• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's in the markets in October

What’s in the markets in October

The following are reported by Regal and the Almanach du Gastronomie* to appear in the markets in October, or October-November in the case of Regal:

Arriving: scallops, dorade, pumpkin, trumpet of death and hedgehog (pied de mouton) mushrooms, Vacherin cheese, American apples, pears and quince.

Leaving: germon tuna, mackerel, lobster, sardines, eggplants, goat cheese, reine des reinette apples, nuts and grapes.

In full season: oysters, bouquet prawns, sole, calamari, herring, anchovies, guinea and other game fowl, rabbit, deer, spinach, turnips, carrots, cepes, girolles, fall cheese (bries, camemberts, munster, Epoisses, Maroilles, Abondance, Beaufort, Comte, Cantal, Salers, Laguiole), beurre-hardy and comice pears, nuts, grapes, chestnuts, figs and peche de vigne.

Also: black cod, mackerel, pike-perch, venison, wild boar, bilberries, beetroot, white beet, broccoli, carrots, celeriac, fennel, frisee, haricots verts, mache, turnips, sorrel, leeks, chickpeas, pumpkin, and these cheeses (banon, fourme d’Ambert, lavort, morbier, munster, picodon, reblochon, Roquefort, le sable de Wissant, tomme de Savoie.)

*Reference: Almanach du Gastronomie by Armelle de Scitivaux (Bottin Goumand, 1998, 133 FF.)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks! I've been waiting for this to appear - leaving day after tomorrow :) May I quote this in my blog?

But of course as long as you attribute it to Regal and the Almanach du Gastronomie, but that's gratuitous, isn't it. You might always mention eGullet; we're not too shy.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris