• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paella at El Patio

jlo mein

Has anyone special ordered the Paella at El Patio? The fact that it requires advance ordering and minimum of 2 people makes me wonder if it is a rather special dish tehre.

I have had the tapas paella at La Bodega and am planning to try the spanish paella dish at Century this week. The one at La Bodega had a very enjoyable soccarat (sp?). Of course, my obsession with paella stems from the foodtv episode of Tyler's Ultimate, where he featured a traditional paella as well as a cuban version.

As well, if anyone has any more recommendations for paella please voice your opinions.

I've yet to have a really satisfying paella in Vancouver, though the little tapas-sized one I had at Il Zuppo in North Van a couple of years ago came close. On the other hand, I had some friends just come back from Spain where they had terrible paella. This, of course, is why I have my own paella party every year: http://web.mac.com/dsdunbar/iWeb/Duchess%2...lla%202006.html

But would like to hear about your experience at El Patio (if it is open).

Paul B

I think El Patio has gone out of business.........at least the one in Yaletown has.

The El Patio in Yaletown did indeed close earlier this year, as the space was apparently sold for development.

I believe it is re-opening in a location on Denmand close to Davie, as a sign announcing that fact has been up for a few weeks.

Elizabeth

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook".

Word on the street is that it was a midnight move................the site is not up for development.

I think El Patio has gone out of business.........at least the one in Yaletown has.

The El Patio in Yaletown did indeed close earlier this year, as the space was apparently sold for development.

I believe it is re-opening in a location on Denmand close to Davie, as a sign announcing that fact has been up for a few weeks.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Yet to have any good Paella in Vancouver unfortunately.

Cheers,

Stephen

Call me 2 days ahead of time, I will make you paella. In fact I am looking at starting a light jazz duo Sunday nights and serving a few comfort food dishes eg paella, ciopinno and a bunch of chowders.

BTW no chicken or meat products will be present in the paella.

Marcus

Fish

Marcus Stiller

Fish & Fish Cafe

www.fishcafe.ca

no meat products = no chorizo as well?

I've had some great seafood paella in Spain but it still has some meat in it.

Stephen

I had some great seafood paella in Saint Tropez but it also had some meat in it.

Oh sorry, this didn't contribute much to the conversation, did it?

no meat products = no chorizo as well?

I've had some great seafood paella in Spain but it still has some meat in it.

Stephen

I had some great seafood paella in Saint Tropez but it also had some meat in it.

Oh sorry, this didn't contribute much to the conversation, did it?

I thought about making a great paella the last time I was in Burnaby...........

and this contributed not much either... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Yet to have any good Paella in Vancouver unfortunately.

Cheers,

Stephen

Call me 2 days ahead of time, I will make you paella. In fact I am looking at starting a light jazz duo Sunday nights and serving a few comfort food dishes eg paella, ciopinno and a bunch of chowders.

BTW no chicken or meat products will be present in the paella.

Marcus

Fish

Marcus - which location?

Thanks!

Gastronomista