• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Brussels Best Choclatiers

Having sampled Michel Chaudun and JP Hervin in Paris and Bernachon in Lyon I was looking forward to Brussels to try P. Marcolini, Mary, Planet Chocolate etc.

However looking at the fodors.com website I see that both Wittamer and Mary are supplied by Marcolini :shock: . Can anyone verify this?

Also does anyone know if they use their own-made chocolate as couverture or a commercial brand eg Valrhona?

Are there any stand-out chocolate boutiques I should be aiming to visit besides the ones I have mentioned. I am also going to Antwerp.

thank you

It is a bit commercial, but Geller makes a "pure chocolate" that is incredible. Of the major brands (Godiva, Neuhaus, Leonidais), I think Geller is the best (although Neuhaus truffles are great).

There is a relative newcomer across from Wittamer in the Grand Sablon, but I forget the name. Last time I passed by there were a group of French students outside groaning in delight as they ate the chocolate -- always a good sign.

• 3 weeks later...

The only other chocolate in the Grand Sablon besides Wittamer is Marcolini, to my knowledge. How new is the chocolate place you are referring to?

My fave is Wittamer as well. Hard to get here, have to "settle" for Neuhaus when on a binge.

As far as Godiva, the stuff in the US is made by Campbells Soup. They try to hide that fact. No wonder it tastes like a Hershey bar. :wub: The factory is actually somewhere near Hershey, Pa. (!!!) But in Belguim supposedly it is a little better, the original formula.

Wittamer is certainly one of the very best and has been around for a very long time, I've never heard of Marcolini. The last time time that I was in Brussels, probably 4-5 years ago, the best of all was Manon a very small shop just on the otherside of the ring road. Their most famous creation was the Sputnik. I assume that they still exist, but I don't know for sure. In Brussels the great chocalate creations are called praline, no relationship to the New Orleans stuff, and truffels are rather pedestrian by comparison. The problem with the praline is that they can't be shipped as they have a shelf life of only about 3 days and then they literally fall apart.

No food to take home with you, Cabrales. The only other noteworthy items are the Frites, sold in a cone by street vendors and fried in beef tallow, these potatoes actually originated in Belgium, not in France. And of course, the mussels.

N.B. On the chocolate issue, I have to add that Maison du Chocolat in Paris is at least as good in my mind as the Belgian stuff.

• 1 month later...
I am also going to Antwerp.

There is a cute little "eclectic" chocolatier off the main shopping strip in Antwerp. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it, but it is really easy to find because of its unique location. It is nestled among diamond dealers across from the "jewelry shopping mall". If you follow the signs to the diamond district you can't miss it. It is the only patisserie in the specific area described.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't remember the name, but if you find this place you'll know it. Great pastries also.

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

• 3 years later...

I have been reading the wonderful posts of places to eat in Brussels and Bruges on eGullet.

As Belgian chocolate is some of the best in the world, can anyone recommend any hand made (non-commercial) chocolate shops in and around Brussels?

Also, are there any wonderful speciality food shops that I should not miss? Any patisseries?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by pups224 (log)

Both of those are impeccable recommendations.

Marcolini is more modern and inventive - the pralines are slightly smaller so maybe better for keeping in shape. They have several other outlets around the city and I think somebody has posted some photos elsewhere on eGullet.

Wittamer also has a patisserie shop and café a few steps way from the chocolate shop.

Mary on Rue Royale is traditional and supplies chocolates to the Belgian royal court.

For other speciality shops the choice is wide as Brussels has a strong food culture. It depends where you are staying and the better ones are in residential areas where people just know where to shop in their own locality. Maison Felix in rue Washington has foie gras, cheese, meat, wine, prepared dishes and an up-market selection of wines as well as a small wine bar (also a restaurant but I have not eaten there). Nearby in avenue Lepoutre, Le Déjeuner sur l'Herbe is a small épicerie - again foie gras, wine cheese but also Dandoy biscuits.

Marcolini also has a pretty fine patisserie and, er, quicherie just up the street from its chic flagship shop with the steepest stairs in Europe. (Did the new patisserie used to be the old Marcolini shop?)

Spanks

• 1 month later...

Skoolpsyk, I know that they are expensive and could probably direct you towards mass-market products like the ubiquitous but not bad Leonidas.

This however misses the point which is the sheer outstanding quality of the real Belgian chocolatiers.

Much better (not just for your pocket) really just to buy a small quantity of something good and savour it - even the most expensive shops will happily sell you two or three pralines, putting them with care into an exquisite sachet after you have picked the ones you want. If the shop is not too busy they will even discuss the flavours and the order in which you should eat your €3 or €4 purchase.

• 2 months later...

What was the tasting results of the trip?

I have been reading the wonderful posts of places to eat in Brussels and Bruges on eGullet.

As Belgian chocolate is some of the best in the world, can anyone recommend any hand made (non-commercial) chocolate shops in and around Brussels?

Also, are there any wonderful speciality food shops that I should not miss? Any patisseries?

Thanks in advance.

What was the tasting results of the trip?

Thanks in advance.

Going this week. Will post results.