• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soba Koh

Todd36

There doesn't seem to be any thread with respect to Soba Koh, which is surprising since it is probably the second best soba place in NY, and is cheaper than its main competitor. I've eaten at Soba Koh roughly ten times, and I like it. I've eaten there with several different Japanese friends, and they all think it is pretty good, and very good by NY standards. Soba Koh was favorably reviewed in last week's $25 and under NYT piece, and I didn't notice anyone here mentioning that fact.

Todd, who's their main competitor?

My wife and I ate there shortly after they first opened and we thought the soba was not particular remarkable, so I was interested to read that Meehan agreed, too. We'll have to make a return trip. I like that Takahashi sources his own buckwheat from local organic sources.

My wife and I ate there shortly after they first opened and we thought the soba was not particular remarkable, so I was interested to read that Meehan agreed, too. We'll have to make a return trip. I like that Takahashi sources his own buckwheat from local organic sources.

my girlfriend and i both love sobakoh. i think it's definitely better than sobaya - and very close, if not as good as honmura an. i don't know enough about soba noodles to back that up with comparisons of specific noodle-making or broth-making techniques. i can only say that we've had about half the menu there, and have always enjoyed the experience immensely. from the food, to the service. it's really great. at this point i've had about half their menu, and no duds. great uni-ikura soba. great hot soba w/ mushrooms (forgot what this is called). also a very interesting one with eggplant and ground duck.

Honmura An is their main competitor.

Sobaya is below them (they also burnt a friend of mine with hot water and failed to appolgize).

I think Soba Nippon is gone, they were pretty good.

I figured that the answer was going to be either Honmura An or Sobaya.

So if I understand this correctly, both Honmura An and SobaKoh make their soba noodles on-site, while Sobaya... I think imports their noodles, yes?

Can you give us some tips on characteristics of excellent soba? The flavor of the noodle, the texture, what to look for in the broth, etc?

Honmura An is their main competitor.

Sobaya is below them (they also burnt a friend of mine with hot water and failed to appolgize).

I figured that the answer was going to be either Honmura An or Sobaya.

So if I understand this correctly, both Honmura An and SobaKoh make their soba noodles on-site, while Sobaya... I think imports their noodles, yes?

Can you give us some tips on characteristics of excellent soba? The flavor of the noodle, the texture, what to look for in the broth, etc?

I'm pretty sure Sobaya makes their own soba - I've seen them rolling and cutting it there.

I look forward to retrying this place - as larrylee said, we also ate there right after it opened and didn't think it was better than it's competitors - but that's a while ago now.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Sobaya is not really a direct competitor, its cheaper and not as serious. They do make their own noodles.

Difficult for me to describe what they are supposed to be like. They taste like something, buckweat, the flavor is not as neutral as wheat noodles. But the flavor shouldn't be too strong. They have a firmness to them, and a texture to them, similar to bronze die Italian pasta. THe broth/dipping sauce shouln't be that salty and shouldn't taste like it came from a jar.