• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

HELP!

Does anybody know where one can get caviar in the GVRD? I prefer American/Canadian made caviar. Obviously sturgeon. And of course, “whole-sale” prices are always better than retail! :wink:

Thanks so much!!

"Since when do you have to be hungry to eat?"

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

I posted the same question a few weeks ago when I was thinking about using it for a French Laundry dish. Egulleters chimed in with replies--one option is Urban Fare, and another is the fish shop located in Park Royal, I believe.

can you give me the link to that discussion? pweeeease :wub:

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish andhe’ll open up his own place right across the street from yours, steal your sous-chef, talk shit about you, haggle with suppliers, undercut your prices, kiss critics’ ass, steal your clients and you’ll eventually curse the day you taught him how to fish.

I posted the same question a few weeks ago when I was thinking about using it for a French Laundry dish. Egulleters chimed in with replies--one option is Urban Fare, and another is the fish shop located in Park Royal, I believe.

can you give me the link to that discussion? pweeeease :wub:

Jeez! Get a grip! :laugh:

HERE is the link back to Ling's question on caviar. No baby- talk required. :rolleyes:

Also, I've merged your caviar question along with all other sourcing questions into this one UBER-THREAD. Use the search function at the bottom of the page to look for individual ingredients. If nobody's asked, the feel free to ask away.

A.

I'm not sure what the going rate for caviar is these days (I will after this weekend though) but it will rocket soon according to a recent article in The Globe and Mail :blink:

It depends on what you are looking for....as in price.

I've never sourced North American caviar (sturgeon), but just paid $650 for 9 oz of Royal Iranian Osetra. So $73/oz...and that is a volume discount deal.

I don't know what Varieties of Sturgeon live in North America....I do know that there are some in the Fraser River, but that Conservation officers arrest people who catch them as they are scarce.

Have also heard that the Mississippi is another source, but in the north.

Must research this more.

It depends on what you are looking for....as in price.

I've never sourced North American caviar (sturgeon), but just paid $650 for 9 oz of Royal Iranian Osetra.  So $73/oz...and that is a volume discount deal.

I don't know what Varieties of Sturgeon live in North America....I do know that there are some in the Fraser River, but that Conservation officers arrest people who catch them as they are scarce.

Have also heard that the Mississippi is another source, but in the north. 

Must research this more.

Thats a very good price. Where did you get it??

I dont want Russian caviar for several reasons. Mostly because they dont understand the concept of environmently friendly. And also, with the amount of pollution in the Russian rivers, I am surprised the eggs dont glow a healthy green.

• 2 weeks later...
At various times you can find it at

Izumi-ya

Fujiya

Angel Seafoods

Cheers!

About $5 a pop when I saw it at Angel Seafoods during the New Year's sale. The scent of fresh yuzu is unmatched though.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

And you found them where?!!

A freind of a friend has been supplying them all over Southeast Asia (from Singapore to Hongkong) and now started distribution here in Vancouver. Asked me I'd like to help with marketing and so I am checking if there's any interest. If you'd like to get more details e-mail chef@pacificrimgrille.com

Cheers

Any ideas where to find Cavolo Nero/Tuscan Black Cabbage in town? The ribollita gods must be appeased. It's also refered to as black kale, if that helps.

Have you tried Tuscany? Tuscan Black Cabbage. For Pete's sake.

Edited by shelora (log)