• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver/Western Canada Ingredient Sources Topic

you can purchase rose water in most indian shops-at least here in new jersey

i haven't seen lavender water-

there is orange flower water made by same company as rose flower water i purchase-it is in a dark blue small bottle-

when i get home i will look at bottle to find name and address-

if you want flavored syrups you can purchase these from online from monin

joanne

There are a number of Persian stores on the north shore that may carry what you are looking for. Certainly rosewater should be easy to obtain not sure about lavendar water. One of the stores that I am thinking about is on 1860 Lonsdale, Yaas Bazaar. You could give them a call about lavender water.

There is also rose water available of at all places Real Canadian superstore in the ethnic foods aisle. I don't think they have lavender though.

Another place to try is the small persian shop on Robson street immediately east of Denman (next to the bookstore that burned down last year). The name of the shop is slipping my mind right now. It is across the street from the Safeway all the way on the left.

Cheers!

you can purchase rose water in most indian shops-at least here in new jersey

i haven't seen lavender water-

there is orange flower water made by same company as rose flower water i purchase-it is in a dark blue small bottle-

when i get home i will look at bottle to find name and address-

if you want flavored syrups you can purchase these from  online from monin

joanne

Orange Flower Water produced in France by A.Monteux-Vallauris(Alpes Mmes)

Whole Foods in West Van carry Rose Water in the herbs & spices aisle. It costs $4.19 for 3 oz.

Don't think they have Lavender Water but maybe you could make your own by infusing culinary-suitable dried lavender - Capers sells this loose so you can buy as little or as much as you think you need. You'll have to experiment with the quantity to suit your own tastes but, as a rough guide, when I make lavender ice cream, I use between 1 and 1.5 teaspoons to 2 cups of cream.

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." Oscar Wilde

By the way, when I was in the Real Canadian Superstore yesterday on Marine Drive I checked the price and they had both Rose Water and Orange Blossom water in their ethnic food aisle for $1.88 for a 9 oz. bottle. They keep it near the cous cous.

Cheers!

Drive Organics on Commercial Drive has organic Meyer Lemons.

They also have the most amazing selection of mushrooms (in mushroom season...) and other yummy, unusual produce throughout the year. They are also not a franchise - lets support our local small businesses! :smile:

(they are across the street from Tony's deli)

Sonja

The belly rules the mind.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi.  Does anyone know where I can purchase a live shiso plant to add to my herb planter?  I've tried a few garden shops and none seem to have one. 

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Last year I purchased some from the Italian Deli (sorry, don't know the name) in the market area of Park Royal (3" pots).

I also found some Thai Basil plants at the organic market outside of Lonsdale Quay and I think he also had shiso.

It was around May/June so you may have to wait awhile.

I'll ask for you next time I'm at Park Royal.

One of my neighbours also picked some up at the Van Dusen plant sale. Purple and green varieties were available.

Right now I have a friend who is trying to get some Kaffir Lime cuttings going in his greenhouse for me. If we have any luck, I'll pass one onto you.

cm

For the past few years, I've been getting my shiso plant from Fujiya. They don't carry it all the time, but usually in early summer. Maybe you should give them a call and see when they'll have it again. Tel: 604.251.3711 (Clark & Venables location). My sister-in-law lets them flower and seed. Now she has huge shiso plants in the back garden (both green and purple shisos). They need a lot of sunshine. Good luck!!

Thanks for the tips! I just called Fujiya and they said they don't have it right now, but may in the Fall. I would guess summer myself. But hey, what do I know?

I appreciate you checking next time you are at Park Royal, Chef! And I will certainly check that organic market by the Quay next time I'm in North Van.

Thank you!

Cheers!

Why not start some from seed. The stuff self-seeds readily all over my garden and my gardeners are continually digging it out of the beds where I don't want it.Seeds of Change

is a good place from which to order the seeds.

It sprouts and grows rapidly but you can start it in a pot on a window sill then transplant it into the garden when it is warm enough.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Being a low maintenance gardener, I highly recommend growing Shiso from seed.

If I can grow it, you can grow it, believe me. We shall be planted some this weekend. I have purchased small plants in the past from Fujiya here in Victoria and farmer's markets. Dang that stuff is good. The leaves dipped in tempura and fried. Wow. And julienned and mixed with natto. Fantastic.

I want some plants too. Pieces of chicken with a dab of umeboshi paste wrapped in shiso leaves and grilled is delicious. How about Figaro's garden store on Victoria?

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Vancouver,

I asked today when I was at Park Royal.

The name of the store in the Market area is Prima Italian (it beside the bakery that's just across from Extra Foods or Supervalue as the signage still calls it years after the switch over).

She is going to try and order shiso with her next live herb order, but doesn't know if they are available right now.

When she calls me I'll post the outcome here.

I don't think they'll be available till May or June though and they couldn't be planted outside till late May anyway...unless our early spring comes back and stays. :smile:

If anyone wants to order herb seeds through a Canadian source, Richters has great variety and lots of exotic, hard to find herbs. Although I didn't see shiso in there, they seem to have everything else.

cm