• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Know where to buy a cheap paella pan? Ming wo has them, so does Que Pasa, neither are the low price leader in thier respective marketplace. Someone must sell a twenty dollar paella pan.

Whole Foods in Portland. They had a gorgeous heavy Paella pan for $25. It's a long drive, but soooo worth it.

I got my 13 inch pan from Que Pasa when they were still in Kits.

I do not recall it being that expensive. Its made of simple steel and I've abused it quite a bit and it still works great.

Chester

Campfire Paella? Now see this is why I love this forum.

A group of us going camping every year, four couples and two or three hundred small children. Every couple hosts dinner on a subsequent night. Last year I made an awesome open fire grilled carnitas, hand made fire roasted tomato salsa and guac. This year? CAMP FIRE PAELLA. Thanks for the idea. Know where to buy a cheap paella pan? Ming wo has them, so does Que Pasa, neither are the low price leader in thier respective marketplace. Someone must sell a twenty dollar paella pan.

Oh, and dinner will be superb. Olives and tumblers of spanish red to start, paella, then maybe I can get Mrs. Talent to make some flan for dessert. Que Pasa sells and excellent Mexican instant flan. Yeah instant isn't ideal, but allowances are made while living in a motorhome. 

Thanks, I'm actually semi-excited about this horrible weekend.

For those with no immediate hope for scoring a paella pan, cast iron pans work wonderfully for making paella.

I did a back to back paella test last night. One cast iron pan with arborio rice and the other with Bomba rice.

Bomba rice is definitely the winner. The arborio produced a paella that tasted like a risotto, the Bomba produced plump individual grains. I've never seen or tasted any rice like this.

I'm sold.

s

For those with no immediate hope for scoring a paella pan, cast iron pans work wonderfully for making paella.

I can back Shelora up on this ... having made campfire paella a couple times with a cast-iron pan. Once was on the Sunshine Coast with some prawns fresh from the dock at Madeira Bay (no mussels unfortunately), and another was at our cabin ... although technically NOT campfire as it was over our wood-burning stove.

A.

another was at our cabin ... although technically NOT campfire as it was over our wood-burning stove.

No open flames here either. My paellas are cooked on an ancient electric stove, made by Frigidaire. 1940's, I believe.

One of the keys to paella, I read, was to have an even heat under the entire the pan's surface. This addresses any issues of one side cooking more than another.

I think I'll make it again tonight.

:smile:

You don't have to drive to Portland to get a paella pan. Just go to paellapan.com and order one on-line. A neighbor and I hold a paella party each year in my backyard so we invested in a 31-inch beauty from this company. It was quite reasonable. As for rice, we sometimes end up using arborio if we can't find authentic Spanish and no one has noticed the difference yet.

This year's paella party is a week Saturday. I'll post some pics after the event.

Paul B

You don't have to drive to Portland to get a paella pan.  Just go to paellapan.com and order one on-line.  A neighbor and I hold a paella party each year in my backyard so we invested in a 31-inch beauty from this company.  It was quite reasonable.  As for rice, we sometimes end up using arborio if we can't find authentic Spanish and no one has noticed the difference yet.

This year's paella party is a week Saturday.  I'll post some pics after the event.

Paul B - I would be happy to come by and take pictures for you. Really - it's no problem. :biggrin:

Paellapan.com? Holy shit, I'm off to register www.icecubetray.com.

Who bets his friends thought he was insane when he said he was going heavily into paella pan etailing? It's a crazy world. Straight men reading fashion magazines, online paella pan peddlers, sprinkling restrictions in the middle of the rainforest, it's a crazy mixed up world.

• 2 weeks later...

[host]

I've moved Paul's post on his Paella Party HERE in the Paella thread in the Cooking forum. Do yourself a favour and have a look! Deliscious looking paella, and that pan!!!

This is also a good time to remind everyone to consider into which forum they should post their thread. The Vancouver/Western Canada forum is for regional discussion. Finding rice for paella in Vancouver is regional. Cooking paella in Vancouver is not.

Thanks!

A.

[/host]

I'm looking for matcha tea but one price I've seen on Denman is $28 for 30g or $128 for 200g!!!!!

Is there any place in Vancouver that sells it for cheaper? Plus, can I simply use a good whisk to mix this instead of buying a $30 bamboo whisk made for matcha tea?

Pretty sure I've seen it for less than that at T&T on Keefer. I don't remember quantities, though, and I'm afraid I know nothing about preparation.

Another place that might be cheap would be Fujiya over near the 128 flavours of gelato store...Venables Street, is it?

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I'm not sure if these places are any cheaper but I do know they carry matcha (can't remember the names):

The tea place in the Granville Island Market (they also make a really good Matcha Chai on the spot)

Also, I've seen matcha sold at the tea place in Park Royal Village

And ... I believe Blenz also sells matcha (not sure how good it is though)

You could try T on West Broadway (near Granville) as well.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I know you can get great pistachio gelato everywhere. My question is why does Safeway, IGA, Superstore...not carry pistachio ice cream? Frankly, I'd like to get a tub of it (one to two litres.)

Anyone seen this at the larger grocery chains?

A lot of stores carry Ben & Jerry's, but for some reason, they don't carry most of the flavours, pistachio being one of the flavours I've never seen here. Anybody know why most stores usually only carry, at most, maybe 8 flavours? Always the same ones too: Cherry Garcia, N.Y. Super Fudge Chunk, Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Half-Baked, Cookie Dough, Mint Chocolate Cookie (which I love), a couple of organic ones. I saw ONE new flavour at Safeway the other day - Fossil Fuel. Another chocolate one.... :hmmm: Not that I don't like chocolate, but a little variety would be nice!

And then there was that time (last year? couple years ago?) when there was NO Ben & Jerry's available anywhere... What happened there?