• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birmingham

kutsu

My wife's birthday coming up and as it's always the one day of the year that i don't cook, we like to eat out as well we can! So question is for those Brummies in the know, do we go to Simpsons again (always very enjoyable) or do we try somewhere else?

In particular i'm thinking about splashing out on a tasting menu at Simpsons, how do the ones at Purnell's compare? Or for that matter anywhere else, i'm open to suggestions.

Try Glynn's tasting menu at Purnell's. Simpson's is okay, but it vains me to pay their prices for a tasting menu that just verges on novel, but feels somewhat tried and tested. How many pumpkin soup first courses does one need?

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread as we have the distinct privilege of _THREE_ Michelin star restaurants in Birmingham now: Simpsons, Purnells and Turners. And as I am no more than 10 minutes drive from them all, I couldn't be happier.

If you add Opus and Lasan to the mix, my feeling is that Birmingham is a great place for foodies to live right now! Of course its nothing on London, but probably a good deal better than Manchester, Liverpool or Bristol. With the advantage that getting tables is like falling off a log.

I've got a big birthday coming up, so have booked into Simpsons for a second go at their tasting menu. The twist here is that they are offering a Chefs' Table in their Cooking School - with all of the dishes prepared in front of you! So that should be quite interesting.

Yay, Brum is "officially bostin" for good grub now! Does it tempt any of you non-locals to visit? I hear that there are now motor highways that radiate out from the M25.

Come, come it's not that bad.

That's really selling it!!!

Trying to decide whether to go to Purnells around easter time for a (by that time) late birthday meal, other option is the rather un-brum Allium, both have been on the visit list for some time. Whats the best option at Purnells? Do have a tasting menu/is this the best thing to go for?

Trying to decide whether to go to Purnells around easter time for a (by that time) late birthday meal, other option is the rather un-brum Allium, both have been on the visit list for some time. Whats the best option at Purnells? Do have a tasting menu/is this the best thing to go for?

They do a 7 course tasting menu at Purnells: http://www.purnellsrestaurant.com/menus.php - I've not had it, ordered A la Carte the last few times I went.

For me the standout dishes are the poached egg yolk and smoked haddock milk foam with cornflakes, and the brill cooked in coconut milk.

I do really like and respect what Glyn is doing, but I have to say I don't have huge urges to go to Purnells when considering dining options. My interest is more academic than gustatory.

Would like to try Allium soon.

I am a bit surprised no one has mentioned Turners in Harbourne yet.Birmingham can now boast three michelin star restaurants.This really puts Manchester to shame(come on you reds).

Well,here we go.

No sooner had I found out about ,not only Purnells star(expected)but the revelation Brum had another one, set the phone a ringing to book a few meals.

I had a wonderful lunch at Purnells a couple of weeks ago(my second visit)and dined at Turners this tuesday just gone

Weekends as you may expect are very busy,however I had planned to try their Auberge menu which is on a tuesday and wednesday3 courses for £17.50 with two choices at each course..A snip.

Now if this place was just around the corner from me i would no doubt be a regular,especially at these prices.

On entering the restaurant we did not feel a rush of warmth,more a feeling of ?.

Well considering I had just driven 50 miles on the frozen M6 to get here a wagging tail might have been nice.

The place was quite quiet to start with,although our table was for 7.30.A number of the tables were set for large parties.

Now for the food.We did not like the bread,not unusual perhaps for my wife,she is not a bready person.Very unusual for me,I love it.It had been re-heated and was verging on rock hard.

We ordered the same starter and main,something I try to avoid,as it is good to taste different dishes.

The starter was crispy poached egg,black pudding,pancetta red wine vinaigrette and a smattering of leaves.

We enjoyed this dish,perfectly cooked egg,crispy,tasty panchetta and the black pud

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Sorry about that folks I didn,t realise I was being so verbose.lol.

,,,,,,,and the black pudding was pureed adding a bit of elegance to the dish.

Roast breast of Gressingham duck croustillant of leg,baby pak choi,with five spice sauce,followed.This was of a good standard,spoilt ,somewhat by the prep of my wife,s breast (more tea vicar).The sinew was still embedded.

We finished the meal with french and english farmhouse cheeses(for madam),and I had the Vanilla panna cotta with rhubarb sorbet.Now this is right up my street I am a sucker for both components.

All in all a pretty decent meal on a par with perhaps say Arbutus although it has to be said the portion sizes were more "tasting" size than the aforementioned.Prompting my wife to say "I could just eat a bag of chips on the way home".

If the review seems a bit negative it will not stop me returning for the tasting menu at £45 if it lives up to the promise it has to be a bargain

As a point of interest I paid in cash and asked for a copy of the bill, the waitress asked if I required any change rather cheekily I thought.I said no. As it was the £60 paid included a 10% tip I waited for the receipt,it did not arrive I had to ask another member of staff for it.It seemed to me she had her prize ,move on. I,m still waiting for a good night sir

@d_goodfellow1

crispy poached egg

Please explain, I have never come across this before.

think scotch egg without the sausage i would suspect, had very good example in france last week

Spot on Gary I could not have described it any better

@d_goodfellow1

crispy poached egg

Please explain, I have never come across this before.

think scotch egg without the sausage i would suspect, had very good example in france last week

Like Thai deep fried eggs? That makes sense - I was wondering how poaching could make them crispy.

Anyone care to recommend a brasserie style place, thinking about going next week the lady didn't take too well to the purnell's menu. Thinking £15 a head ish for food.

Recommendations for places to see in Brum are welcome too, shopping at the bullring is high on the list but i can't foresee that taking all day, though i know she'll give it a bloody good go.

How about Chez Jules just off New St. I've not been for a few years but i remember it being a very reasonably priced good French Bistro. Or you could try popping into Chinatown if you find yourself down at the Debenham's end of the Bull Ring. Or there are a few decent Italian places if the lady prefers?

Anyone care to recommend a brasserie style place, thinking about going next week the lady didn't take too well to the purnell's menu. Thinking £15 a head ish for food.

Recommendations for places to see in Brum are welcome too, shopping at the bullring is high on the list but i can't foresee that taking all day, though i know she'll give it a bloody good go.

I would second Opus for quality (just opposite Purnell's) although you will pay more than £15 a head. Turners which just got its star has a very reasonably priced lunch menu (http://www.turnersofharborne.com/lunch%20menu.htm) but you will want to book in advance.

I recommend visiting the museum of the Jewellery Quarter and going on one of their tours. It is free and highly recommended.

Or there are a few decent Italian places if the lady prefers?

You mean like Piccolino's or Cielo's in Brindleyplace? I prefer the former, although I had a very tasty dish of crab linguine at the latter recently. It is a bit of a haunt for the Gucci-wearing plastic-face footballers wives set though and I didn't really like the ambience.

Yup those two, not much shopping around Brindley place though and bit of a schlep from the Bull Ring. Though there is the Brummie "Walk of Stars" around there that would keep you amused for all of five seconds....*Ozzy Osborne* *Jasper Carrott* er... *Noddy Holder*. Then of course you haven't been to Brum until you've strolled along a canal. How about the Ikon gallery café in Brindley Place, nice Spanishy tapas style grub.

Was Chez Jules that bad? That's a shame, it used to be really nice, basic but honest. How about San Carlo on Temple St. Chain Italian but pretty decent if I recall

How about the Ikon gallery café in Brindley Place, nice Spanishy tapas style grub.

I've been meaning to try this place for ages, have heard good things.

Was Chez Jules that bad? That's a shame, it used to be really nice, basic but honest.

I'm afraid it was really bad. I've pretty much blocked out the gory details though.