• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richmond area foodie shopping

K_A_S

I moved to Farmville (a little over an hour from Richmond) a while back, and I'm still learning where to go in Richmond. I've found a couple of restaurants that I like (Emilio's for tapas, and Kuba Kuba for Cuban), and at least one that I don't (Pasta Luna for pretty mediocre Italian). I've been to the Sur la Table for kitchen goodies, but it's the only kitchenware store that I know. And I don't even know where to begin buying high-end grocery items that we can't get in Farmville (not that we can get much of anything high-end in Farmville :wacko: ) .

So here's my question: where do the Richmond eGulleters shop for all the cooking-related things (food, and the gadgets to cook it with) in Richmond? How about wine shopping?

Also, any recommendations about good Italian restaurants are welcome. :biggrin:

K_A_S,

I hit Farmville a few times when I lived in Richmond (to/from Lynchburg, Green Front shopping). Cute place.

Richmond is a cool town and we enjoyed living there. I haven't been back in abt a year so I apologize if any of these recs are now closed.

For Italian: Already posted about Mamma 'Zu. Ed's other place, Edo's Squid, is a bit nicer space on the VCU campus although it's a PIA to park. From either place, I'd kill for some of his squid and white bean (and arugula) salad, orechiette, broc rabe, any fish (especially grilled sardines in the summer), pizza, etc. right now. (Pizza's only at lunch at MZ). For white cloth Italian, we enjoyed Franco's in the west end.

Shopping: Always loved the people at River City Cellars in Carytown for wine, beer and cheese. Not the biggest wine selection but really helpful people. Tan-A Asian supermarket for Asian groceries.

I'm pretty sure there's some old threads on this topic in this forum that might produce some good ideas.

Thanks for the comments! I've been to the wine shop in Carytown (and like it), and I thank you for your comments about Mamma 'Zu, Edo's Squid, and Franco's. I'll have to give them a try soon. As far as other threads on the topic, actually I did a pretty thorough search of the fora before I posted this, and I didn't find anything at all about shopping in the RIC area.

Thanks again for the response!

Thanks for the comments! I've been to the wine shop in Carytown (and like it), and I thank you for your comments about Mamma 'Zu, Edo's Squid, and Franco's. I'll have to give them a try soon. As far as other threads on the topic, actually I did a pretty thorough search of the fora before I posted this, and I didn't find anything at all about shopping in the RIC area. 

Thanks again for the response!

KAS, I also moved to Farmville a couple of years ago, moved from Richmond (retired), lived in the Fan. I, too, have difficulty finding things in Farmville, and am constantly looking for sources for food and kitchen items. I order a lot of stuff. King Arthur, Penzey's, Amazon, lol, keeps me sane.

I still go to UKROPS for some items, Joe's Market (Ukrops owned, near Libbe & Grove), Thom Leonard's (West End, good producec), Ellwood Thompson's (organic market), and sometimes to the Kroger downtown near VCU. There's also a European Market and a new wine shop - both in the Fan, on Main St. near VCU. I know there's a Whole Foods Market coming to the West End area, not sure when. Wouldn't we love to have a Trader Joe's??

For kitchen items, I rely on the Internet mostly. And travel to either Raleigh or Northern VA occasionally. There is Williams & Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, & Pottery Barn in Short Pump, and Sur la Table in Stoney Point. But, ho hum, right? Actually, if you ever decide to travel to Roanoke, I found a great kitchen store there. In fact, it's a FANTASTIC kitchen store. Let me know if you decide to travel there. (Also a fun new cooking school there as well - nice road trip. Web site - http://www.cookingmadefun.com)

Mamma Zu's was a favorite haunt when we lived in Richmond (once a week generally for about 10 years). BTW, they do accept Amex, but no reservations for less than party of six. Also, highly recommend River City Wine Cellar for wine, beer and cheese. There are other places to buy wine in town, but the assitance there is without parallel. Try Midnight Mountain cheese the next time you're there. There is a kitchen store in Carytown, and they do cooking classes occasionally there.

At any rate, welcome to Farmville. Nice to have an EG'er around. Hope we can share information, cooking interests, and local flavor.

KAS, I also moved to Farmville a couple of years ago, moved from Richmond (retired), lived in the Fan.  I, too, have difficulty finding things in Farmville, and am constantly looking for sources for food and kitchen items.  I order a lot of stuff.  King Arthur, Penzey's, Amazon, lol, keeps me sane.

[snip... snip... snip...]

At any rate, welcome to Farmville.  Nice to have an EG'er around.  Hope we can share information, cooking interests, and local flavor.

Thanks for the comments and for the welcome. I moved to Farmville about a year ago, and I have been able to find a lot of things that I didn't expect to find here, but still... I thank my stars that Philip is in town, and I'd be happier if the PE Bean hadn't closed.

Disclaimer - I work there...but The Fresh Market has opened on Parham Road in Richmond. Pretty good stuff - especially as compared to what is available elsewhere in Richmond. Don't go expecting tons of health food type stuff. And it isn't huge. But the meat department is very good and so is produce.

Good Foods Grocery at Gayton Crossing Shopping Center is good for health food.