• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How about THIS as a wedding cake

andiesenji

Great A'Tuin cake.

Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors. Apparently there are a great many more who love the books by this best-selling author.

There are many parties with Discworld themes but I think this cake is a first.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

That's frikkin' amazing! Fit for the Patrician himself (if the Librarian doesn't get there first). I have to show this to my Pratchett-ophile kids tomorrow.

On second thought, they'll expect me to duplicate it...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Thanks for posting the site Andie! For a Terry Pratchett fan, it looks like a perfect birthday cake for me. Of course, my kids would fight over which animals to eat first. My hubby would just look at it in disbelief and ask what the h3ll is that? LOL

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

So is "Discworld" the new "thing" now? I've never heard of it or Terry Pratchett.

I have to keep up with this stuff.

I've just come off the Harry Potter trend.

There's also been these trends in cakes:

Pokemon

Teletubbies

Blues Clues

Chronicles of Narnia

Power Rangers

Strawberry Shortcake

Winnie the Pooh

The Wiggles

Toy Story

A Bugs Life

Monsters Inc.

Little Mermaid

Aladdin

Nemo

and the worst cake trend of all........BARNEY. I can't tell you how much purple food color I've

gone through.

"I love you, you love me, let's drive cake decorators Cr-a-a-zy....." :wacko::wacko:

Terry Prachett is a British author, and his Discworld novels are writen for adults - and full of bad puns. Frankly, I've never gotten into them, but several of my friends are big fans. But I don't think you'll be making kiddie cakes for THESE books anytime soon! :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Not all of Terry Pratchett's books are written for adults. Several are considered for young adults, but they are all extremely funny. I have been a fan for many years.

I really haven't noticed any bad puns, per se., the stories certainly are parodies and there is a great deal of satire all in good fun - and the stories are funny.

There is a certain amount of interest in the foods of Discworld. Some of the foods have a close relationship to the stories: For instance, Banged Grains was a central theme in Moving Pictures.

Dwarf Bread was integral to the story in The Fifth Elephant. And Wow-Wow Sauce has been a constant in many of the Unseen University stories.

The newest heroine, Tiffany Aching, is a talented cheesemaker and is serious about it. (The Wee Free Men, Hat Full Of Sky and just published: Wintersmith.

A Discworld cookbook has been published - titled Nanny Ogg's Cookbook and I think it is hilarious.

It contains real recipes, sage advice, distilled wisdom and funny bits.

The recipes are in metric and are aimed at the British so people in the US won'd recognize some of the ingredient names.

It can be found on eBay and at other internet vendors

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook

There has even been some discussion of "Burnt Bown Crunchy Bits" which have certainly had their share of several lengthy discussions here at eG! It just goes to show that there are connoisseurs of certain foods in fantasy worlds such as Discworld as well as in roundworld.

There is this site that is dedicated to sugarcraft work - talented people.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

...and the worst cake trend of all........BARNEY. I can't tell you how much purple food color I've

gone through.

"I love you, you love me, let's drive cake decorators Cr-a-a-zy....." :wacko:  :wacko:

Touched a nerve there, ChefP. To be a good G'ma if I gotta allow Barney in my house in any way, tv, whatever, I'll never make it! Barney cakes suck. And his freakin' hips are bigger than his bulbous head.

And those songs! I don't think I spelled boulbous right, b-i-g f-a-t is what I meant.

The whole copyright thing has some advantages after all. :biggrin: God forbid I infringe on a Barney copyright. :laugh:

But the turtle cake with the genius elephant pillars is the bombshafrigginbomb.

I love it!

AhHa! a Larry Niven fan!

This cake it great, I think!

Whose work is this?

Jane Fisk made the cake for her daughter's wedding.

details here!

And here is another one, somewhat smaller and greener. and several other cakes, including an orc's head.

Amazing!  Can anyone here make me a Ringworld cake?

Why not :wink: Anything is possible :raz:

But what is Ringworld ? :wub:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld

One of the true classics of science fiction. Larry Niven is one of the leading writers in the 'hard' science fiction genre.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Any good cheese makers out there willing to have a go at making "Horace" the blue cheese from the "Wintersmith"  :biggrin:

Er, do you mean one that moves about on its own?

As the story went on, I began to think that this is beginning to sound a bit like The Luggage.....

I mean, dropping out of trees..... sneaking up on Nac Mac Feegles???? The thing obviously has little fear of most things. I supposed one could always threaten it with a toasting fork....

Edited by andiesenji (log)

• 1 month later...