• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Sea Fishery

I noticed this place on a drive-by last night, located in a space that used to be a sports bar on Stuyvesant Ave. in the block SW of Lake, just up from the Lyndhurst NJ Transit station.

I thought it was brand-new but this article tells me that it's been 6 months since I've been over in that part of Lyndhurst.

I can't get Google to find any previous mention of this place on eG. Since it's likely to be several weeks before I can get over there at a time when they might be open, I'm wondering if anyone else can report on this place.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I noticed this place on a drive-by last night, located in a space that used to be a sports bar on Stuyvesant Ave. in the block SW of Lake, just up from the Lyndhurst NJ Transit station.

I thought it was brand-new but this article tells me that it's been 6 months since I've been over in that part of Lyndhurst.

I can't get Google to find any previous mention of this place on eG.  Since it's likely to be several weeks before I can get over there at a time when they might be open, I'm wondering if anyone else can report on this place.

It's a very good fish market for the area. Somewhat limited selection, but everything he had looked very fresh. He also has some less common fish types, like branzino. Give it a shot.

Does he do whole fish? If so, are they cleaned/gutted/etc.?

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Thanks for those good details. My life is chaotic right now, but next time I'm ready to cook some fish, I'm definitely making the trip over there.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

Sorry I haven't mentioned this place...I feel like I should have, since I live in town and so few culinary delights can be found here! I just don't cook fish at home very often, so I haven't been in yet, but I do drive by it almost every day. The thing is, I never see ANYONE going in or out of the place!

I hope they can stay in business even if I'm not shopping there--this part of the world needs better shopping options--that's for sure!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Well, I've never done a whole fish before and I figure there's always a good time to start... I might try to grab something from them this weekend.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I hope they can stay in business even if I'm not shopping there--this part of the world needs better shopping options--that's for sure!

Yeah, that worries me. Do they advertise?

We had a superb fish market here in Rutherford for a couple of years, right next door to the ShopRite. They didn't survive. DSF clearly has high visibility to local commuters, but does anyone else know they're there? I'm a prime example, they'd have gotten some business from me but I didn't know that they existed.

Ah well I will mention this to them when I stop in, it's all I can do.

• 3 weeks later...

Did any other Lyndhurst residents receive this flyer yesterday?

On October 23rd

Piatti di mar

Restaurant

Celebrate with us!

Join us for a beautiful eventing on our pre-opening day

to try our distinctive traditional cuisine from different

regions

The taste that you had forgotten

but is now here awaiting you

from 7pm-8:30pm

137 Stuyvesant Ave Lyndhurst

Next door to Deep Sea Fishery

valet parking available at opening date

Please do report if anyone goes!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Well, I've never done a whole fish before and I figure there's always a good time to start... I might try to grab something from them this weekend.

I did a whole fish for Xmas eve dinner, for the first time, in my life. Turned out great!! The recipe came from one of Lidia Bastianich's books . ( owner of Felidia's Rest in NY)

It not all that difficult...just seems that way.

• 1 year later...

Stopped by on Saturday looking for some Salmon and basically they had almost nothing for Retail sale. He (the owner) said that he generally gets to the market on Thursdays, and by Friday evening they are pretty much sold out. Very dissapointing.

Restaurant looked very casual / low key. Menu looked nice, but I probably wouldn't make a special trip.

Was hoping this would be a good quick stop off of Rte 3 to pick up fish on my way back home from other places, but given no selection on a Saturday, won't be returning. Oh well.

Had better luck at the Riverside Farmers Market:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=106087

I though the Fidhery had closed for good. I passed by like 3 or 4 days in a row last week and they were closed every day. I tried calling a couple of times and the people who answered the phone did not speak English. So I had assumed they shut down. Jon, are you saying they were open this past Saturday? I thought I looked ...

I talked to he owner when they first opened, and they had originally planned for the restaurant next door to be a fish specialty restaurant. He even promised me good fried clams. So I was disappointed when Piatti di mar opened. I looked at the menu, it seemed like mid-point Italian place, which is not really what this area needs considering the other billion Italian places around. I never see anyone in there (I pass by it almost every evening), and quite frankly I don't know how that are still open. That location has been the death of many other places.

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I though the Fidhery had closed for good. I passed by like 3 or 4 days in a row last week and they were closed every day. I tried calling a couple of times and the people who answered the phone did not speak English. So I had assumed they shut down. Jon, are you saying they were open this past Saturday? I thought I looked ...

Batard -- they were open on Saturday -- barely. I went into the retail side at noon -- was the only one there. There was a meager display of fish and they were working on the restaurant side on putting in a wood burning stove (I believe for heat / ambiance, not for cooking). I believe they were working on some improvements (maybe why it has been closed) and revamping the menu. Honestly, I wasn't paying close attention, as once I saw the fish selection, I had no intentions of coming back...

It's a really weird location, and I had to drive around the block twice to figure out where to park.