• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great balls of......Meat

JasonWV

Hello everyone its me again. I was just wondering if anyone had any Meatball and Fishball recipes they would mind passing on? Iron chef got me intrested in Fishballs ^^. I was watching one where this guy made some outta penshells I belive looked really good. Thanks for everyones help. Also use this to discuss your love or dislike of them and how u cook them and so on. ^^

Japanese meatballs are usually made with minced chicken, and they are called tsukune. Google "tsukune recipe" and you'll get some recipes.

One of the first ones I ran across is:

http://www.foodreference.com/html/tsukune-72306.html

Japanese fishballs are called tsumire, and are often made with sardines.

Unfortunately, I failed to find any recipe by goggling "tsumire recipe". By googling "つみれ 作り方", however, I can find a number of recipes like this one:

http://www.misbit.com/recipe/mid00502.html

Get a good translator to translate it.

I made chicken tsukune for supper tonight, just for you. :biggrin:

gallery_16375_5_23616.jpg

Ingredients are minced chicken, chopped and microwaved onion, grated ginger, whole egg, and salt. I mixed them well and added potato starch to adjust the hardness.

I then put it in soup full of vegetables and mushrooms, one spoonful at a time.

Result:

gallery_16375_5_20170.jpg

Well, it may not look yummy, but it is!

I have never made fishballs (tsumire) because I can always get decent ones at a supermarket. :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

I made my chicken meatballs last evening. Sorry, no photos because I didn't think about them until after dinner.

I didn't add any onion and think that would have been good in them. My daughter said, "I love those weird little balls.":biggrin:

Served with steamed rice, simmered kabocha, and green beans with sesame dressing.

I love meatballsin any form/flavor but since I normally cook them in a fry pan I find it hard to keep the really round shape so I tend to make them in a very small patty shape instead or if they are going into a soup, i use two spoons and then they look like the balls of meat Hiroyuki pictured above, sort of an oval shape.

I also tend to bulk my meatballs up with some kind of vegetable.

Some of the ones I have prepared in the past include

gallery_6134_1960_29157.jpg

these were probably pork and renkon (lotus root) it is hard to tell, topped with grated daikon and ponzu

gallery_6134_1960_28157.jpg

this was a simple nabe with purchased chicken meatballs, I probably ate this with a dollop of yuzu-koshou

I thought I had a lot more pictures out there, I have gotten more than halfway through my albums and have only found these 2. My son wants to use the computer so I will need to finish my search (and post) later.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I love meatballsin any form/flavor but since I normally cook them in a fry pan I find it hard to keep the really round shape so I tend to make them in a very small patty shape instead or if they are going into a soup, i use two spoons and then they look like the balls of meat Hiroyuki pictured above, sort of an oval shape.

I also tend to bulk my meatballs up with some kind of vegetable.

Some of the ones I have prepared in the past include

gallery_6134_1960_29157.jpg

these were probably pork and renkon (lotus root) it is hard to tell, topped with grated daikon and ponzu

gallery_6134_1960_28157.jpg

this was a simple nabe with purchased chicken meatballs, I probably ate this with a dollop of yuzu-koshou

I thought I had a lot more pictures out there, I have gotten more than halfway through my albums and have only found these 2. My son wants to use the computer so I will need to finish my search (and post) later.

How about more in the Thai style also. Try Shrimp balls and coat them with panko or bread crumbs, fry themtill they are crispy and golden and drop them in soup,