• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for rehearsal dinner in vancouver (bc)

procne

I have been given the opportunity to organize a rehearsal dinner for my brother's upcoming wedding in Vancouver. We are not from the area (we'll be coming up from Seattle). Although we've visited Vancouver several times, we aren't familiar with places that would accomodate this type of event.

The wedding is happening the week after Christmas, and the rehearsal dinner is scheduled for a weeknight that week. Apparently there are going to be somewhere around 30-40 (I'm guessing closer to 40) people attending. The rehearsal is at Holy Rosary and most of the bridal party will be staying downtown on Robson.

We're leaning towards a venue w/catering for flexibility, although if there is a place that has some reasonable food and a good (large) group atmosphere, that would be interesting. We would like to have quality food but will be going for a more casual atmosphere.

Does anyone have any suggestions in Vancouver for a group this large, either a venue+caterer or a restaurant that would accommodate?

Key priorities:

-will handle up to 40 people

-really good food

-good atmosphere

Good:

-food that is special/unique/exemplary of Vancouver

-casual dining is okay

-different cuisines would be great, but the bride's family is not too adventurous :(

-creative/different/interesting ideas welcomed

Avoid:

-The Spaghetti Factory (the suggestion from the bride's family)

-anything likely to cause GI distress for the bridal party :)

Currently, I have a few places/options suggested as possible choices:

Restaurants

Earl's

-not sure they will accommodate 40 people; too casual/chain-like?

-seems to have decent reputation for casual dining/food

Sun Sui Wah

-food might be too 'scary' for some of the bride's family

-can accommodate large groups

Venue + Catering

Metropolitan Hotel (using Metropolitan hotel facilities/catering -- Diva at the Met)

-buffet option; food will be decent

-pricier?

--

intus habes quem poscis [Ovid]

--

Procne

intus habes quem poscis [ovid]

My brother recently had his rehearsal dinner at Cru, and it was universally regarded as fantastic- in fact it sort of outshone the food at the wedding. The value was very good. You would be looking at a buy out at that number- but they will definitely create something nice for you. We had a choice in each course, so you could have options for both the adventurous and the timid.

It was cosy and intimate, and just right for us. They could accomodate 40, though you would take up the whole spaec.

Aurora would be another option- it would also be a buy out. They were looking into that as an option, but were a little concerned about the auditory factor with older guests. I have never thought the room particularly noisy myself.

Both these restaurants are very focussed on regional ingredients and are very well priced. Aurora has a BC only wine menu as well.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Cru catered our 10th wedding anniversary (at our home) which was a huge success so I can definitely recommend them. And I think the restaurant is a good option - it is small and intimate and doesn't really feel like a restaurant.

Ironically, I have been asked to host and cater a wedding rehearsal dinner the week after Christmas for about 25 - 30 people. The bride and her family are also coming from out of town. So, I too am thinking about the same topic - but from the perspective of what I should serve.

Cheers,

Karole

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I'm definitely checking out Cru ("universally regarded as fantastic- in fact it sort of outshone the food at the wedding" sounds like what I'm looking for).

Though I must confess I might be wary of your own cooking.

Don't worry -- my normal cooking is almost always under non-extreme circumstances. (You'll just find me quoting Greek myth, not emulating....) :)

--

Procne

intus habes quem poscis [ovid]

Another possibility would be Hamilton Street Grill's private dining room, which is not too far from the church.

I am always the first to add the little

"ahem"

but we will be closed for an Xmas break.

Rare will be open between Christmas and New Years, 40 people would mean you could have the entire room, with the lounge for cocktails and mingling. No truer PNW food to be found...

www.rarevancouver.com

edit: nwyles and I are not really gay, hairy lovers...we wax.

...and obviously do not vacation togeather.

Edited by Chef Fowke (log)

Chef/Owner/Teacher