• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

I looked everywhere for Shiso plants one year, more often called Perilla. I finally found them at: Art Knapp Urban Garden (1401 Hornby Street 604-662-3303)

I love shiso with japanese umeboshi plums, but my favourite preparation is a rice paper wrap with shiso and fresh plums or other fruits like nectarines and mango, wrapped with red pepper, sunflower spouts, cracked pepper.

Slice them, drissle them with vinegars, and eat them like sushi, they're a glorious summer snack.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

She is going to try and order shiso with her next live herb order, but doesn't know if they are available right now.

When she calls me I'll post the outcome here.

I don't think they'll be available till May or June though and they couldn't be planted outside till late May anyway...unless our early spring comes back and stays. :smile:

Thank you so much! I look forward to hearing! I am planning on keeping them on an inside windowsill until they are hearty. :wink:

Cheers!

I looked everywhere for Shiso plants one year, more often called Perilla.  I finally found them at:  Art Knapp Urban Garden (1401 Hornby Street 604-662-3303)

Unfortunately, Art's closed sometime last year and the building was bulldozed. I think it's condos now.

Hmmm....does anyone know how Shiso fairs on a windowsill?

I've looked all over for Shiso this year. I had a lady from Dig This call WestCoast seeds, and I was told that there is no Shiso seed anywhere in North America for this season. I find that hard to believe, but it may be difficult to find unless you have a friend with a package of seeds from last year.

If you can find seed, it should fare quite well on a windowsill.

I looked everywhere for Shiso plants one year, more often called Perilla.  I finally found them at:  Art Knapp Urban Garden (1401 Hornby Street 604-662-3303)

Unfortunately, Art's closed sometime last year and the building was bulldozed. I think it's condos now.

Art you sure? I haven't seen any bulldozing there. There is bulldozing 1 block east on the corner of Howe and Pacific - where the service station and Hungarian restaurant used to be - they are turning it into the Pomaria development. But isn't Urban Garden the one adjacent to the seafood restaurant? I think that is still there.

Cheers!

It is still there. In the same block as Kettle of Fish, one storefront south. Happy perilla-ing!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I found shiso leaves for sale - Fujiya and Angel Seafood both have them available. Just not the plant. Hm....A challenge indeed. Are you going to make me start a grow-up??!!?!?!?

Cheers!

There was a big pile of them at whole foods yesterday. They looked quite nice too - they also had very large ones for sale (2 for $5) - which are decent prices (even compared to California prices where they are grown).

I notice that whole foods does'nt get much mention here - but I think that they have good products and decent prices. I've compared pricing against Capers and even Santa Barbara - and Whole Foods is very competitive (especially vs Capers).

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Great thanks.

By the way, I agree that Whole Foods can have good deals. I also think Thrifty's (only in Tsawwassen on the mainland, but I understand they are expanding) often has good produce and prices. They have the best citrus fruit I've had here.

It is just a location thing for me, I don't have reason to be on the North Shore often so I forget about Whole Foods unless I make a specific food/wine trip.

Cheers,

Anne

You are wrong about Whole Foods, they got lots of love here when they first opened. I think thier produce and meat are exceptional. The prices for both are competitive for the quality. If I didn't live in Maple Ridge I would shop there regularly.

Santa Barbara has excellent produce, especially Italian style items like artichokes and rapini.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I was just in Vancouver last weekend and purchased - like I always do when on the Drive - a big bag of baby artichokes.

I did have to pick through them this time - Santa Barbara was ready to make another order - but I've already eaten them, most of them by myself with salt, lemon and olive oil.

Price? I really didn't notice. I have always found produce very, very affordable on the Drive. In fact, produce shopping is always on my list when in Van. Repeated requests for them in Victoria, have turned up blank stares, so I wait for a Vancouver excursion. Seems no matter what time of year, Santa Barbara always has them.

s

• 2 weeks later...
I've looked all over for Shiso this year. I had a lady from Dig This call WestCoast seeds, and I was told that there is no Shiso seed anywhere in North America for this season.  I find that hard to believe, but it may be difficult to find unless you have a friend with a package of seeds from last year.

If  you can find seed, it should fare quite well on a windowsill.

Hugh - once Moss Street Market starts up - talk with the women from Umi Nami Farm (they usually position themselves closest to the corner of Moss & Fairfield). They grow shiso - and can likely supply you with a healthy plant.

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Wandering through Granville Market on Friday I found "the herb guy" back and selling his wares across from Oyama sausage in one of the temporary stands. I asked about Shiso and he said he has it in the greenhouse and should bring it to the market 2 weekends from now. He said he has 3 varieties - green, red, and red/green.

So the green shiso will soon hit the herb garden! :wink:

Thanks for everyone's advice on tracking it down. (Especially to Chef Metcalf for tracking down and reserving a red shiso a while back.)

Cheers!

Wandering through Granville Market on Friday I found "the herb guy" back and selling his wares across from Oyama sausage in one of the temporary stands.  I asked about Shiso and he said he has it in the greenhouse and should bring it to the market 2 weekends from now.  He said he has 3 varieties - green, red, and red/green. 

So the green shiso will soon hit the herb garden!  :wink:

Thanks for everyone's advice on tracking it down.  (Especially to Chef Metcalf for tracking down and reserving a red shiso a while back.)

Cheers!

2 weekends from now...do you think someone can remind me of that. Really would appreciate it.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder! Just picked it up today. He had the green variety, red variety, and the green with red back variety (Korean type I believe?). Plants seemed to be in healthy condition. Picked up a green. :wink:

Cheers!

Reminder!  Just picked it up today.  He had the green variety, red variety, and the green with red back variety (Korean type I believe?).  Plants seemed to be in healthy condition.  Picked up a green.  :wink:

Cheers!

Thank you. I'm hoping the e-gullet stampede hasn't gone through yet and he still has some plants left by tomorrow.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

That same gentleman has some wasabi plants as well. Unfortunately, they are better outside, so I didn't get one. I just have to hope that the one my mom got has a big enough harvest for the two of us. His other herbs are gorgeous too. I picked up some Lemon Thyme, Pineapple Sage and Grenoble Basil yesterday.

You can also pick it up at that Japanese market near Lansdowne....it's similar to a Fujiya...I have to double-check the name for you.

Izumi-ya? Yup, I saw flats of the little seedlings there a week ago.

This wonderful shop is tucked away on Alderbridge, just half a block west of No. 3 Road.

Edited by nondual1 (log)

Thanks for the tip on this market. I hadn't been there before. Nice selection of Japanese products. They had a few live shiso plants as well. Many had been pretty badly bug eaten though. (Perhaps something snuck in overnight?!?!?!)

The rest of the store had a good selection and picked up some ume, konyaku, etc.

Cheers!