• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best soup dumplings/xiaolongbao

dangerpirate

Can anyone give me guidance? There's an article on Slate today that got me thinking. It's been years since I was obsessed wiht soup dumplings. Where do you go to get your fix?

Well to tell you the truth, there isn't really a great place in Houston that has it. Either the inside isn't soupy or the skin is really tough. Some places that have it though are North China which has an okay version. That's on Kingsride near Memorial City Mall. Or Lai Lai's on Bellaire in the Diho complex.

Saandong Noodle House on Bellaire has superb dumpling soup. Beef Noodle Soup is also top notch.

I agree, but the dumpling soup (which is actually dumplings in soup) there isn't the same as soup dumplings that I believe dangerpirate is referring to which is actually dumplings with meat and soup in them not unlike and more rustic version of grant achatz's black truffle explosion. haha.

Watch out there, though, there's been two robberies in that complex over the last month and car hijacking at hong kong 4 market. The whole community up around there I've heard is getting really nervous.

Saandong Noodle House on Bellaire has superb dumpling soup. Beef Noodle Soup is also top notch.

I agree, but the dumpling soup (which is actually dumplings in soup) there isn't the same as soup dumplings that I believe dangerpirate is referring to which is actually dumplings with meat and soup in them not unlike and more rustic version of grant achatz's black truffle explosion. haha.

Watch out there, though, there's been two robberies in that complex over the last month and car hijacking at hong kong 4 market. The whole community up around there I've heard is getting really nervous.

yes, those soup dumplings from san dong are just pork dumplings in a beef-based soup. we should probably start calling "soup dumplings" xiaolongbao to end any confusion.

In related matters, i just read this call for a Dumpling Revolution on Slate: http://www.slate.com/id/2150499/fr/rss/

Xiong's Cafe on Bellaire (9888 Bellaire Blvd Ste 150) and their other branch called Old Place Cafe on Highway 6 (4555 Highway 6) in Sugar Land makes the best soup dumplings. Other favorites there are the cilantro/pork dumplings and their spicy beef noodle soup. We eat there about once a week for lunch and I sometimes pick stuff up for dinner.

They also make their noodles fresh inhouse and sell it by the pound if you are interested.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 months later...
Xiong's Cafe on Bellaire (9888 Bellaire Blvd Ste 150) and their other branch called Old Place Cafe on Highway 6 (4555 Highway 6) in Sugar Land makes the best soup dumplings. Other favorites there are the cilantro/pork dumplings and their spicy beef noodle soup. We eat there about once a week for lunch and I sometimes pick stuff up for dinner.

They also make their noodles fresh inhouse and sell it by the pound if you are interested.

i'm visiting my sister next week, and fresh noodles are definitely something we're lacking in portland (at least as far as i know). however, i am vegetarian (well, fishetarian). is xiong's veggie-friendly? any other recommendations?