• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

BTW, it is absolutely NOTHING like Asparagus.  It's good, but it's more like seaweed than asparagus. 

Yes, it looks like very fine threads of asparagus, tastes even milder than seaweed, and is wonderful with fish. We were in Barcelona recently, where it was being used a lot. I also had it with John Dory (St Pierre) a short while ago in Dublin. In Ireland, it is more commonly called samphire.

Is hijiki considered sea asparagus?

There was some down at the South Seas Trading Company In the GI market last weekend.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

No, I don't believe they are the same thing. I've only ever seen Sea Asparagus sold fresh, the best is still in water, and it's a vibrant green colour and looks like mini asparagus. There are pictures in the link in an earlier post.

Raimac Food Store Equipment

(604) 324-1466

54 69th Ave E

Vancouver, BC

I called and they said they had 3 in stock at about 24 dollars each. I am sure they would order more if you needed quantity.

These are the heavy ones butchers would wear.

Lighter weight dishwasher aprons can be found at any restaurant supply place, or probably uniform suppliers as well.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Ann

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Raimac Food Store Equipment

(604) 324-1466

54 69th Ave E

Vancouver, BC

I called and they said they had 3 in stock at about 24 dollars each. I am sure they would order more if you needed quantity.

These are the heavy ones butchers would wear.

Lighter weight dishwasher aprons can be found at any restaurant supply place, or probably uniform suppliers as well.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Ann

Thanks so much for the info! I'll look into it. :smile:

My guesses would be Marine Drive and Point Grey, both of which sit close to / on the water. Both are also private, though, so the chefs might be sneaking onto the course(s) at night...

The only other course I can think of with oceanfront real estate is Furry Creek, and surely the drive up would make it less economical than buying from GI? Or is it the thrill of the hunt? (The "hunt" of vegetables.)

I can see the headlines now. "Marine Drive Golf Course Trampled By Sea Asparagus Poachers - witnesses report crop circles spelling 'eGullet rulz' "

We've harvested sea asparagus when we were camping up the sunshine coast. We just picked it a low tide and eaten it steamed with our BBQ salmon. You've probably seen it, walked over it in you bare feet and not known what it was! I'd be carefull about adding salt, though, It's usually salty enough from the ocean.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I just went to Meinhardt on Saturday and the sale ended already... and they even ran out of the 64% dark baking bars. :'(

I did end up buying one of their specialty 64% bars for $11. It was so expensive... and there were so many to choose from. I ended up with a Madagascar 64% dark and it was very very smooth. Unfortunately the flavour lacked character. I would have to say Scharffen Berger's flavour is a lot bolder and lingers around in my mouth after I'm done eating.

I just went to Meinhardt on Saturday and the sale ended already... and they even ran out of the 64% dark baking bars.  :'(

I did end up buying one of their specialty 64% bars for $11.  It was so expensive... and there were so many to choose from.  I ended up with a Madagascar 64% dark and it was very very smooth.  Unfortunately the flavour lacked character.  I would have to say Scharffen Berger's flavour is a lot bolder and lingers around in my mouth after I'm done eating.

I was over at Whole Foods this afternoon and they had the Valrhona Chocolate priced at $14, so i think you did alright with $11. :cool:

Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is. - P. J. O'Rourke

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can get some Bomba Rice to make Paella in the lower mainland.

I've read on the internet about using authentic Spanish rice and only this for paella. So I want to be able to try this out.

I've been using medium grain rice and getting pretty good results. If I find the spanish rice will it turn out that much better?

Chester

I would recommend the "Spanish Table: www.spanishtable.com

I believe they are located in Seattle and you can get Spanish products via their website--including Bomba rice-around $8 for two kilos! (cheaper than my local Whole Foods).

also they have a great selection of cookware (paella pans etc).

Their service has been good in my experience.

Hope this helps!

I do not recall if there are any Williams & Sonoma in Canada... I have purchased Spanish rice in their American locations. Taking into consideration that it was a 1 kg package, it was not extremely expensive, less than 8 US $.

Alex

I know you asked for the lower mainland, but in Victoria, Ottavio sells Bomba rice.

www.ottaviovictoria.com

2272 Oak Bay Ave., 250-592-4080

Why is it the choice for making paella?

I'm adding that the Bomba rice is $10.75 for a 1 kilo bag at Ottavio.

Now, I'm too curious to let this go and will have to go buy a bag and do a tasting with arborio and med. grain rice.

I had no idea that Spain grew rice. Amazing.

FYI

Paella is all about the rice.

The Spaniards have a long history of growing rice (they invented paella after all).

Spanish rice is short grain.

The best book/source (IMOP) on paella (and Spanish cooking in general) is Penelope Casas.

She strongly urges the use of Spanish rice like Bomba in paella and notes that Italian Arborio can be used as a last resort.

We tend to view paella in terms of its ingredients (seafood, chicken etc) rather than a rice dish where the rice is the key element. The Spanish focus on the rice.

In this regard it is like risotto. If you don't get the rice right the rest of the dish really doesn't matter.

I have found that paella is very easy to make (I especially love it made over a wood fire--on the grill).

It also has lots of room for personal taste-and experimentation.

I also have found that when learning to make it -it is best to keep it simple--focus on the rice and keep the other ingredients to a minimum. Once you get the rice down--the rest is pretty easy! It is also a lot of fun!

There's an active thread in the Cooking forum all about Paella. CLICK hear to read it.

This thread is about where to get siad rice in the Lower Mainland ...

I'd be cheking out the latin markets on Commercial Drive myself. I have no knowledge of the rice being there ... but that's where I'd look.

A.

Campfire Paella? Now see this is why I love this forum.

A group of us going camping every year, four couples and two or three hundred small children. Every couple hosts dinner on a subsequent night. Last year I made an awesome open fire grilled carnitas, hand made fire roasted tomato salsa and guac. This year? CAMP FIRE PAELLA. Thanks for the idea. Know where to buy a cheap paella pan? Ming wo has them, so does Que Pasa, neither are the low price leader in thier respective marketplace. Someone must sell a twenty dollar paella pan.

Oh, and dinner will be superb. Olives and tumblers of spanish red to start, paella, then maybe I can get Mrs. Talent to make some flan for dessert. Que Pasa sells and excellent Mexican instant flan. Yeah instant isn't ideal, but allowances are made while living in a motorhome.

Thanks, I'm actually semi-excited about this horrible weekend.

Hi Chester,

I know that Charelli's in Victoria carries good Spanish rice to make Paella. I can't remember if it's Bomba rice though. They will however do mail orders for any of their products. It might be worth checking out. You can contact they via their website at charellis.com.

Charlie

Does anyone know where I can get some Bomba Rice to make Paella in the lower mainland.

I've read on the internet about using authentic Spanish rice and only this for paella.  So I want to be able to try this out.

I've been using medium grain rice and getting pretty good results.  If I find the spanish rice will it turn out that much better?

Chester