• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

Baskin Robbins does a Pistachio Almond...but of course it depends on the store whether they have it or not...They serve Pistachio ice cream at West - maybe they would sell you some...or you could make it - I have a good recipe that I can share. I've never seen it at the grocery store tho...doesn't seem to be a popular flavour out here.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Thanks for the recipe offer Badiane, but I was hoping to buy pistachio ice cream. Guess I'll have to fork out some $$$ and get to a gelato place to buy a pint (no room in my freezer for the ice cream maker cannister.) Whenever I go to these places, it looks popular enough.

Come on ice cream reps, put pistachio ice cream on the store shelves. There is enough chocolate and vanilla variety!

This is my husband's recipe, from his days as a patissiere. Instead of buying pistachio paste, I just grind up some pistachios, or, if I'm in a mood, beat them in a mortar and pestle. I use regular sugar, and Creamo (half and half) or Cereal Cream if I can get it, since that is what is closest to British milk.

6 egg yolks

120g caster sugar

500ml full cream milk

30g pistachio paste

30g shelled pistachio nuts, roughly chopped

1. In a large bowl whisk the yolks with 60g of caster sugar until thick and creamy.

2. Bring the milk and remaining caster sugar to the boil. Remove from the heat and mix in the pistachio paste, stirring until dissolved. Pour the hot milk into the whisked yolks and stir well.

3. Return the pistachio mixture to the pan and cook over a very low heat stirring constantly with a spatula until the mixture thickens enough to coat the spatula.

4. Cool the pistachio custard, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Strain the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen, following manufacturer’s instructions.

5.Mix in the chopped pistachios and freeze until required.

And where is this diner? How do I get there? We LOVE diners!

Edited by Badiane (log)

Scott Stratten

Neptune, Snow Cap etc have normal bakery supplies but I was wondering if there are other places like Qzina who sell a little bit higher end ingredients. At the moment I am looking for 2"tart shells other than that which you find in every grocery store, which are also the ones I imagine the large wholesalers would sell. Qzina has some that look good but I was wondering if anyone else would?

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Anyone know where I could find rennet tablets or drops in the Lower Mainland? I hear the Junket brand aren't as strong as the 'real' rennet. Honestly, I don't know the difference, but I'd be interested in the regular rennet. Thanks!

I have been cultivating a mild interest in cheese making as well. I don't want to hijack the thread, but my guess is that if someone knows the answer to the rennet question they probably know where to get unpastuerized whole milk too, right?

I would start by phoning a local food supplier like Gourmet Warehouse or cheese diva Allison Spurell at Les Amis du Fromage.

The majority of cheesemakers use a vegetarian rennet known as Mucor Miehi in tablet form.

If the two contacts don't help, perhaps try a local cheesemaker.

If you are a true aficionado try to score some real animal rennet.

Ibut my guess is that if someone knows the answer to the rennet question they probably know where to get unpastuerized whole milk too, right?

You can purchase rennet from Danlac at http://www.danlac.com/ or you might try contacting a local cheesemaker and asking if you can buy some...McClennan's, Happy Goats, Farmhouse Natural Cheeses might be places to start.

I believe it is against some kind of health regulations or ridiculous law somewhere for farmers to sell unpasturized milk, so you will need to employ nefarious methods, but it's all in the name of cheese, so it's okay.

First you need to locate a cow pasture with milk cows in it. There is one at the end of the street where my parents live...call me for directions....then you need some equipment...a good bucket and a low stool should do you fine. Approach the cow from the right...make sure the cow sees you. Make eye contact. But not for too long. This will annoy the cow. Give the cow a reassuring pat on the back, and slide your bucket under the udder. Keep up the reassuring pats on the side (tummy area) of the cow. Position your stool slightly to the right of the bucket, not quite mid-cow, but closer to the head than to the butt. Lean over and grasp one teat in each hand. Alternating hands, use a squeeze/pull motion to get the milk out of the cow...aim for the bucket. Watch out for the flicking tail. Once your bucket is full, move it out of the way. This is important because cows kick. Pat the cow a few more times, give her udder a scratch and make eye contact one more time. But again, not for too long, because that really pisses them off. You will need to strain the milk. If you have a milk strainer, great. You could buy one at the Co-op if you are so inclined. If not, a fine sieve and a coffee filter will do. Pour the milk slowly through whichever device you have. Once you have done that, you can let it sit so you can later skim off the cream, or you can chill it as is and proceed with the cheese.

If that sounds too problematic, I can direct you to some fine cheesemakers :laugh:

Scott Stratten

Was at Gourmet Warehouse yesterday and no luck with rennet. Will try the other local suggestions first and post my findings. Thanks for the Danlac website! I'll order from there if I can't find anything locally. I've been wanting to dabble in homemade cream cheese for a while now and the itch just really needs a scratch.

Try any health food store. I have yet to be in one that didn't have both rennet tablets and liquid rennet/vegetarian rennet.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I found these at the PNE's agricultural barn store. They are so delicious and they are made with barley sugar, I believe.

They are larger than your normal bulk size, rectangular in shape and sold for 25 cents each. Unforturnately, I only bought 4, sour berry, rootbeer, apple and blueberry. There are about 15 other flavors. I don't plan to spend more just to get into PNE to buy them. According to their website, they only sell to retailers.

Does anyone know which retailer I can buy them from? I will contact Safeway as they are the sponsor for the PNE's store.

I want to try duplicate the croissants The Secret Garden has and it looks to me like a mini croissant that they have cut in half crosswise before proofing. I could just make them but that takes more time than I've got. I know I can buy a whole case of mini croissants (unbaked) from a wholesaler but I don't want a whole case just yet. I checked at Safeway to see if their bakery would sell me a few but they said no. I know Costco used to sell the large size frozen unbaked but not mini's. Any ideas?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I want to try duplicate the croissants The Secret Garden has and it looks to me like a mini croissant that they have cut in half crosswise before proofing. I could just make them but that takes more time than I've got. I know I can buy a whole case of mini croissants (unbaked) from a wholesaler but I don't want a whole case just yet. I checked at Safeway to see if their bakery would sell me a few but they said no. I know Costco used to sell the large size frozen unbaked but not mini's. Any ideas?

CanadianBakin

You can buy mini crossiants at Save-On Foods for $0.17 ea in the bakery department.

Phone ahead to order them un-cooked/frozen.

cm

I was reading a profile of James Beard tonight and in his desire for a perfect meal he mentioned a BC raised duck, a teal as his ultimate winter meal. He spoke of the farm in the past tense, (although everything is past tense for him now, isn't it?) Anyone know of a former BC duck farm (ranch?) that was reknown? He relates a tale of being served perfect "local" duck on the Yucatan, with the exception of it still having the "Grown in BC" tags attached. Brome Lake from la belle provence is the only "name brand" Canuck duck I can think of. Anyone know if there is anyone farming ducks, specifically teals in BC today? Was there a duck operation in the past?

Cheers

Well I guess I should know the answer to this but....

In any case - we buy our ducks from Armando - and he gets these from somewhere near Chilliwack - so someone is raising them there.

I couldn't tell you if they are teals - but will ask the next time I see him.

provence is the only "name brand" Canuck duck  I can think of. Anyone know if there is anyone farming ducks, specifically teals in BC today? Was there a duck operation in the past?

Cheers

Lyle at Cowichan Bay Farms produces the *best* pasture raised chicken and duck around. Googling 'cowichan bay farms' produced good results. He has won awards from the SPCA for his animal stewardship, and seems like a nice guy to boot!

-- Matt.