• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Shrimp 101

ShawtyCat

Im overcooking my shrimp. I just know it. But before I go and seriously damage my poor tastebuds with those tiny precooked shrimp...I am hoping someone...anyone can help me. :unsure: Pwweezzz??

Oh...yeah.. What the heck does opaque look like?? :blink:

As soon as they turn pink - they're ready - get them off the fire.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Forget opaque - think pink! Yes, it apllies to shelled shrimp.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Goddamit! They should edit that word out of cookbooks! I picked up a strictly shrimp cookbook thinking I could learn something about cooking shellfish and those bastards told me opaque! :angry: Allrightythen. :hmmm: Thanks Rich. Now I don't feel like such a dumbass. :biggrin: Pink it is.

Edit: I looked up Opaque.

a. Impenetrable by light; neither transparent nor translucent.

b. Not reflecting light; having no luster: an opaque finish.

What the heck is that supposed to mean in cooking terms?? At least I can SEE pink.

True, but at that size and at $25 a pound who would dare call them "shrimp" to their face.

Rich Schulhoff

In cooking terms, it means exactly as you found the definition.

When they turn pink -- that is, they lose their translucent nature and are more "solid looking".  

SA

Solid looking? :huh: That's what I cooked them to and they were tough little suckers. :sad: I bought those Jumbo peeled shrimp from the supermarket that were almost 10 bux a pound. I have no clue what size they are.

Jumbo and $10 a pound translate into 21-25 shrimp per pound (most likely). Don't worry, you don't have 4-6 per pound. They would look like one-armed small lobsters.

Rich Schulhoff

In cooking terms, it means exactly as you found the definition.

When they turn pink -- that is, they lose their translucent nature and are more "solid looking".  

SA

Solid looking? :huh: That's what I cooked them to and they were tough little suckers. :sad: I bought those Jumbo peeled shrimp from the supermarket that were almost 10 bux a pound. I have no clue what size they are.

Back some years ago when I first began cooking shrimp, I was advised by someone to cook them "until they JUST BEGIN to curl."

And that's what I've done.

And it always seems to work out great.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

True, but at that size and at $25 a pound who would dare call them "shrimp" to their face.

I live in the GTA greater toronto area and I buy the 6 to 8 lb by the box (4lb) individually frozen for $52.00 cdn. 13.00 a lb.

If I'm cooking normal sized shrimp,on a med-high flame they will cook literally in 90 to 120 seconds.

If they have curled,there overdone.

Im overcooking my shrimp.  I just know it.  But before I go and seriously damage my poor tastebuds with those tiny precooked shrimp...I am hoping someone...anyone can help me.  :unsure:  Pwweezzz??

Oh...yeah..  What the heck does opaque look like?? :blink:

Shawts...Opaque simply means you can't see through it. Translucent means you can partially see through it. Shrimp look almost translucent when they're raw but they're unmistakably opaque after cooking.

LESS is definitely better than more. Shrimp will continue to cook for a short period after removing them from the heat source. They will cook even longer afterward if they are in any type of sauce.