• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Surf Clams Stir-Fried w/ Yellow Chives

hzrt8w

Pictorial Recipe

Surf Clams Stir-Fried with Yellow Chives (韭黃抄浪蛤)

I bought a few boxes of surf clams from the 99 Ranch Market. They looked really good. A good way to cook them is to stir-fry with yellow chives. It is a traditional Cantonese seafood cooking style. Yellow chives have their characteristics, strong taste. No extra seasoning is needed. Simply use a little bit of salt and garlic.

gallery_19795_3680_3988.jpg

Serving Suggestion: 2-3

Preparations:

gallery_19795_3680_107.jpg

Main ingredients (upper left, clockwise):

- 2 boxes of surf clams, about 3/4 lb to 1 lb

- 1/4 lb of yellow chives

- garlic, use 4-5 cloves

gallery_19795_3680_24078.jpg

This is a box of the featured surf clams.

gallery_19795_3680_2682.jpg

Take each clam and slice into two halves right in the middle. Rinse under water and remove the innards of the clam.

gallery_19795_3680_21782.jpg

Peel and mince the garlic. Chop the yellow chives into 1-inch stripes.

Cooking Instructions:

gallery_19795_3680_11371.jpg

Use a wok/pan. Set stove at high. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Add surf clam slices. Add about 1/2 tsp of salt.

gallery_19795_3680_15359.jpg

Moisture will come out during cooking and the clam meat shrinks a little. Cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove and drain off the liquid.

gallery_19795_3680_16345.jpg

Start with a clean wok/pan. Set stove at high. Add 3 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil starts fuming.

gallery_19795_3680_2455.jpg

Add minced garlic. Add 1/4 tsp of salt. Stir well. Cook for 10-20 seconds. Add 2 tsp of ShaoHsing cooking wine. Quickly add the chopped yellow chive.

gallery_19795_3680_31087.jpg

Add 3 tblsp of chicken broth (not too much, this dish is not meant to be saucy). Stir well.

gallery_19795_3680_7498.jpg

When the broth is about to boil, return the surf clams. Stir well and cook for another minute or two. This kind of stir-fries is best to be cooked with a strong burner and a wok.

To thicken the sauce, you may add corn starch slurry (suggest: 1/2 tsp of corn starch and 2 tsp of water).

Transfer to a serving plate.

gallery_19795_3680_3988.jpg

Picture of the finished dish.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

What interesting clams! I've never seen them before. The red color suprised me. Do they taste like regular clams? I'm going to have to google them to see just what they are.

I like dishes with yellow chives and always find their use make subtle chinese cooking its best.

BTW - perfect dish for those clams! And---- another great dish for your wonderful and growing list of delights!

Already a treat for the eyes ... I can only imagine the treat for nose and taste buds!! Will have to see if surf clams are available on the East Coast ...

Regards,

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

They are available in the northeast. I know that you can buy frozen surf clams in NYC and Boston.

hzrt8w- Were your surf clams fresh or frozen? Is there a difference in taste?

I have had problems using frozen baby clams and periwinkles before. It was extremely fish in taste and smell even with a lot of ginger and wine.

hzrt8w- Were your surf clams fresh or frozen?  Is there a difference in taste? 

I have had problems using frozen baby clams and periwinkles before.  It was extremely fish in taste and smell even with a lot of ginger and wine.

They are refrigerated but not previously frozen. I can tell in the taste. I think 99 Ranch Market did a good job in their seafood selections.

This style is also good for geoduck clams and giant conches. Just cut them in thin slices. Yeah, use some ginger slices and ShaoShing wine to parcook to help reducing the fishyness.

Why did you wash out the innards, that's  the best part?

Really? I just treat them like other fish and shell fish. Fish, we discard the innards. Crab, we discard the innards. Shrimp, we devein.

Perhaps clams and oysters are different. I am just not fond of the greenish/brownish "stuff".

I think the innards are what make the surf clam taste "sweet"

On the other hand I have no clue what they taste like when they are cooked. If your method works for you then you should stick with it. I bet the innards taste good with a hot bowl of rice. I am making myself very hungry now

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA