• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birmingham

kutsu

How about the Ikon gallery café in Brindley Place, nice Spanishy tapas style grub.

I've been meaning to try this place for ages, have heard good things.

Was Chez Jules that bad? That's a shame, it used to be really nice, basic but honest.

I'm afraid it was really bad. I've pretty much blocked out the gory details though.

I've yet to be disappointed by Cafe Ikon - They show La Tasca opposite on Broad St how tapas and Paella really should be.

A few years ago, going to Chez Jules would mean great value for decent food (especially when they did a 3 course menu + a bottle of house wine for £12) Unfortunately, it now means unpleasant food, poor service and the same 3 courses + half a bottle of wine for £15. Shame really, I used to love going to Chez Jules but I've not been for over 2 years now because of the awful esxperience I had last time I was there.

Opus is on my list. the last two times I've dined at Purnells I've looked across at Opus and wondered what it would be like.

I had a wonderful meal last weekend at Ambassade de Lille.and Armand,who is Jean-C hristophe's chef used to work there.I am assuming the food is going to be on the money given the fact Armand used to work there.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 4 weeks later...

Was at Birmingham last weekend to catch the All England Badminton championships and dined at newly crowned Michelin starred restaurant Turners. Here is an excerpt of my experince:

Our meal at Turners was a pleasant event. Staff were friendly and attentive while Richard Turner himself would pop out from the kitchen from time to time to… cut the cheese!

In terms of the cooking, you will not find much innovation or a sense of adventure. Instead, the food here focuses on well sourced, quality ingredients which is cooked well with good technique. This indeed was a good meal and the denizens of Birmingham should be proud to have such a restaurant. I will be happy to return should I happen to be in Birmingham but I don’t think I would travel up specifically to eat here.

For a full review, you can find it on my blog by following the link below.

Was at Birmingham last weekend to catch the All England Badminton championships and dined at newly crowned Michelin starred restaurant Turners. Here is an excerpt of my experince:

Our meal at Turners was a pleasant event. Staff were friendly and attentive while Richard Turner himself would pop out from the kitchen from time to time to… cut the cheese!

In terms of the cooking, you will not find much innovation or a sense of adventure. Instead, the food here focuses on well sourced, quality ingredients which is cooked well with good technique. This indeed was a good meal and the denizens of Birmingham should be proud to have such a restaurant. I will be happy to return should I happen to be in Birmingham but I don’t think I would travel up specifically to eat here.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed it.

Lets hope success does not start to push the prices up too much.

As I notice from your review the "tasting" is now £49,when it was £45 a short while ago.

Not that I am nit picking,its just that the recent "tasting" I had at Fraiche was only £55 for an incredible amount of courses,and top,top,quality.

Sorry if I give the game away,but I'm looking forward to your upcoming review.

I won't name names,however we know its not Purnells (shame).

I'm interested to see how you rate it!

@d_goodfellow1

I'm pleased that you enjoyed it.

As I notice from your review the "tasting" is now £49,when it was £45 a short while ago.

Not that I am nit picking,its just that the recent "tasting" I had at Fraiche was only £55 for an incredible amount of courses,and top,top,quality.

To be fair on them, our tasting menu did include a few more posh ingredients (venison, caviar, foie gras) and of course now features home made bread (always a good thing).

I will get along writing the review of the other restaurant this weekend when I have a bit more time.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed

To be fair on them, our tasting menu did include a few more posh ingredients (venison, caviar, foie gras) and of course now features home made bread (always a good thing).

I will get along writing the review of the other restaurant this weekend when I have a bit more time.

Keep up the good work.

Have a good weekend, and,

Happy Eating!

@d_goodfellow1

• 1 month later...
The review of my second restaurant I dined at Birmingham, Simpsons is up. In general I had a very enjoyable experience although the prices charged are more akin to London than the midlands. You can find the full review on my blog by following the link attached to my signature.

Well, the news that Birmingham is a great place to eat is obviously out. Both Purnell's and Turners fully booked tonight. Both doing corking set menus at £32.95 and £25 a head respectively.

I might have to cook!!

• 4 months later...

My quest for England's best QPR lunch took me to Brockencote Hall,Chaddesley Corbett yesterday.

3 courses + amuse for £22.Copious supply of decent white and seeded brown rolls. Glasses (175 ml) of wine start at just under a fiver. The Chilean sauvignon blanc I chose was very good for the price.

Amuse was leek and potato soup. Nicely concentrated flavours. Starter of smoked chicken and quail medallion with pickled veg hit the spot because of the chunkiness of the meat. Haddock main was cooked to perfection but the dish overall was too dry. Pudding of pannacotta with Baileys ice cream, figs and nuts was the highlight of an impressive lunch.

Chef John Sherry's cooking earned him a place on the Michelin Guide's 2007 list of 'Rising Stars'. Since he has only recently taken over the 2010 GFG doesn't score Brockencote Hall. I'd put it on a par with last week's Lewtrenchard Manor at 6. Where it fails to match the latter is in the friendliness of staff. They were too formal for my taste; very efficient however.

(Wasn't sure where to put this post. Didn't think it appropriate to start a new thread. Chose this spot because of the proximity of Chaddesley Corbett to Brum. )

• 3 weeks later...

my knowledge of pubs isnt that great for Birmingham and west midlands area but in my opinion number one restaurant is Purnells. constantly good, booking is require these days which is more than a sign that hes doing something good there. take no notice of the char coal he lobs around like confetti the rest of the cooking is absolutely superb.

if youre looking for somewhere to get slightly out of town then Edgebaston is beautiful, nicest part of brum and Simpsons do a really good lunch deal, has that out of city feel if youre looking for it over the town centre hussle and bussle of Purnells.

Le Champignon Sauvage isnt technically speaking the midlands but seeing as youre coming from Singapore im sure another 20 mins isnt too far to go for some food by the best chef in England 21 years old the place is and its still going strong, a little piece of heritage right there.

three crowns at ullingswick is very good local, slightly more food orientated pub. go on a really dull dreary day to get the best of out it. the herefordshire country side surrounds you outside and inside. good luck finding it!!

Somewhere, I've seen PhilD rave over a recentish Indian meal at Lasan but I can't seem to find the post. He was rating it higher than many of the "posh" London places and it's on my list to visit.

John Hartley

John - you are right Lasan it was. Although for someone from Singapore I suspect it will be quite routine as Singapore has some very very good Indian food (the banana leaf restaurants).

One tip, if the OP want to go to Purnell's (which he should) then book as soon as possible it's getting booked out a month or two in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere, I've seen PhilD rave over a recentish Indian meal at Lasan

I see Lasan featured in this week's "F Word" on TV as one of the two Indian places in Ramsey's competition. Food looked damn good.

John Hartley

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried Loves? I just stumbled across its website via Birminghamplus: http://www.loves-restaurant.co.uk/ - menu looks decent!

Yep, yours truly.

They have not been open very long at all.

Was on another foodie / chef site about three weeks ago thinking about where to eat and stumbled across a link to Steve Loves place, so promptly booked a table as I have wanted to eat his food from when he was at Cotswold House in beautiful Chipping Campden

I sort of do my best to try to post a report asap so as I don't forget the detail, but I am as lazy as the next man when it actually comes to it.

I kept some notes and hopefully will be able to put something forward pretty soon.

@d_goodfellow1

• 1 year later...

Any suggestions where to go on a Monday night? Purnells and Turners are closed. Simpsons (my regular place in Birmingham) can be hit and miss on a Monday. I was thinking of Edmunds, any views?

Thanks

Andrew