• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Had wisdom teeth pulled!

owzer

Just had all 4 of my wisdow teeth taken out....

Swelling seems to have gone down.

But I have HUNGRY and I do not want any more

fruit smoothies, congee or soup.  :wacko:

Any helpful hints?

Owzer

While I feel for your pain - and the post-wisdow situation you find yourself in - I think, first off, a dictionary might help.

I have hungry, too.

Do you have a blender for savory-soup/stew smoothies?

Failing that, I recommend BOOZE!

Memo, shut the wisdow, close the blinds, drink the liquid for hungry have eyes :unsure:

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

While I feel for your pain - and the post-wisdow situation you find yourself in - I think, first off, a dictionary might help.

I have hungry, too.

'i have hungry...' :biggrin::biggrin: i think that sounds cute, owzer. i'm very sorry about what you're having to go through.

anyway, why not try some of the wonderful squash that's beginning to come into season? i love roasted squash drizzled with dark grade b maple syrup or some fine sugar tossed with a bit of molasses. you can try soft-cooked scrambled egg, as that would be easy to chew. but, perhaps that's to come a little later in your recovery. you can try all sorts of creamy desserts like ice cream or pudding, and the temperature might help to dull the pain. prehaps someone else might have some better suggestions...

feel better.

-honorspianist

Edited by honorspianist (log)

do you like tofu? how about soft tofu, cooked ma po tofu -style sauce, maybe minus the meat. or some pan-fried egg-tofu

my mom used to make her own baby food for my younger sisters that i would steal cuz it was so tasty. make some very soft rice/dry congee with beef/meat of choice+some dark greens, put the lot through the blender, add some maggi sauce (or soy, i always used maggi)

have a cheese fondue night! with very soft soft bread and just let it melt in your mouth...

japanese oden-style stews or hot pot where you boil the sh*t out of daikon, taro root, potato.

those are pretty soft but still tasty...good luck!

(as for my own wisdom teeth experience - also 4 at once, all i could dream about during the recovery period was big burgers and steaks, something i could really rip into! i feel for ya)

Edited by PearL (log)

Ouch, been there as well (all 4 at once). The best thing about it was the valium I.V. (ha ha ha!). Though they are disgusting, those nutritional drinks like Boost may help you maintain some energy and feel a little better. How about whipped potatoes? If you do 'em with a mixer you can get them nice and smooth. Maybe an aspic as a change of taste from jello?

Hope this helps and please accept my sympathies :smile:.

"It was the lard that did it." -- Jamie Hyneman

I had the four done at once too, AND they became impacted. Horrid time. This might sound a bit boring, but gawd it was tasty - I lived on vanilla ice cream blended with canned peaches. A little chopped mint if you're up to it . . ..

Then, to alternate the sweet with some savoury, I'd sip on chicken consomme with lots of sauteed garlic and a splash of wine or brandy.

Feel better soon!

edited: sorry - you said you didn't want any more fruit smoothies or soup. Bad suggestions then . . ..

Edited by lauraf (log)

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

- Pho? I was able to stomach the noodles in soup pretty easily with impacted holes x 4

- Runny Shepherds pie? If you make it with cream corn, the whole thing is soft and oh so comfort foody.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

My eldest son had all four wisdom teeth taken out last month; yesterday he had braces put on. Our whole lives seem to revolve around finding things that he can eat.

Soups that weren't too hot worked well. He has a part-time job at Safeway and so we bought some of that store's "fresh" soups (some of which aren't bad at all), especially the tomato because it didn't have anything lumpy in it. He also found he could eat soft pasta, like gnocchi, and (as long as he careful to clean out the little holes at the back of his mouth afterwards) risotto. Omlets and scrambled eggs were fine, as was tofu. Fresh bread, with the crusts cut off, worked.

Actually, by chewing at the front of his mouth like a dog, he was eating heartier fare within a week.

Get better!

Paul B

Thanks everyone. =)

Was suppose to read "I am Hungry".

Must be the drugs.....LOL

2nd day is much worse, as the swelling has increased. =/

So far I'm on a diet of watermelon juice and soup.

Just worried about getting bits stuck in the stiches....

Thanks for all the helpful tips. `

Just wish I can get rid the craving for a nice piece of steak.

Best,

Owzer

Having wisdom teeth taken out is an excellent excuse to eat lots of ice cream and make lots of milk shakes! :biggrin:

I had FIVE (yes, five, I'm extra wise) taken out at the same time, and found that matzoh ball soup was good. I would just cut up the matzoh into little bitty peices with my spoon so that I didn't have to take too big bites. It was filling and satisfying and didn't hurt to eat.

Also, lemon sorbet with raspberry coulis is really yummy, less caloric than ice cream, and very refreshing. I think I ate at least one bowl of that every day for a week.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

When I had all four of mine taken out, every meal went into the blender. Yes, it drove me nuts because I wanted something, anything with chewable texture which I couldn't have, of course.

Lasagne in a blender. :blink: May I never have to experience that again.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I had all four out two months ago. Maybe I'm a piglet because not even the pain and four bloody, gaping holes in my mouth kept me from eating whatever the rest of the family was eating. I do wish to warn you that, if the pain medication makes you vomit (as Oxycodone and acetominophen with codeine made me), whatever you eat could come back up, so just make sure it's something not too chunky or acidic or otherwise painful to upchuck. The positive side of nausea is that it makes you not care what you eat. I was nauseated for a whole day -- a whole day of not eating and not caring, oh my.

Thanks everyone. =)

Was suppose to read "I am Hungry".

Must be the drugs.....LOL

2nd day is much worse, as the swelling has increased. =/

So far I'm on a diet of watermelon juice and soup.

Just worried about getting bits stuck in the stiches....

Thanks for all the helpful tips.  `

Just wish I can get rid the craving for a nice piece of steak.

Best,

Owzer

I may be able to get you close... once you feel you can eat some more or less solid food. Try these Balsamic Portobello Steaks from the Williams-Sonoma website. I had them this week with a little bit of chevre, and they were just wonderful. Also easier to chew than actual beef, but with a flavor that does at least in part address the beef craving.

If the link doesn't work, go to the W-S website, click on RECIPES and search for Balsamic Portobello Steaks. Or PM me! And do enjoy the drugs!

Maybe I'm a piglet because not even the pain and four bloody, gaping holes in my mouth kept me from eating whatever the rest of the family was eating.

I'm a piglet too. I chewed slowly and carefully with my front choppers and ate anything that wasn't sharp, like potato chips.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Flat rice noodles (the kind that cook and turn slightly translucent, like the kind that is used for Pho and Pad Thai) and fine rice vermicelli (the Chinese kind, not the Japanese, as they are softer and the better brands are almost melt in your mouth) in broth should be good too.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I had all four taken out at the same time too. I think I mostly ate soft-mushy rice with soy sauce. Sorry I can't offer you any other advice. Hope you feel better soon, owzer.

A few days after my surgery (when I was not ready for solid food), Dad brought home a roast duck. Mean, mean, mean.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

omg, my wisdom teeth are coming through and I don't have dental insurance :sad:. I have to wait an entire year to get it, but thankfully my wisdom teeth aren't painful just an annoyance.

I too reccommend booze, but nothing too cold. Wouldn't ice cold beverages be kind of painful seeing as how your teeth are in pain? Room temperature whiskey mixed with a little water is a good toothache remedy even my grandmother uses it.

mashed potatos with lots of butter and cream (:

good luck, I hope you feel better and look at it this way, if you wanted to lose weight now you will!

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I had several adventures when I had my wisdom teeth removed - I kind of wish they'd all gone at once.

I lived on cottage cheese, jello, pudding, mashed potatoes, and cans of Underwood Deviled Ham spread and the Underwood Chicken spread. And bananas. Bananas smoosh well.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog