• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ destination restaurants

McFoodie

No. 9 Restaurant in Lambertville.  Wish it were closer to me...  :sad:

I'll second this...No. 9 is our fav. restaurant in NJ. I've been to 3 of the others listed above, but have not really traveled to NNJ so I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot up there - going to David Drake in Oct and really looking forward to it. Luckily No. 9 is in our neck of the woods. :biggrin:

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

Thanks for posting the link to the No 9 discussion thread - I found it very informative and look forward to making the trip very soon. As we tend to be spontaneous about our road trips, would you say that reservations are reqired on a weekend? Also, I noticed that most of the posts regarding No 9 were several years old - is it still as wonderful?

Sounds great - I will add them to my list. I'm also considering adding Stage Left in New Brunswick to the "must try" list as I haven't yet been - thoughts?

Also, it seems that all of the destination restaurants listed in this thread are in the Central or Southern part of the state - are there any restaurants that warrant a road trip in North Jersey?

No, IMHO, unless you go just over the border to places like:

Xaviars in Piermont, NY

Citrus Grille in Airmont, NY

Relish in Sparkill, NY

These are all less than 2 miles over the line in NY State...

Xaviars is worth a "journey" I feel. It's that good.

No, IMHO, unless you go just over the border to places like:

Xaviars in Piermont, NY

Citrus Grille in Airmont, NY

Relish in Sparkill, NY

These are all less than 2 miles over the line in NY State... 

Xaviars is worth a "journey" I feel.  It's that good.

If 2 miles over the border counts there is always Philadelphia and maybe even NYC :smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Road trip:  White House Subs in Atlantic City

Just as good, but more foodierific:  Dune, Margate

Holly, sorry to disagree but I think White House Subs is incredibly overrated. I've gone to AC with people who talked it up but I've been 3 times and have never figured out what all the fuss is about. The place is the Rocky Horror Picture Show of restaurants if you ask me.

PS, I remember they had a picture of OJ-mouth open wide, stuffing in one of their subs, have they taken it down?

Now if we're talking about traveling for one specific dish then I'd say to add Copeland in Morristown for their amazing burger. More about that here.

My husband and I go in to NYC for dinner at least once a week, often twice (I'll be posting a list of my favorite restaurants on www.mcfoodie.com shortly). I'm looking for the more obscure, but just as satisfying foodie restaurants outside the City.

The problem with North Jersey, as I see it, is that if we're going to drive that far for a restaurant (we live in Long Branch), then we might as well just drive in to NYC. So a restaurant in North Jersey needs to be that much better to warrant a trip.

As for restaurants over the border, Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills, NY is very high on my road trip To Do list.

My husband and I go in to NYC for dinner at least once a week, often twice (I'll be posting a list of my favorite restaurants on www.mcfoodie.com shortly). I'm looking for the more obscure, but just as satisfying foodie restaurants outside the City.

The problem with North Jersey, as I see it, is that if we're going to drive that far for a restaurant (we live in Long Branch), then we might as well just drive in to NYC. So a restaurant in North Jersey needs to be that much better to warrant a trip.

As for restaurants over the border, Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills, NY is very high on my road trip To Do list.

While I can understand wanting to go into the city as opposed to North Jersey restaurants, I have generally found that the "hassle" of dealing with tunnel traffic, paying for parking and putting your automobile at risk for parking garage damage outweighs the convenience of the in state eateries. Now throw that out the door if you want a 3/4 star NYC restaurant experience ... however I believe a number of NJ restaurants come very close (e.g. Nicholas).

... however I believe a number of NJ restaurants come very close (e.g. Nicholas).

Any that we haven't already named above?

Other than Stage Left and maybe Brandl (I'm not sure I would call it a "destination" restaurant), at least from personal experience, there are none that I can add to the above list. I have read that others have swooned over the food at Fascino and Blu in Montclair but I have never dined at either establishment (I am trying Blu this weekend however). Some more to chew on - Green Gables in LBI, Serenade in Chatham and maybe Whispers in Spring Lake. Good luck on your quest.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

What about Highlawn Pavillion?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Now that we've hit the major NJ destination restaurants (please keep posting if you think of any others), I'd love to hear about other worthwhile NJ road trips or activities for foodies.

On my list so far:

-The Wine Experience, Tinton Falls - make your own wine (I haven't been yet but it's high on my To Do list)

-Delicious Orchards/Eastmont Orchards, Colts Neck, NJ - I love this country market and neighboring orchard where you can pick your own apples, pumpkins, peaches and sweet Jersey corn

-Cream Ridge Winery, Cream Ridge, NJ - fruit wines (any other NJ winery recommendations?)

A short trip from NJ:

-Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY - top destination restaurant in the midst of a working farm

-Long Island wineries

Thanks for posting the link to the No 9 discussion thread - I found it very informative and look forward to making the trip very soon. As we tend to be spontaneous about our road trips, would you say that reservations are reqired on a weekend? Also, I noticed that most of the posts regarding No 9 were several years old - is it still as wonderful?

Yes, reservations are strongly suggested...it is a small room that tends to fill up quickly on the weekends. There is always the possibility that you could luck out and get a table by just showing up, but I wouldn't risk it. In my opinion it is still as wonderful...I have been a semi regular there (once a month or so) for about a year. The braised shortribs are fantastic, and there are always a number of seasonal items to choose from.

Sorry for the delayed response....just got back from vaca.

"I can resist everything except temptation." Oscar Wilde

I would also like to add Cafe Matisse in Rutherford and Le Rendez-vous in Kenilworth, Basilico in Milburn and Fascino in Montclair. Some of the ones already mentioned are some of my favorites as well.

We live in Union Co. and go into NYC to eat usually once a week but sometimes I just don't want to deal with the traffic and will stay in NJ. There are many great restaurants in NJ but the choices in NYC are endless!!! I'm glad you are compiling a list of destination restaurants. It will be very helpful!! :biggrin:

Lori