• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Truffle

mrose

I have a customer who wants a coconut truffle with dark chcoclate? Does anyone have a recipe? Any experiences using coconut milk? Is it a straight sug for cream?

Take a look at Vegan Truffles

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Does the coconut milk give a good coconut taste to the truffle, do you need to also use some cream? Using cream is not an issue for this person.

Edited by mrose (log)

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I did some coconut truffle a while back , I didnt use the coconut milk , because the cream wasnt an issue ( I dont know if your costumer wants just coconut truffles because the cream ,vegan stuff or what or just for the flavor),but this is what I did ,I made some coconut macaroons , when they were cold I pass them into the food processor and made a fine powder/ crumb and I added to a dark chocolate ganache , they were quite yummy , actually I should make them again.

Just want to say , that I made regular coconut truffle before the macaroon ones and the coconut flavor was more intense in the macaroon ones, I think tosting the coconut is a part of the flavor enhancement ( ahh spell for that one ?? :raz: ).

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Can you post a good recipe for macaroons?

Thank you

Mark

I hope you mean just plain old coconut macaroons. Here is the recipe that is my current favorite.

I make another coconut center that I really like with 3 parts milk chocolate, 1 part butter, toasted fine unsweetened coconut and a few drops of coconut flavouring for chocolate. I mold a dark chocolate cuvette, fill, top with milk chocolate and sprinkle with more toasted coconut.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I've been working on coconut truffles myself, using coconut milk. I find a straight up substitution for cream has worked quite well, but since I'm aiming for vegan, I haven't played around with cream or butter in addition. The coconut flavor is very subtle, so I added a little bit of coconut flavoring too.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

The one I made for the truffle were just plain egg whites sugar and coconut thats the way we use to make them very simple .

The flavor of the coconut as I said comes out tronger with the toasting.I didnt add any flavoring and the flavor was just right.

Vanessa

i have a recipe for a hand rolled truffle, it has the taste and texture of a mounds bar or coconut patty. If this will help, let me know and i'll post the recipe

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

i have a recipe for a hand rolled truffle, it has the taste and texture of a mounds bar or coconut patty. If this will help, let me know and i'll post the recipe

Could you please post that recipe.

BTW. I grewup in East Meadow when they were just starting to build all those split levels houses. At that time there was nothing taller than a 2 story building.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Could you please post that recipe.

BTW. I grewup in East Meadow when they were just starting to build all those split levels houses. At that time there was nothing taller than a 2 story building.

Do you have Roger Geert's Belgian Chocolates? It has a lovely coconut center, tastes like mounds bar, but a bit more liquidy.

PM your regular e-mail and I can send my mastercook version if you don't have the book. I might have fiddled the recipe a bit, I don't have the book with me to compare.

Coconut Filling

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

3 cups heavy cream

3 cups light corn syrup

3 1/2 pounds sugar

1 cup water

3 1/2 pounds macaroon coconut (desicated, unsweetened)

Bring cream, corn syrup, sugar and water to the boil. Stir in coconut and cook until tender. Spread onto a sheetpan and chill until cold.

I then take this and scoop with the smallest ice cream scoop I have, chill again. Then I roll in tempered dark chocolate then into toasted shredded coconut

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman