on the counter) Where's the salt? Where's the salt? :laugh::laugh:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Yeah, ham ha is fermented so it's nothing like dried shrimp. It's like comparing fu yue with regular tofu--just no comparison at all. Ham ha is an acquired taste and has a very pungent odor. I personally never did acquire a taste for it growing up.

Edited by sheetz (log)

And hum ha has such a lovely purpley color.

Side note: Mr. Duck was talking about taking a class that would run on Monday evenings for two months. As I was convincing him that it would be a good idea, he said, "you just want to eat stinky shrimp [hum ha]!"

"YES, I DO!!" I reply, while practically jumping in anticipation. "But...the class will help you with your project."

So...he did sign up for the class, and I'm already thinking of what I'll have first...hum ha or steamed egg custard? Maybe I’ll make a special trip to Chinatown and get some hum yee and fat back.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Does anyone know how to make "yao fan"? My friend told me (who is 1/2 Toysanese and 1/2 Cantonese) how her family makes it which is to wash the rice, stick it in a cooker and cover it with various preserved meats and then cook 'til done. When finished add some "cooked oil" (oil that's been heated up on the stove) and scallions, toss and serve. Is this correct? My parents never made something like this. Probably due to fear of a coronary but I'd like to try it since I can go to Chinatown in the city and get some fantastic meats.

I think I may ask for a clay pot as my graduation gift. Although I really, really, really want a KitchenAide. :laugh:

Joyce, you can use anything in combo like lop yuk, lop cheung, lop app (with skin), fresh pork, diced kohlrabi or jicama, diced green beans, green onions, add a little oyster sauce and soy sauce and lay over boiling stage rice. Use a little less water than normal for the rice, though. No need to add oil finish as the preserved meats are oily enough.

Ratio: 1 part liu to 1 part raw dry rice.

Does anyone know how to make "yao fan"?  My friend told me (who is 1/2 Toysanese and 1/2 Cantonese) how her family makes it which is to wash the rice, stick it in a cooker and cover it with various preserved meats and then cook 'til done.  When finished add some "cooked oil" (oil that's been heated up on the stove) and scallions, toss and serve.  Is this correct?  My parents never made something like this.  Probably due to fear of a coronary but I'd like to try it since I can go to Chinatown in the city and get some fantastic meats.

I think I may ask for a clay pot as my graduation gift.  Although I really, really, really want a KitchenAide.  :laugh:

I made a dish with rice and cured meats in my cast iron pot yesterday. I think that's something like yao fan. With all the lap yuk, lap cheung, lap gnap, which all have lots of fatty parts, you don't need to add "heated oil!"

I let most of the water boil down, just a skimming on top of the rice, then added all the above sliced, on top of the rice. The heat was then turned down to lowest setting to finish the cooking. All the fatty juices cooked down into the rice. It was a wonderful fall dish. The aroma in the kitchen was worthwhile too.

After I came back from teaching my evening class, I "burned" the rice that was stuck to the bottom of the pot, add hot water and let it soften a bit. I scooped it all up into a bowl, added a square of fu yu...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wub:

Go and buy yourself a sandpot or two, Gastro. They're cheap. Let your family buy you the expensive KitchenAide!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

While you're at it, dice up some sweet potato and add it to the rice at the beginning.

Mash of the the sweet potato into the burnt rice before you pour in hot water. Double yum!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

EW! Sweet potato and "fan"? Are you serious? Sorry to be a potato party pooper, but I dunno about that. I'm not a huge "fan shee" fan. I should try it though as homage to my maternal grandparents who farmed their own sweet potatoes.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

What about savory tong yuan? That's Toysanese comfort food.

EW! Sweet potato and "fan"? Are you serious? Sorry to be a potato party pooper, but I dunno about that. I'm not a huge "fan shee" fan. I should try it though as homage to my maternal grandparents who farmed their own sweet potatoes.

What about savory tong yuan? That's Toysanese comfort food.

/quote]

The fan shee is mashed into the burnt rice on the bottom of the pot. It's smoky, sweet, like dessert which is definitely comfort food!

Savory tong yuen with ha mi, lap cheung, sliced pork, lobak, cilantro, scallions, sesame oil, soy with lots of pepper and a dash of mah-la oil! I also want some chili radish on the side! :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

EW!  Sweet potato and "fan"?  Are you serious?  Sorry to be a potato party pooper, but I dunno about that.  I'm not a huge "fan shee" fan.  I should try it though as homage to my maternal grandparents who farmed their own sweet potatoes.

What about savory tong yuan?  That's Toysanese comfort food.

Sweet potato mashed into noong is an absolute favourite peasant food. Gastro Girl try it, you'll like it.

Tong yuan is more a festival food, not generally treated as an everyday comfort food.

I like my noong with fu yee. Or soy sauce. I may try that sweet potato business one of these days when I'm curious enough. I guess that's a sign of my American upbringing - I want my sweet potatoes either in pie form in with brown sugar and maple syrup!

My mom makes savory tong each month. Aw, man. I missed it this month. Bah.

What about ham sui gok?

For me it's pork with haum har, ngao yuk piang, steamed egg custard with haum har, green cabbage with dried shrimps, yao fan and eggplant with foo yee. My biggest guilty pleasure is white rice with the lap cheung cooked in the same pot. Omg, the delicious greasy pleasure of lap cheung and rice together *shudder*.

For me it's pork with haum har, ngao yuk piang, steamed egg custard with haum har, green cabbage with dried shrimps, yao fan and eggplant with foo yee. My biggest guilty pleasure is white rice with the lap cheung cooked in the same pot. Omg, the delicious greasy pleasure of lap cheung and rice together *shudder*.

When you say "green cabbage with ha mie, do you mean siu choi? isn't it amazing how 2 simple ingredients can taste so good?

I've never had egg custard with haum har... :unsure:

Add lap yuk and lap gnap to the lap cheung and triple the greasy pleasure! :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

When you say "green cabbage with ha mie, do you mean siu choi? isn't it amazing how 2 simple ingredients can taste so good?I've never had egg custard with haum har...

My mom makes it with either the regular green cabbage or the siu choi. It's usually whatever's on hand. I used to beg her to make extra so I can have the leftovers next day for breakfast. The egg custard with haum har was the dish she served when money was running a little low and the groceries even lower. I always loved it and even asked for it when she did have food in the house :biggrin: .

Edited by TotallyNutz (log)

Just remembered this one now:

My mom would take fun see and chow it with bacon, cabbage and oyster and/or soy sauce. Add some ha mei to it and it's complete. Ooooh, I miss that dish. Miss her more. At least we'll get to see each other this weekend, yay!

• 4 weeks later...

Been craving this dish for some time now, and finally found some meen see jurn that has whole beans in it, and pickled plums. It was as good as I anticipated. :smile:

Had some pea shoots stir-fried with ginger and garlic. I topped it with a bit of the BBQ duck skin that hubby didn't eat this morning. It's my favourite part of the duck!

I marinated the ribs with salt, MSG, oil, cornstarch and meen see jurn. Squished about 6 plums and mixed them in as well.

gallery_13838_1972_19448.jpg

The ribs were steamed for an hour, so they were nice and tender.

gallery_13838_1972_14225.jpg

gallery_13838_1972_15273.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, have you forgotten your food triangles? Definitely generous with the ribs there!!!  :biggrin:

Hubby's carnivorous!

My plate had more green.

We also had bak hap and pork soup.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com