• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Scone Recipe

Carolyn Tillie

Maybe upwards of ten years ago, I recall a Martha episode where she made a scone recipe that could be frozen. I can specifically see her making a triangle-shaped log and cutting 2" slices (versus freeforming or rolling out dough and cutting rounds).

I then recall her saying that the individual slices could be frozen and baked at will.

Now that cool mornings are descening upon San Francisco, I would love to have single-serving scones ready in my freezer that I can bake one at a time.

If not Martha's recipe, any bakers around here have any suggestions? I really don't want to freeze already-baked scones -- I want them fresh out of the oven ready for clotted cream and jam... :wub:

I mix, round, and cut all my scones then stick them in the freezer till firm. Then I inividually wrap and freeze them in a ziploc bag. Never a problem yet. Just don't let them linger in the freezer for months on end.

A personal favorite is the recipe in Baking with Julia. Martha also has a few in her Baking Handbook, but I've only made the chocolate. It was ok -- good texture but chocolate things often let me down.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Do you have The Cheese Board cookbook, Carolyn? Their scones freeze beautifully. They're a drop scone. Can flavor them a million ways in addition to the variations in their book. My particular favorite is the pumpkin version -- as they say in the book, it is surprisingly light for a pumpkin baked good. I also make a ginger version: I add a teaspoon or two of ground ginger to the dry ingredients and lots of chopped crystallized ginger.

Edited to say I just re-read your post and realize you want a tea scone, not a breakfast scone. Whatever scone recipe you use, they all tend to freeze and bake up beautifully.

And get The Cheese Board Cooperative book. They have good recipes and lots of good ideas.

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Do you have The Cheese Board cookbook, Carolyn?  Their scones freeze beautifully.  They're a drop scone.  Can flavor them a million ways in addition to the variations in their book.  My particular favorite is the pumpkin version -- as they say in the book, it is surprisingly light for a pumpkin baked good.  I also make a ginger version:  I add a teaspoon or two of ground ginger to the dry ingredients and lots of chopped crystallized ginger.

Edited to say I just re-read your post and realize you want a tea scone, not a breakfast scone.  Whatever scone recipe you use, they all tend to freeze and bake up beautifully.

And get The Cheese Board Cooperative book.  They have good recipes and lots of good ideas.

What is the difference you mean by breakfast scone? I assume tea scone is what I think a scone is.

Do you cook them from frozen, or thaw them first?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday