• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chefs trip to Wine Country

jeffperez62

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip with a dozen or so chefs to wine country. Aside from Copia and CIA what other interesting educational opportunities are available? I was thinking about contacting a few wineries and looking into food/wine pairing things. Any ideas??

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Paso Robles hosts the Harvest Wine Tour, October 20/21/22. Winery tours, barrel tasting, winemaker dinners, dancing and educational seminars also. Access information at www.pasowine.com

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Thanks for mentioning that, "Raoul"! Paso Robles does have a slew of events coming up that weekend in October, and the pasowine website has an easily navigable list of them here. Just find the types of activities you are interested in, and then click on the winery name for specific event information.

I searched the Napa wine site for events at local wineries, but couldn't find any information! Huh. Guess you'll have to come to Paso Robles for some real hospitality. :wink:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Thanks for mentioning that, "Raoul"!  Paso Robles does have a slew of events coming up that weekend in October, and the pasowine website has an easily navigable list of them here.  Just find the types of activities you are interested in, and then click on the winery name for specific event information.

I searched the Napa wine site for events at local wineries, but couldn't find any information!  Huh.  Guess you'll have to come to Paso Robles for some real hospitality.   :wink:

because of course we don't have any of that hospitality thing you mention here in napa :raz:

i think most tours you can set up are educational. joseph phelps, far niente and franciscan have pretty informative personal tastings that you can get by appt. to name a few.

i suggest if there is a producer you like, to give them a call and let them know the kind of experiance you're looking for and see if that is something they offer. most of the smaller wineries are perfect for one on one info & tasting sessions.

Edited by dvs (log)

I've recommended this before, because I enjoyed it.

Merryvale Vineyards Wine Component Tasting Seminar helps you "map" your palate and learn about the essential components of wine, what they each bring to the party, what each tastes like, etc. It's given in the glorious Cask Room which is about as beautiful a setting as I've ever seen, and was quite interesting. Information is available at the first link.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol