• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster Festivals in Vancouver?

Global

Yes, Oyster Bob is still turning the knife at Joe Forte's.

I had the pleasure of seeing him at 2 competitions this summer.

The Canadian National's and The World's Invitational in Charlottetown, P.E.I.

There is only one oyster festival in Vancouver and that is the BC Oyster and Wine Festival held in January.

Kind of a shame but what can u do?

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

There's a oyster shucking competition at Joe Fortes on November 10th.

I'm not too sure about that Lorna :(

Maybe you are referring to Spurp & Swirl, which is a great event held every year at Joe's. Believe it or not, the event has even outgrown our restaurant and this year is being held at the Terminal City Club.

Info here

Derek

There is only one oyster festival in Vancouver and that is the BC Oyster and Wine Festival held in January.

Pretty decent size as I recall and I suspect much better than having a few small ones?

officially left egullet....

Pretty decent size as I recall and I suspect much better than having a few small ones?

Actually, as far as oyster festivals go, it is one of the smallest.

I just find it a shame as the product here is onpar with the best in the world and I think people should celebrate that.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

• 4 weeks later...
There's a oyster shucking competition at Joe Fortes on November 10th.

I'm not too sure about that Lorna :(

Maybe you are referring to Spurp & Swirl, which is a great event held every year at Joe's. Believe it or not, the event has even outgrown our restaurant and this year is being held at the Terminal City Club.

Info here

Hi all,

My first post! I look forward to joining in some of the great discussion that takes place on these forums.

Anyways, as I am a HUGE fan of everything oyster-related, I thought I'd start by asking if anyone has any comments/feedback on the upcoming Slurp & Swirl event to be held at the Terminal City Club on November 15th. I have read the information on the Joe Fortes Website but I would love to hear from anyone that has attended previous events - or are thinking about going this year. Thanks very much!

I've never attended the Slurp and Swirl, but will be there competing this year. it seems like it will be a pretty high-profile event, and I'm looking forward to making the cross-country trek from the East coast (PEI) to the West.

Cheers,

John Bil

3-time Canadian Shucking Champion