• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MY TWO SONS

Rich Pawlak

I've had the great pleasure of sampling the outrageously good food at this place within the Englishtown Auction grounds, (90 Wilson Ave., Blue Building, Manalapan, NJ) for a few lucky Saturdays, and I haven't had more satisfying Southern food in a long time. The side dishes almost outshine the main courses here, but the fried seafood served here is bracingly fresh, greaseless and expertly seasoned. Yesterday, for example, we had a crab cake-whiting platter and a catfish platter, each accompanied by moist yellow rice and black beans, hush puppies and cole slaw. Sides of macaroni and cheese, grits and stewed cabbage are worth every penny of additional cost. The crab cake was full of sweet crab, assertively seasoned--it was SPICY--and huge. The 3 whiting filets were also large, curled as only fresh whiting does, and flaky. The rice was sensational, the black beans smoky. The hush puppies were airy and addictive. The catfish, easily the most frequently ordered item by observation, are two huge filets in a crunchy coating. Seafood heroin. Be forewarned.

What I most enjoy is the care and warmth with which Rita Simmons and her son, Rasheed, who own this friendly cafe, run this enterprise. They mingle through the tables of seated customers, joke with those waiting in line (and there is ALWAYS a line of eager customers), and drop off samples of side dishes and desserts at random to whomever they think needs a little extra. Today it was slivers of dense bread pudding and sweet potato pie. On our last visit it was a small ramekin of cheesy grits for our twins, Ben and Sophie ("this is for another meal," said Mrs Simmons," you just watch how they eat these grits up!"). The sweet potato pie was something otherworldly: not too sweet, impossibly light, a perfect pie.

This place is a must-go breakfast or lunch destination on any free Saturday you have. Don't wait.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

This sounds great. Can you tell us a little more about the auction grounds--eg, is it open every Saturday? Any admission fee for the grounds before you can get to the good eats?

Thanks from a Southern-food fan.

Englishtown auctions is typically known as the Englishtown Flea Market. There are no more auctions held there now. It is a vast collection of merchants and entrepreneurs all tryting to make a buck selling whatever they have. The 6 buildings on the grounds, in addition to the vast outdoor flea market, contain every manner of food vendor. Across from My Two Sons, for example, are a decent pizza vendor, a decent sandwich shop, and the famous Dave's Fries, some of the best french fries you'll ever find anywhere, served in small brown paper bags. Englishtownm Market is, in my opinion, a road-foodie's paradise. It is open on Saturdays, and some Sundays in warm weather.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Thanks for the tip - I will be sure to check out My Two Sons (and Dave's fries) and will review them shortly on my new website about food and restaurants in Monmouth County (www.mcfoodie.com).

Also, Rich, as the host of the Beer forum, what are your favorite bars and restaurants for getting a pint in Monmouth County (be it for the selection, the microbrews, the ambiance, or whatever your criteria might be)?

Thanks for the tip - I will be sure to check out My Two Sons (and Dave's fries) and will review them shortly on my new website about food and restaurants in Monmouth County (www.mcfoodie.com).

Also, Rich, as the host of the Beer forum, what are your favorite bars and restaurants for getting a pint in Monmouth County (be it for the selection, the microbrews, the ambiance, or whatever your criteria might be)?

It's off topic, but really I have found only one place in Monmouth: BAsil T's the brewpub in Red Bank. Good quality brews and very good food too.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Basil T's is fantastic - truly one of my favorite local restaurants and their microwbrewed beers are great. I hear Triumph Brewery is coming to Red Bank and another microbrewery will soon be opening in the old Steinbach's space in Asbury Park...

..bringing it back to the topic...

Rich, can you give us an idea of the cost of the foods you've sampled?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

..bringing it back to the topic...

Rich, can you give us an idea of the cost of the foods you've sampled?

Platters are in the $9 range, sandwiches between $4-5 and desserts were around $2.50, as I recall.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large