• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Greens

LaNiña

Yesterday at the Union Square greenmarket I bought red amaranth. Mostly because it's so gorgeous to look at. I brough it to Ali's and he used it in a salad I had, and he said he would cook the rest today but he didn't know how yet. I had never seen this "green" before - I loved the texture and the flavor.

So, everybody, what interesting greens do you love, and how do you use them?

(My love of mache is well known).

I adore amaranth - it's magenta color works so well with 'real' greens. I think it's too tender to cook, best served raw. You must have been at Morse Pitts' stand - he has the best greens at the market. If he has arugula flowers, get 'em.

I got some of his amaranth yesterday as well. Added some to his mesclun, and I think I'm going to cook the rest tonight -- just wilt it in a little corn oil with a little shredded ginger, dried chile pepper, garlic, salt and pepper.

Has anyone ever had miner's lettuce -- I picked some along a stream in California once. It was so good. Also, the trout guy at Union Square has good wild watercress.

I adore amaranth - it's magenta color works so well with 'real' greens. I think it's too tender to cook, best served raw. You must have been at Morse Pitts' stand - he has the best greens at the market. If he has arugula flowers, get 'em.

Is that the microgreens stand on the University Place side? He has the most wonderful produce - I love the arugula flowers, the pea shoots and the baby tatsoi.

That's the guy. Nice people, too.

The microgreens are so beautiful I invariably buy more than I need. All I've ever done with them (other than nibble on the way home) is toss them with a little oil and champagne vinegar, so I'm interested in more creative ideas.

Liza, very gently and briefly steam. Of course, of course.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

In Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini: The Essential Reference, by Elizabeth Schneider, there is, it goes without saying, a section on amaranth. Recipes include amaranth-hominy soup with chili and cheddar; amaranth with wheat, scallions, garlic, and spices; and garlicky saute of amaranth and tomatoes, Cuban style. Also lots of information about vegetables from, er, well, um, from amaranth to zucchini. It's a $60 book ($89.95 in Canada) but an invaluable reference.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Has anyone ever had miner's lettuce -- I picked some along a stream in California once.  It was so good.  Also, the trout guy at Union Square has good wild watercress.

Yes,

I was lucky to taste Miners lettuce while taking some courses at Greystone in Napa.

Me and some other chefs went on a tour of a number of organic farms in Northern Cali,Headesburg (sp?)

We went to one place high up in the pines and redwood forest were this guy (big,burley and holding a cat) showed us around his place.

It was beyond organic (if there is such a thing) where evrything seemed to seed itself from the natural envirement in which they excisted.

True watercress from the banks of his streams and miners lettuce that seeded itself all over the basin of his lower grounds.

It was a very unique lettuce,kind of like a thin pea shoot/tendril with a round flat leaf intermingled with the stem.

Earthy and sweet. I don't think Miners lettuce can be farmed? or not yet anyway.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.