• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grosse Pointe, Michigan restaurants

ryangary

Gee, when I visit my old stomping grounds in GP I often drive to Windsor for dinner.

Outside of that, I'd recommend Jumps, on Kercheval, in GP Farms; Mack Avenue Diner, on Mack, in GP Woods; Vienna Cafe, on Mack, in GP Park; Steve's Mediterranean Cuisine (aka Steve's Backroom), on Jefferson in St. Clair Shores. Info about all of them (and more) is here.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm a native Grosse Pointer and my parents still live there. I recently spent a week with them while in transition (husband had already moved to IL and I had to finish up at work). A brilliant new addition to the dining scene is City Kitchen. It's in "the Village" - which outsiders would call downtown Grosse Pointe. Lucy's is great for bar food - it's cozy and dark though. Jumps is more of a lunch spot IMO - but surprisingly good for a basement restaurant without much ambience.

I'm a native Grosse Pointer and my parents still live there.  I recently spent a week with them while in transition (husband had already moved to IL and I had to finish up at work).  A brilliant new addition to the dining scene is City Kitchen.  It's in "the Village" - which outsiders would call downtown Grosse Pointe.  Lucy's is great for bar food - it's cozy and dark though.  Jumps is more of a lunch spot IMO - but surprisingly good for a basement restaurant without much ambience.

Hey, cool. Thanks for the tip about City Kitchen! Here's a review.

A friend who still lives there says she really likes Cafe Nini Da Edoardo, on Kercheval in The Hill.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Some would say that it's because Grosse Pointers don't like to spend their money... there has always been a dearth of good restaurants in GP. Another theory is that those who truly have money belong to private clubs, and often dine there. Despite the image, there are a lot of people in Grosse Pointe who are regular middle class people, and stretch their money to be able to afford a house and taxes so they can send their kids to GP schools. That doesn't leave a lot of money for fine dining.

To add to annarborfoodie's comments, the Pointes, although affluent, have always been a much more conservative area -- financially, politically, and culinarily -- than the affluent or relatively well-off northern and western 'burbs (e.g., Birmingham or Northville). Iin general, the residents are less apt to have even a moderately adventurous palate. They're also less apt to drive to the other side of town for dinner. Conversely, because the Pointes are relative small and geographically isolated, and because there are good restaurants north and west, the local places tend to draw most of their customers only from the immediate area.