• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

alaskan smoked salmon

nan

My mother was recently in Alaska and brought us back a package of some smoked salmon, sealed and supposedly not needing any refrigeration.

We opened it today - it has a very strong fishy smell. It reminded me very much of cat food (the smell, that is :biggrin: ). I'm definitely a fish eater, and have eaten salmon, both smoked and baked and have never noticed such a strong fishy smell before. It wasn't pinkish like I expected, but more of a brown color, but I expect that's normal based on the little I've read.

My husband ate a bite of it and declared it okay, nothing spectacular, but okay. I'm tempted to throw it out, following the "when in doubt" rule, but have put it in a container in the fridge, in hopes someone can tell me whether or not this is normal to have this smell.

thanks!

Hey Nan,

I hope your mother enjoyed her trip to the North... it has a warm place in my heart.

There are two general ways to smoke fish (or other things at that) - cold smoke and hot smoke. Hot smoke is where the temperature is usually above 100 or so F thus in most instances the food is definately smoked however not necessarily cooked - i.e., sometimes a kolbassa or farmer sausage. Fish or seafood doesn't need to be cooked to the same temperatures as meat products such as 165 F for poultry and thus the cold smoked salmon that you might be referring to is soft, pink in color and somewhat has a texture of raw fish.

Hot smoke on the other hand thoroughly cooks the product thus giving the fish a "tougher" texture or probably better described as a cooked texture. Something I speculate you can relate to.

If the vacuum package you had was clearly sealed and didn't have any leaks in it thus giving it air, it has, believe it or not, a shelf-life without refridgeration of around a year. The product will be fine.

Worst case scenario, trust your own judgement - if it doesn't seem right, recycle it so to speak.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Thanks!

I figured the color was normal, but I wasn't sure about the smell. My mother says perhaps it is because the salmon was wild vs. the farmed I'm used to? I don't know... my husband ate a bite last night and is still around, so I guess it's okay to eat. I just can't get past the strong fishy smell...

This sounds a little risky to me. According to the Food Safety and Inspection Service of the USDA, smoked salmon needs to be kept refrigerated below 38°F. at all times.

I have never seen smoked salmon unrefrigerated anywhere, I would contact some other expert sources before consuming this product. I also believe the smell should be mild, not strong.

This sounds a little risky to me.  According to the Food Safety and Inspection Service of the USDA,  smoked salmon needs to be kept refrigerated below 38°F. at all times. 

I have never seen smoked salmon unrefrigerated anywhere, I would contact some other expert sources before consuming this product.  I also believe the smell should be mild, not strong.

That guideline is for "fresh" and vacuum-packed product. Shelf-stable packaging (also known as "retort" packaging; example here) allows storage for up to a year at room temperature.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I buy that kind of vacuum-packed smoked salmon all the time. Got three packages of it right now. It does keep for a very long time and does not need to be refrigerated until after it's opened. I serve it on crackers with an assortment of mustards, slices of sweet onion, squeezes of lemon, and a few capers scattered about. It's terrific, I think, although yes, the aroma is much stronger than it is with the other kind of smoked salmon, 'lox.'

But if you're not wild about it, you can make wonderful spreads by mixing it into cream cheese, or salmon salad, using whatever are your favorite ingredients for tuna salad.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That guideline is for "fresh" and vacuum-packed product. Shelf-stable packaging (also known as "retort" packaging; example here) allows storage for up to a year at room temperature.

Interesting; however, I wonder if this product in this form bears any resemblance to the refrigerated one; the heat process cooks the salmon, therefore creating a different product. Cold-smoked salmon is silky and delicate, and it seems this product could not be that. Also, if this was a "retort" product, why did Nan report such a strong odor?

I have ordered smoked salmon from Alaska, and it arrived 2nd day air packed in dry ice. It was wonderful.

Interesting; however, I wonder if this product in this form bears any resemblance to the refrigerated one; the heat process cooks the salmon, therefore creating a different product. Cold-smoked salmon is silky and delicate, and it seems this product could not be that. Also, if this was a "retort" product, why did Nan report such a strong odor?

The kind of smoked salmon that Nan has bears no resemblance to the other kind of smoked salmon, with the exception that both are salmon, of course. The texture, aroma, and best methods of serving are completely different.

The refrigerated one (often called 'lox') is, as you say, smooth and silky and commonly associated with Scandinavia. I have a friend, accustomed to the other type commonly associated with Alaska, that won't eat lox as she says that it "tastes raw."

The smoked salmon that Nan was given has much more the texture that you might associate with canned fish, like tuna and salmon. It is cooked, and it flakes.

Although they are completely different, I love them each, and would be hard-pressed to choose one over the other as a favorite.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Smoked salmon...no refridgeration......

http://www.cruets.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=294

tracey

used to sell this kind of stuff for gift baskets

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association